Post Mortem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Post Mortem Reviews

October 17, 2014
A rather disturbing movie, slow but with some bizarre and disconcerting twists.
March 11, 2014
IMA SEE IT WHEN I HAVE MONEY
½ August 26, 2013
Pablo Larraín no es un gran director, le ha tomado mucho tiempo y muchos ensayos ir aprendiendo a compatibilizar historias con personajes, producción con fotografía... a pesar de tener recursos garantizados. En fin, la crítica es general, porque en esta película creo que resuelve la historia de una manera completa, los personajes tienen la opacidad justa, sin tanta exageración como por ejemplo en Fuga y Tony Manero, lo que arma en conjunto una buena película.
August 23, 2013
April 11, 2012. WANT TO SEE THIS TOO..
January 18, 2013
Post Mortem Chilean film directed by Pablo Larraín. Starring Alfredo Castro. The film competed in the 67th Venice International Film Festival in Sept 2010.

Mario (Castro) has got feelings for his neighbor Nancy (Zegers) a dancer who loses her job (she's too skinny and not voluptuous her boss insists) at the sleazy nightclub. She is involved with a cell of left-wing activists including her father and her hunky lover, who's everything Mario isn't.
One day Mario misses the start of the military coup while he's taking a nap. He emerges onto a vacant street, he realize that something has been taking place. At his hospital, the bodies are compiling up and military personnel are ordering his boss Dr. to perform autopsy on the bodies, while Mario is dictated to type down cause of the death.

Film is typical sensational but not without dark-comedy. Moves with pace and subject. Handful of characters, they understand what the director wants from them. Amazingly very well-woven climax.
January 5, 2013
A rather bleak, downbeat and dreary drama--Politics and psychology!!
January 4, 2013
Interesting political backdrop with the coup and takeover from Pinnochet, but other than that...yawn
½ November 29, 2012
Telling an intense story quietly.
½ October 19, 2012
not worth watching again
September 21, 2012
The aesthetics -- the art -- is riveting..... the acting subdued, but powerful, the subject matter difficult, but I felt as if I was there ... I truly reflected on this historical moment that I was familiar with (during and after the film). Recommended!
½ July 28, 2012
Verdadera porqueria, ojala Pablo Larrain pudiera devolverme mi hora y media de vida que use viendo esta basura
July 12, 2012
Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever? Wow! I am going to see this movie just because of how bizarre it looks!
June 19, 2012
una pelicula que no traume :s :P xD
Harlequin68
½ April 22, 2012
Even though I usually don't favor any movie with an ending that piles on, it turns out there is quite a bit to admire in the intriguing "Post Mortem" and what it has to say about perceptions. You wouldn't really notice Mario(Alfredo Castro), a squirrelly middle-aged man who works in the cornorer's office, if you walked past him on the street which allows him to slip through unnoticed backstage at a dance hall to see Nancy(Antonia Zegers), his neighbor, who is literally fading from view. She ordinarily would not give him the time of day but she needs a ride home when she gets fired for losing too much weight, at least until they run into a friend of hers on the way home at a street protest.

Of course, being noticed can sometimes be a hundred times worse because this is Santiago, Chile in 1973. Normally I would cheer on any display of leftist political expression on screen(Just one time, I would love to be at a meeting where everybody cheers Ho Chi Minh's name at a meeting). Here, I was just hoping everybody would lay low for their own safety, knowing that repression and murder are just right around the corner, even though it probably would not have saved their lives. These deaths are not the only ones foreshadowed, as Nancy's death is also foretold. For Mario, also, much of the political action happens just out of earshot which is indicated by the excellent sound engineering. Mario is just old fashioned, rejecting the politics and advances of his attractive colleague Sandra(Amparo Noguera) because she sleeps with other men.
April 17, 2012
VGAbkh
Inbxchfdhchchhdhhffijfj.fffi.fjjfjfxgjghghhfddcvcdifyfutsutftusvssswtywetw23: it's y. C yid. Cd dirk. I
April 13, 2012
god damn it, what an awful movie...
April 8, 2012
Considering recent events, delaying this release would be a good idea. How about...never?
April 8, 2012
Enough of this crap in the news..
April 7, 2012
A must see.... X-Men or Avengers?? We will see next month....
April 7, 2012
Larrain's follow up to the Pinochet-period Chile (Tony Manero) is a coup movie in which the main protagonist (Mario) occupies a bizarre world of two extremes. In the first half, pre-coup, Mario occupies the film in a zombie-like state. He does the same in the second but the affect is somewhat alienating. Mario moves from a post-death (post mortem) existence to some kind of complicit cog in the military machine of Pinochet's coup, contributing to the nation's murderous historical trajectory, without evoking any emotions. Strange stuff.