The Preacher's Wife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Preacher's Wife Reviews

June 19, 2016
Angel comes to earth to help a preacher but ends up falling in love with his wife. Whitney Houston sings a bunch of songs but that's the only entertaining material in this drama.
April 11, 2015
Reminds me of a Medea movie and has most of the same actors, but without an actual Medea who would have bumped this up to be an actual funny comedy.
Loretta Davis makes the most of her time here, and brings a few smiles.

Good natured, beautifully shot, acceptably acted, but the story doesnt translate successfully from the original Cary Grant film - its slow and lackluster, but does hold a bit of magic despite the flaws. Even Denzel seems out of place here and rather cardboard tho that doesnt hold back the overall sweetness.

Worth a look around Christmas on a slow afternoon.
½ March 1, 2015
For some reason, it lacks the heart of the original
½ December 20, 2014
A modern update of a holiday classic, The Preacher's Wife attempts to tell an uplifting tale but ends up being a Whitney Houston vanity project. The story follows an angel named Dudley (played by Denzel Washington) who comes to the aid of a worn-out preacher who's lost his way. Washington gives an excellent performance and brings a lot of charisma to the film, but Houston constantly tries to steal the spotlight, and finds any excuse she can to sing. Additionally, the plot is overly convoluted and doesn't flow very well. And, the tone is also uneven; constantly switching between comedy, drama, and romance. While it's entertaining and has a good heart, The Preacher's Wife doesn't have a clear vision of what type of film it wants to be.
½ July 15, 2014
The Preacher's Wife is a story oozing with potential for comedy, drama, and plenty of tears however The Preacher's Wife never even comes close to maximizing on its massive amount of potential. Washington his his charismatic self and though there are some decent performances the directing and writing let down the potential film from becoming the holiday classic it should have been.
½ May 24, 2014
Not nearly as charming as I remember. In fact, the majority of the performances are, ironically, downright soulless.
May 3, 2014
Nope fuck you Denzel.
February 9, 2014
Love any Whitney Houston movie!!
October 28, 2013
Remake of 1947's The Bishop Wife. This version of the tale of an angel sent to help a Baptist preacher recreate his Church and reignite his marriage. This film, however, is weak slop, and has Whitney Huston vehicle written all over it. Only occasionally does it show influences of the charm of older feel good movies, but the instances are all too rare.
June 12, 2013
This is less a holiday film and more a blatant, Whitney Houston star vehicle.
April 24, 2013
It had its moments and I'm a huge Denzel Washington fan, but it just didn't deliver enough for me.
April 15, 2013
One of my favorite movies!
March 28, 2013
i loved the preachers wife for this to b whitney 2nd film she did a wounderful job and so did the rest of the cast
½ January 29, 2013
Not denzels best film, abit pointless and no real sense to it
January 3, 2013
I can watch this movie over and over. Its great.
January 2, 2013
Although it's bittersweet to watch with Whitney Houston and Gregory Hines no longer living among us, The Preacher's Wife remains a touching, gently funny holiday film that's worth watching every year.
½ December 24, 2012
Denzel & Whitney - enough said.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
½ November 28, 2012
My mom had the soundtrack, and followed my full volume philosophy with it.
½ October 13, 2012
too bad whitney was in it.