Porcile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Porcile Reviews

May 16, 2018
A great journey inside the human passions and their transgressions.
½ April 28, 2014
Not exactly a difficult film to appreciate, but perhaps a difficult film to warm up to. It features two alternating plot lines. In the first one, Pierre Clťmenti and Franco Citti lead a tribe of rampaging cannibals around the desolate countryside of Mount Etna until they are captured and ritually destroyed by the Church. The second plot starts out a bit like a late 60s Godard film, with Jean-Pierre Lťaud and Anne Wiazemsky have long discussions avout Marxist theory. It soon evovles into a fierce satire of bourgeoise complicity. It doesn't seem like the two plots are specifically related even thematically, but they fit together in an emotional sense. This is a very angry film.
May 1, 2013
A puzzle inside an enigma.
April 3, 2013
Two stories, one set in the past about a young cannibal and another in the present, about a rich young man's hate for human relationships. Pigsty is among Pasolini's most enigmatic films, and also perhaps his most difficult one. Its unhurried pace and detatched storyline makes it pretty difficult to watch, but the film has an underlying dark satire feels pretty inspired.
½ March 23, 2013
Good, but not enough. The connection between two narratives is so weak.
December 23, 2012
Two alternating tales, each with a neglected young adult male protagonist, one early modern (not medieval) and poor, the other late modern and rich, both animalized. Puzzling and thought-provoking.
June 23, 2012
Two stories unfold regarding loss of humanity and compassion, and I couldn't work out which one I was more bored by.
January 10, 2012
(I think that) Pasolini's point is that in all the years of mankind, mankind itself has not come very far, that people are still the same pigs that they always were. I like this idea. The movie itself is less engaging. It doesn't seem to find the best way to portray this idea, and it meanders quite a bit. The structure is too spastic and inconsistent. Nonetheless, the visuals are well done and, again, there are some good ideas strewn about.
December 31, 2011
Experimental garbage.
November 30, 2011
Exhibits the worst excesses of 60s cinema, including an annoying pretentiousness and a focus on SYMBOLISM.
½ November 27, 2011
A very good film, if not great by the master Pasolini. I actually did not understand it, very difficult to understand the dialogue in the modern day story. I loved the volcano setting in the other story, very beautiful. I also loved the "famous line" said by the main character of that story. Should be seen again and again to fully understand.
March 26, 2011
im gonna steal from other users cause i can't sum it up:
"Pasolini intercuts the stories of two wanderers, one fugitive cannibal in a pseudo-medieval wasteland, and one ennui-addicted bourgeois slacker in a chateau built by his ex-Nazi father's blood money"--Adam Protextor

"'I killed my father, I ate human flesh, and I quiver with joy!' I dare say the conclusion of Jean-Pierre Leaud's dark comic storyline is even more perfect than that of the cannibalistic morality play." --Kevin McCormick

"The film flows like an argument. Crosscutting between two narratives, one set in a mythical past and the other in a German villa. Intimations of Marx, thesis and anti-thesis, but the result is poetically and philosophically stranger"--Facebook User
½ March 17, 2011
Pier Paolo Pasolini's daring, uncompromising and provocative cinematic vision.
February 24, 2011
Ihan hauskasia juttuja tässäkin oli, tykkäsin etenkin dialogin tetraalisuudesta ja kuvauksesta. Kuitenkaan juoni ei sinänsä jaksanut häkellyttää sen enempää, vaikka siinä symboliikkaa ja yhteiskuntakritiikkiä enemmänkin oli, kuulemma.
November 6, 2010
"I killed my father, I ate human flesh and I quiver with joy." Another of Pasolini's grotesque masterpieces, with cannibals and nazist.
½ September 28, 2010
"I don't fall in love w/people, I fall in love w/things" trala laa.
haven't you ever wondered what human flesh tastes likes? i've eaten human flesh, but only my own. have killed my father, have killed my mother.
July 20, 2010
i liked the 2 story structure, and the whole feeling of the film. as usual, we are presented with some of passolini's favourite themes: the anti-bourgeoise sentiment, sexuality... i loved how julian prefered the company of pigs and that of people, he was by far my favourite character. i liked him much more than the cannibal in the other story. btw, that volcanic landscape is amazing! where was it filmed? it gives the story an even more apocaliptic feeling. all in all, i would say this is good, but not amazing.
½ June 16, 2010
Entre dos lineas argumentales totalmente alejadas se desarrolla un discurso paralelo, sobre la naturaleza sucia, animal y misantropa del hombre, ya sea un primitivo canibal o un educado se√Īorito moderno, donde la pocilga viene a ser, a fin de cuentas, el mundo entero. Aunque admiro a Pasolini, me habria ahorrado los momentos un poco pretenciosos-intelectuales que le restan valor de entretenimiento.
April 30, 2010
Usually I like Pasolinis movies, but this was total waste of time. I didnt understand anything about the plot, only the end where presumably the pigs ate a man...crap
½ April 26, 2010
Absolutely the worst movie I've ever seen