Pootie Tang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pootie Tang Reviews

July 31, 2017
dumbest movie ever, but kind of hilarious too
½ July 16, 2017
It has its moments, but falls short.
½ July 5, 2017
How this movie gets such low ratings is beyond me! I've watched it numerous times, and it's still hilarious. Pootie's bizarre look and his singular command of the Pootieish language are so absurd that his status as a hero are unlikely, but Pootie's cool is what makes him so likable and funny. No doubt that the movie goes for its share of cheap laughs, but when you find yourself peppering your own language with all-purpose one-liners like "Sa da tey" and "you a baddy daddy lamatei tebby chai!" it's impossible to ignore the subtle brilliance of this underrated comedy. Not everyone will get into it, but it's definitely destined to be a cult classic.
June 30, 2017
If you don't like this movie, we can't be friends.
March 21, 2017
This movie is hillarious, it is so absurd and aware of it's absurdity it approaches comic genius level.

You might miss the humor if you're not familiar with black culture or appreciate it though.
March 29, 2016
Never anything before or after it. i dare you forget this movie!
January 7, 2016
I didn't know what I was getting into, and I'm not sure what I got out. I can't tell if it was supposed to be as bad as it was or not. Probably, but considering Chris Rock's other movies at the time, I really have no idea. It was dumb, and I'm not sure if it was in a good way. Reminded me a lot of Kung Pow!
½ January 2, 2016
Dec 27, 2015

Oberholtzer home

Nikki Oberholtzer
Sarah Oberholtzer
Gary Oberholtzer
December 31, 2015
Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, and now Pootie Tang, a true American classic.
½ December 1, 2015
I have only occasionally sat through attempted humor that was as painful to watch as this. I get that blaxploitation movies are somewhat ripe for satire, but isn't satire humorous on some level? I read reviews where people say "It was so bad I laughed myself silly in spite of myself!" You'd have to be pretty damned silly in the first place to think it's funny. I am a big Louie CK fan, but he must have been in a medically induced coma when he wrote this. I would rather have a root canal than watch 5 minutes more of this movie, which I only saw 15 minutes of in the first place.
November 8, 2015
It has been awhile so caught it again tonight. I love Chris Rock's humor.
October 26, 2015
I don't know why but I actually like this one. Fuck me right? It's silly and it knows it, gives laugh and don't overstay it's welcome.
½ September 6, 2015
one of my all-time favorites, I've seen it many times but only tonight
did i realize it was written, produced and directed by Louis CK. and now i like it even more! =)
February 13, 2015
seen before on tv but wil not show on internet
February 2, 2015
Sepatown my damie, Pootie Tang takes the tippi tai to the dillies. Still, it's not wa-da-tah to the shama cow, and there's some capachow on the runny kine. A sly pannie stai, Pootie Tang is sa-da-tay!
½ January 26, 2015
Really stupid and really funny
½ October 24, 2014
Criminally underrated. Sure, it's simplistic and relies mostly on one joke (sa da tay!) but the only real problem is the fact that it drags in some parts (especially just past the halfway mark) which is a bit of a letdown for a movie that only runs a little over 80 minutes. Otherwise if you enjoy Chris Rock, Andy Richter, J.B. Smoove and Louis C.K.'s style of comedy you should enjoy this unless you never seen a blaxploitation flick or you're racist.
½ July 25, 2014
Top 3 worst movies I have ever seen has a new member, behind only Pluto Nash (2002) and Limelight (1952).
Written and directed by Louis C.K. you might expect amusement, but this movie was sheer agony! It had the humor value of a 1 min comedy bit, but they made 70 minutes of it. Turns out this is exactly what happened - Pootie Tang was a indeed originally a sketch character in The Chris Rock Show. Man, should've left it there.
I might not be in the target audience of this spoof, considering I haven't watched a blaxploitation movie in my life, but damn, this was fucking awful!
July 20, 2014
I had no idea what this was but it quickly became clear this is an all star comedy which few would have head of but subsequently I think probably has a cult falling and for good reason. Its funny, not all the time sometimes it misses but definitely different and Louis CK so funny.
June 17, 2014
I love it for how horrible it is. Cracks this cracker up!