Poor Pretty Eddie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Poor Pretty Eddie Reviews

½ December 31, 2015
Lesley Uggams is terrorized by Shelley Winters, something that Winters had been doing to movie audiences for years.
½ November 24, 2015
Also called Heartbreak Motel where I have left my review.
½ December 19, 2014
Low rent, badly acted with Shelley chewing the scenery shamelessly. Distasteful and tawdry.
½ January 23, 2013
I generally like these types of movies but this one drags and the payoff is not so great. I am glad I watched it but I can't imagine sitting through it again.
½ December 19, 2012
interesting movie. not predictable in any way. if possible watch the extra feature with cast interviews-- which is more entertaining than the actual movie and will give you an appreciation for the final product.
March 31, 2012
Definitely worth a watch, but I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Still not sure what all took place.
January 12, 2012
A soul singer played by Leslie Uggams finds herself at the mercy of a family of rednecks in the South when her car breaks down.

The film is loaded with puzzling moments, as all of the rednecks have their own weird quirks, including Slim Pickens as the unsympathetic town sheriff.

Very strange little film, worth a look for fans of the Hicksploitation genre.
½ September 23, 2011
The most interesting movie movie buffs have never heard of. It could be because it isn't psychotic enough to compete with Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or polished enough to compete with Deliverance, but this hillybillysploitation flick falls somewhere in between the two, and the producers reveal a strong sense of late-'60s/early-'70s film style that is partly a photocopy and partly an evolutionary step.

This is exactly the kind of movie that southerners would say underlines an extreme liberal, anti-Southern U.S. bias in Hollywood. And they'd be right. But then again, something about the whole thing doesn't feel that far-fetched.

One of a kind.
May 9, 2011
This is an incredible film. It is certainly exploitative, yet very well made. "Poor Pretty Eddie" is not only one of my favorite exploitation films, but also one of my favorite films. Fortunately it was just released in a DVD/BLU RAY combo package by "Cultra" and the presentation is lovely!

This amazing classic finally got the proper DVD release it has deserved for years and years!! I can toss out my bootleg and now have this to add to my collection!!
½ April 7, 2011
A black female singer's car breaks down in a redneck town and a wannabe country singer takes a shine to her, keeping her prisoner with the help of oddball yokels. This strange, sleazy hicksploitation drama contains some very surreal moments, including one of the oddest rape scenes ever filmed: it's intercut with footage of dogs mating and scored to a "one-night stand" country ballad. Not a masterpiece by any means but an interesting exploitation curiosity---fans of offbeat 1970s drive-in movies will rate this one high.
February 4, 2011
Classic Hicksploitation, and one of my all time favorites. It's got a great Southern setting, with an excellent performance by Michael Christian as Eddie. Raw, gritty, sleazy, and just fantastic! I love it! 5/5
½ July 11, 2010
As another FB reviewer put it, "crazy, sleazy and wrong." But if you like that kind of thing, then this blaxploitation/hillbillysploitation rape-and-revenge flick is oh so right.
May 22, 2010
A movie so crazy, sleazy and wrong, i can't help but wonder what it was like on set everyday. Recommended, but really only for fans of this sort of thing to begin with.
April 30, 2010
Such an epic flick. Cream of the crop hickploitation!!!
½ January 7, 2010
Poor Pretty Eddie aka Redneck County Rape is by far near the top of my list of werid movies, it seems like a bunch of idiots got together one night and got really drunk and then proceeded to write down every strange plot device you could think up and threw it into this film. Winters and Pickens are perfect as two utterly backwards rednecks, the rest of the cast does a nice job as well as other rednecks and of course the victim. The main thing that really grabbed my intrest in this film is that the plot tries so hard to stay away from logic, most of the twists and turns throughout the film will have you saying WTF. Don't miss the main rape scene which seems to be competing with the rape scene in Straw Dogs for most bizarre rape scene on film. The start might be a little on the slow side, but seriously your life will be changed forever!
½ December 14, 2009
This is a really hard film to review. On one level, it's impossible to say it's actually a good movie - it's mostly incoherent and incompetently made exploitation clearly trying to cash in on the success of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. On the other hand, it's a strangely innovative and fascinating piece of work that needs to be seen to be believed - aided along by the presence of veteran character actors Shelly Winters and Slim Pickens. Definitely not for everyone, but cult movie fans with a taste for the absurd will find it fascinating and well worth watching despite its glaring flaws.
½ November 30, 2009
WOW, is this awful. Hard to imagine a more grating screen presence than the title character, and the film also features some of the tackiest use of Sam Peckinpah-style slow motion ever seen. All that's worth saving are a few fun moments with those hammy old pros Shelley Winters and Slim "Well, I Do Dee-Clare" Pickens.
November 28, 2009
November 15, 2009
Never travel the back country alone "juicy" (one of the character's descriptions) women. A southern sociopath with Elvis homoerotic longing may rape you, feed you a dog, and force you into marriage. (Preempted by a bloodbath!)

Grindhouse highlights: The protagonist was a woman of color (Leslie Uggums) and a big pop star which was a welcome change from the usual survivor suspect (white, suburban, endowed, blah). Diversity, not just with the racial tip but the socioeconomic implications. She was wealthy, respected, and (wait for it!) a minority. A big step in 1975.

Splicing: The director edited the rape scene with images of a hunting dog stud service in session (what would Andrea Dworkin think?).

Worth checking out for the "camera" work. The best lines:

"Yankees are like hemorrhoids if they come and go then they're okay but when they choose to stay then they are a pain in the ass!"

"What does she fart Chanel No. 5?" Bertha to Eddie about Liz.
November 5, 2009
as far as the horror genre gos....this is it! with a plot and Shelley carries the load as only she can do