Saban's Power Rangers Reviews

• 1d ago

it's not great, but it's not terrible either. It does have it's flaws, but the pros out weigh the cons. While there is a lot of comedic humor, this film does deliver in what you would expect if Power Rangers had a serious tone to it.

• Aug 26, 2019

I grew up off of SPD emergency in a household where Power Rangers was a bad word because Saban's marketing plan was poison to my mother's purse. I loved this update, the character's were a fresh & relatable band of misfits tbat had me flashing back to my high school days in a way that was not painful or unwelcoming. The action sequences were not too overtop and felt like what a Michael Bay Transformers or G.I. Joe should have been. Billy's non sequiters were comic relief at it's finest. While Bryan Cranston as Zordon was a special treat. Sadly, Bill Hader whined his way on to the set as the annoying droid and Naomi Scott looked as if she was trying a little too hard to offset her natural "mean girl" looks to truly be a stereotypical misfit. This got in the way of her flow of acting, as did the score when she had conversations with the Red Ranger that attemepted to build on swells of emotion that should have been left alone. Yet, not one explosion seemed over the top and Rita Repulsa eating at Krispy Kreme will forever go down in my memory as one of the greatest scenes in movie history. A standalone reboot at it's finest. I'd give the film a round of applause, but according to the film, holding my phone up to take a picture will have the same effect.

• Aug 05, 2019

This film is just not good. The plot is all over the place and so much of the film doesn't make sense.

• Aug 04, 2019

I think you have be pretty desperate for Power Rangers to have found any aspect of the film remotely entertaining! The problem that I have with the movie is that it doesn't respect the artistic integrity of the series or the Sentai franchise as a whole. Instead, opting for a shameless cash grab with a generic Tranformers knock-off akin to Michael Bay, and just as souless. And as for their "first LGBT superhero", I've seen socially "coded" films from the 50's that were less insulting.

• Aug 03, 2019

I really enjoyed watching this movie with my son. I grew up watching power rangers and I think they did a great job with this movie we really enjoyed it.

• Jul 24, 2019

This is a solid film! Power rangers was. Huge part of my childhood, and it was awesome for Jason Scott to announce morphin’ time! Loved it.

• Jul 23, 2019

Power Rangers is already a tough film for me to review, see I grew up on the Power Rangers and have always been a HUGE fan. Thanks to Power Rangers I was introduced to many comic book characters, which in turn introduced me to comic book films, which in turn introduced me to Film in its own right, so I've got a lengthy history. Also when I say I grew up on Power Rangers, I didn't grow up on one particular incarnation, thanks to cousins and brothers who grew up in the 90s I had tapes and DVDs of almost every season of Power Rangers. One of my favorites being the original of course. So going into this film I had seen the entire original series as a kid as well as all of its other incarnations. That said this is a good film. To begin the Performances are fantastic the entire group of Rangers give some well rounded three dimensional characters even more depth, which brought me a lot of surprises. The film has since had me following the careers of Montgomery, Cyler, Scott, Gomez, and Lin and they've just continued to evolve as actors. Next the suit designs are great and the action/visuals are great as well. Thanks to a nice story and Israelites direction. However that doesn't excuse other moments. Bryan Cranston and Elizabeth Banks are fantastic actors, but Cranston is just given exposition lines and Banks is acting like she's in another film completely. Also the film didn't really mix the strong character moments well with the Power Rangers moments. It's like you need to watch the film as two halves not one whole. There are moments where the dialogue is off and the soundtrack (while good) distracts from the film, and it's very nice score. All in all the film has much more heart and love than the Ninja Turtles and Transformers films, but you can tell someone just wasn't too sure of the direction, and with the origin story it's harder to delve into greater moments. I personally love the film and hope it garners a sequel, but I can see why someone wouldn't like it that much. Especially some of the original fans, a die-hard ranger fan such as myself might like it more due to the many incarnations of Power Rangers, but for people who grew up on the Classic MMPR series, you may have a harder time. But if you look past nostalgia you'll find a fun Power Rangers film.

• Jul 22, 2019

I am glad this movie is getting rebooted. And this is why: the rumors of Tommy the green ranger is going to be a woman. That is some bull crap, changing the source material. The Cons: [1] Goldar was disgusting, [2] Alpha was gross, [3] No teleporting, [4] Zords did not combine into Megazord on-screen, [5] gay stuff, and [5] Battles were too short (megazords, zords, ranger fights). The Pros: [1] Ranger suits, [2] Zordon on the wall, [3] Alien ship, [4] pre-screen (opening era), and [5] the story was good.

• Jul 13, 2019

Atleast better than BVS

Atleast better than BVS

• Jun 30, 2019

As a young fan of the original Power Rangers, I appreciate the small details of how the powers were formed, how the suits came to be used, and how the Zords were explained. The back story can be improved or could have skipped that and worked more on forming the back stories of the Power Rangers instead. Only two really got explained well. Over all it was what I expected and although the big showdown was short lived. The Megazord looked pretty BA to me and moved similar to Pacific Rim Jaegers.