Pootie Tang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pootie Tang Reviews

May 21, 2018
Astounded at the low reviews.I thought Pootytang would be stupid, but it was deeply clever, fantastically original and really, reeeally funny.
May 3, 2018
Platinum recording artist Pootie Tang (Lance Crouther) has to figure out how to get his mojo back after the scandalous Ireenie (Jennifer Coolidge) steals his magical belt that is the source of both his power and swag. Sound dumb? Well, it is. But it's damn funny and I challenge anyone not to laugh without cracking up at the absurdity of it all.

Acting: 10

Beginning: 10

Characters: 10
Pootie provides the most hilarious moments in the film. As it opens, Pootie is having an interview with Bob Costas and you quickly learn that Pootie speaks his own language literally. For the sake of this review, let's call it Pootie Slang. The audience doesn't understand Pootie Slang, but the world he lives in can somehow make out every word he's saying. Best example I can think of: Groot speech. The words he says are enough to make you laugh, but it's the confidence in which the lines are delivered that take it to a whole new level. Pootie's got swag. For whatever reason, the ladies love him and everyone respects him, including the "Tippy ties" (those are children, by the way). It's one of those films you have to see to understand.

If Pootie isn't enough, there's an array of characters that keep the film entertaining. There's Biggy Shorty (Wanda Sykes), Pootie's love interest who has an eccentric style of dress and will slap the taste out of the mouth of anyone that disrespects Pooty. Then you have Trucky, Pootie's loudmouth friend that basically lives off of Pootie's success. Dirty Dee (Reg E. Cathey), the dirty scoundrel who walks around constantly covered in muck. My personal favorite: Lacey (Mario Joyner) who has a special knack for repeating everything a person said as if it were his idea. I could go on...

Cinematography/Visuals: 7
You haven't laughed until you have seen eight-year-old Pootie walking down a street while a woman three times his age throws his big wheel out the window because she's mad at him. You haven't laughed until you see Pootie's father get attacked at his job by a "gorilla" which is really someone in a gorilla costume. You really haven't laughed until you've seen Pootie record a song with absolutely no sound as he silently screams into the mic. And you really haven't laughed...well, you get my point.

Conflict: 10

Genre: 8

Memorability: 7

Pace: 7
Pacing was a bit spotty at times. When it's rolling, it's really rolling. However, there were a handful of dry spots where the film didn't seem like it knew where it was headed.

Plot: 6
The plot is all over the place at times, like watching a grenade explode. It has a direct line of sight, sure. There is a clear beginning, middle, and end. It's all the filler between these three things where the film goes south. There is a bit of forgiveness here as Pootie Tang manages to stay humorous even when it's confusing. Sometimes the confusion is what makes things funny. The writing definitely could have been stronger in certain points.

Resolution: 9

Overall: 84
Will Pootie Tang ever win an award for underrated comedy? No. Is it a pretty darn good time that makes you laugh consistently? Absolutely. It's dumb, but that's what makes it endearing. Honestly, I don't think it's any less dumb than a Bill and Ted film or *insert Pauly Shore film here* and those are regarded as cult classics. Just saying...Give it a chance. Maybe you hate it, but it's going to leave you laughing a few times and that's all that matters.

P.S.--Did I really just mention Groot and Pootie Tang in the same review? Wow.
February 11, 2018
It has its moments, but falls short. Some good stuff though.
½ September 26, 2017
off half a star for being not nearly long enough to quench my pa ditay on the beech bam hammaday. LOUIS CK, MAKE A SEQUEL TO SAVE THE TIPPIE TAIS
½ September 23, 2017
Guilty pleasure. Wanda Sykes crushes Biggy-Shortie.
½ September 13, 2017
My only question is how on Earth is Louis C.K. a part of this? I don't even see his style of humor in it. It's like they just put his name on it for fun, or like he owed someone, or lost a bet with Lucifer himself. It's not even satire. It's like a scene by scene competition for who can make the most irrelevant garbage. Positively, you absolutely MUST be high to like this. Hell, you must be high just to tolerate it. I feel like Louis C.K. needs to pay reparations to the whole black community for this waste of film.
July 31, 2017
dumbest movie ever, but kind of hilarious too
½ July 5, 2017
How this movie gets such low ratings is beyond me! I've watched it numerous times, and it's still hilarious. Pootie's bizarre look and his singular command of the Pootieish language are so absurd that his status as a hero are unlikely, but Pootie's cool is what makes him so likable and funny. No doubt that the movie goes for its share of cheap laughs, but when you find yourself peppering your own language with all-purpose one-liners like "Sa da tey" and "you a baddy daddy lamatei tebby chai!" it's impossible to ignore the subtle brilliance of this underrated comedy. Not everyone will get into it, but it's definitely destined to be a cult classic.
June 30, 2017
If you don't like this movie, we can't be friends.
March 21, 2017
This movie is hillarious, it is so absurd and aware of it's absurdity it approaches comic genius level.

You might miss the humor if you're not familiar with black culture or appreciate it though.
March 29, 2016
Never anything before or after it. i dare you forget this movie!
January 7, 2016
I didn't know what I was getting into, and I'm not sure what I got out. I can't tell if it was supposed to be as bad as it was or not. Probably, but considering Chris Rock's other movies at the time, I really have no idea. It was dumb, and I'm not sure if it was in a good way. Reminded me a lot of Kung Pow!
½ January 2, 2016
Dec 27, 2015

Oberholtzer home

Nikki Oberholtzer
Sarah Oberholtzer
Gary Oberholtzer
December 31, 2015
Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, and now Pootie Tang, a true American classic.
½ December 1, 2015
I have only occasionally sat through attempted humor that was as painful to watch as this. I get that blaxploitation movies are somewhat ripe for satire, but isn't satire humorous on some level? I read reviews where people say "It was so bad I laughed myself silly in spite of myself!" You'd have to be pretty damned silly in the first place to think it's funny. I am a big Louie CK fan, but he must have been in a medically induced coma when he wrote this. I would rather have a root canal than watch 5 minutes more of this movie, which I only saw 15 minutes of in the first place.
November 8, 2015
It has been awhile so caught it again tonight. I love Chris Rock's humor.
October 26, 2015
I don't know why but I actually like this one. Fuck me right? It's silly and it knows it, gives laugh and don't overstay it's welcome.
½ September 6, 2015
one of my all-time favorites, I've seen it many times but only tonight
did i realize it was written, produced and directed by Louis CK. and now i like it even more! =)
February 13, 2015
seen before on tv but wil not show on internet
February 2, 2015
Sepatown my damie, Pootie Tang takes the tippi tai to the dillies. Still, it's not wa-da-tah to the shama cow, and there's some capachow on the runny kine. A sly pannie stai, Pootie Tang is sa-da-tay!