Postcards from the Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Postcards from the Edge Reviews

September 3, 2014
Streep really holds the film together with her performance. I have not been a Shirley MacLaine fan of her starring roles in the 60's and 70's, but here in a supporting role she is better. Gene Hackman is so great here in basically an extended cameo I wish he had been a larger part of the story.
½ August 14, 2014
The set-up is not really believable and there are unneeded singing "moments" for Streep -- but this film has bite. It works especially well when Shirley MacLaine (doing a dead-on impersonation of Debbie Reynolds) is on the screen. She and Streep work so well together one has to forgive some of the film's weaker aspects. In the end, Carrie Fisher's book is far superior, but this is fun entertainment.
July 25, 2014
A lot of it was kept under wraps until the publication of her semi-autobiographical novel, but Carrie Fisher led one of the more interesting lives in Hollywood during the early years of her life and career. That new novel is now a film called "Postcards From the Edge", with a screenplay by Fisher as well, and while there is plenty to admire here, the film version suffers from a severe split personality.

The opening moments are quite good, with Fisher's on-screen alter-ego personified here by Meryl Streep overdosing and being committed to a treatment facility. Streep is very good in those scenes, at first denying her substance abuse problem before admitting them to her herself and those around her. Those wonderful dramatic moments, however, are soon there after interspersed with more lighthearted moments and that's where my problem with the picture lies.

Taken separately, the comedy and the drama both work, they just don't mesh well together. In perhaps the film's best scene, the mood is perfectly set. It's the wonderfully melancholy moment in which Streep sings the Ray Charles classic "You Don't Know Me", and the wistfulness of that instance is never captured again. It finds just the right tone.

The behind-the-scenes Hollywood stuff is terrific as well, as director Mike Nichols systematically shatters the illusion of filmmaking, and the vast array of glorified cameos are fun as well. "Postcards From the Edge" often feels like two very different movies at war with one another. The dramatic film should have won.
½ June 25, 2014
It doesn't take the time to be emotionally invested in the recovery of addiction or alcoholism, but Postcards from the Edge's comic moments, entertaining scenes and feel-good performances from Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine makes up for what could have been better but it definitely isn't bad.
June 16, 2014
I am quite a fan of director Mike Nichols (The Graduate, The Birdcage, Working Girl (can't wait to see Virginia Woolf and Heartburn)) and I absolutely love Meryl Streep. So you can imagine that I would love this film, right?

Well, I didn't love it. I only liked it. I loved Meryl Streep's hilarious and gripping performance which earned an Oscar nom. Shirley MacLaine also gave a great performance.

Overall, it was a well conceived story, but it didn't hit home for me. And even though Meryl Streep can sing well for an actor, her singing did fit into the story for me.

Postcards from the Edge, I give you a 60%.
May 15, 2014
Postcards from the Edge is an amazing film. It is about substance-addicted Hollywood actress Suzanne Vale is on the skids. Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Mike Nichols did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama. Postcards from the Edge is a must see.
½ March 18, 2014
Neither the stars nor the director have phoned it in, and this is no exception.
January 23, 2014
Yet another master class in acting from La Streep in her finest comedic work. She doesn't miss a beat and neither does Shirley Maclaine as Streep's out-of-her-prime mama bear. The two together are electrifying, and while still played with a significant amount of laughs, provide an in-depth look at how celebrity mother and daughter relationships operate.
November 29, 2013
Watched again recently and probably understood better at 44 than 20. Shirley and Meryl take the show. One of their best movies ever.
October 8, 2013
Two great actresses in undemanding roles, a good score, few laugh-out-loud scenes and an old-fashioned feel throughout resutling in a merely good film.
½ August 24, 2013
This movie is what I assume is based on part of the real life relationship between the actresses Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. And while the story and some of the characters needed maybe another 30 minutes to be fleshed out a bit more, this is a movie to watch for the two leads.

Streep and MacLaine are just fantastic here. They even both get one scene, Streep gets two, to show their singing ability and I never really knew they were such great singers. I have seen Streep in Mamma Mia, but her voice is so much more amazing here singing country stuff.

There is a scene with MacLaine where she is minus and makeup nor a wig, and they do this long scene showing her transform from normal looking into the glam you can see on the poster. Coming from a guy, this scene just blew me away for some reason. You can actually see her transform emotionally as the makeup is applied.

I just wish more time was given to the supporting cast. Most only have ONE scene to get anything in. While Gene Hackman gets in a few great scenes, Dreyfuss, Reiner, Oliver Platt, Benning and even Quaid just don't register as very good characters.

And I would have liked to see more of the struggles with getting off drugs, and that whole transformation. Or better yet, if her career was able to recover. I mean she goes back to work, but we never know how successful that work became.

But the acting was fantastic from the ladies, and Streep looked smokin' in the police uniform no?
July 9, 2013
Postcards from the Edge is a rather fun comedy. With the excellent Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine, it is definitely a feel-good type of comedy. There is nothing overtly special about this film - it is a rather simple success--utter failure--pick yourself up--and success again, type of story. However, the acting, especially by the two female leads (Streep and MacLaine), is just great, and they definitely are believable as celebrity mother and daughter. The storyline, as mentioned, is rather simple, but is underpinned by a deeper story of a cycle of vice that a family can go through and how it can lead to the deterioration of relations within the family, and possibly even lead to fatalities. Overall, this is a rather good film and definitely worth watching, but do not expect to be blown out of your shoes.
June 18, 2013
Theres nothing even about postcards in it ffs.....
Bathsheba Monk
½ June 11, 2013
Meryl Streep is amazing in this. The script is wonderful and the mother/daughter rivalry is expertly realized by Streep and Shirley MacLaine.
May 24, 2013
I've never known a film starring Meryl Streep not to be watchable, and this was an enjoyable drama about an actress battling with an addiction to the demon drink. The scene at the beginning was very clever, which turned out to be a scene being acted, rather than as part of the film that we were watching!
½ January 4, 2013
Put MacLaine and Streep together and this is what you get. What more could we have asked?
December 7, 2012
Could watch this sometime if i can find.
November 15, 2012
Through Carrie Fisher's confessional screenwriting and Mike Nichols skilled hand, the MacLaine-Streep powerplay shows how unwelcome truth always is in a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship, although it always seems to be the only road towards a solution. And yes, MacLaine is hawwwt here.
September 25, 2012
Fairly entertaining movie testing the relationships of a mother and daughter who's fighting drugs etc
½ September 19, 2012
This is one of those movies I've heard great things about and then when I sat down to watch it wondered if the people who had said it was a great movie had actually seen it ? It was slow getting to the 'good part' and then when it got there it wasn't worth the wait ... I love both Meryl and Shirley but this was just not a great movie