Popi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Popi Reviews

½ August 27, 2015
A father honestly trying to do what is best for his boys. Touching and well made.
August 20, 2015
heart warming comedy
March 3, 2012
Heartbreaking. Loved Alan Arkin in this role.
January 31, 2011
The promising premise, well cast children, and well acted Arkin character makes the film engaging despite its bogging down with a script that's overly fantastical and full of illogical loopholes.
Movie Monster
November 22, 2010
This is more of a reccomendation more than a review. First of all, this is one of the most misrated films I've seen. Okay, it was released in 1969 and it has a "G" rating. Should have been "PG" because the first half of the film has some serious subject matter. The first half is very serious while the last half is more of comedy. It stars Alan Arkin as a troubled single Puertorican father who fears about his two son's futures. He decides to put them in a boat and let them find a better life with a new family when they hit the shore. But he dosen't feel like he's doing the right thing. The movie is pretty intriguing. I only saw bits of it. That is why I don't have a rating for it but I did catch the main plot. Check it out but you will loathe the ending.
flixsterman
½ August 21, 2010
Although it buckles a little under the weight of it's preposterous premise, it's still a must-see for Alan Arkin fans. He's truly at the top of his game.
July 10, 2010
Popi is a beautiful, Hispanic film about love shared between cultures. Whatever you do, it's worth watching.
April 24, 2010
This movie made me cry and cry as a youth
½ January 8, 2010
Arkin is so good in this movie, sooo good...an inspiring but not overly sentimental story...United Artists distributed some great movies during this (late '60s early '70s) era. It's too bad about the cheesy Sesame Street soundtrack.
November 12, 2009
Funny and vibrant. Alan Arkin is a force of nature here.
September 10, 2009
This is supposed to be one of the best and most popular movies of all time in its native country, but it didn't really do it for me.
½ May 29, 2009
this was a good ass movie...
½ August 11, 2007
lol...yea i love this movie
March 26, 2007
Yet again I say, Alan Arkin deserved his Oscar this year. This is a powerfully quiet film about love and the lengths to which a parent might go in order to express that love. Arkin's misguided plan to find a better life for his sons only goes to prove that the bounds of familial love are often too strong to break, no matter how altruistic the intentions may be.