Port of New York Reviews

• Mar 28, 2014

remarkable today only as brynner's film debut.

remarkable today only as brynner's film debut.

• Mar 06, 2012

Port of New York takes a look into the world of drug smuggling and the cops whose job it is to protect the ports from this sort of thing. It kinda reminded me of a poor man's 'T-Men" as the film at times feels like an advertisement for these policeman. The film uses a ton of narration, informing the viewer of the police procedural process and filling in anything that isnt explained through the dialogue. It definitely adds a documentary-type feel to the film but it's really just lazy storytelling and pretty unnecessary. The only reason I actually wanted to see this film is because Yul Brynner. This is his screen debut as a the head of a drug smuggling ring and though he doesn't have as much screen-time as I was hoping for, he does have a few memorable scenes. Richard Rober and Scott Brady play the two head detectives on the case and they do bring an intimidating presence to the film. There are a few scenes for instance which use low angles to emphasis their stature, making them imposing figures. It's not a bad film, but there really isnt anything about it that stands out. The narrative is rather generic and I never really found myself emotionally invested in any of the characters.

• Feb 04, 2010

A good crime noir about drug trafficking in the Port of New York, starring Yul Brynner in his first film role. A nicely-paced plot with great acting, including Brynner as a very creepy soft-spoken villain. The voice-over narration evokes a bit too much Dragnet-style melodrama, but most voice overs did in that era, and the film is not very well-preserved. Otherwise a good film, though.

• Sep 29, 2009

This is a good film that slowly builds. The narration is a little bit unnecessary at times but overall I enjoyed the film. If you are a fan of this time of film definitely check it out.

• Aug 07, 2008

Rather a ropey DVD mastering didn't help a humdrum noir that played like an overlong Dragnet special. The fight scenes were rather hammy, music mostly irritating and if it wasn't for Yul Brynner, there would be little good to say about this film. There are many much better noirs out there.

• Jan 25, 2008

A non-traditional gangster flick. Yul Brynner plays a sadistic drug smuggler like only he could. Great acting, supporting cast and storyline.

• Jun 05, 2007

Could you imagine Yul Brynner with some hair?. . . Well this film has him with some, I do like the story premise, too!. . .