Premature Reviews

• Aug 25, 2019

This is a crude version of American pie with time loop concept, it does make you laugh but the problem is it has more misses than hits.

• Jan 01, 2019

I went in thinking I would know everything about to happen, but was baffled to walk out of the room not understanding what the fuck just went down. As my job to see all shitty movies on Netflix, this ranks pretty damn badly. The only real complement I could give is that some jokes made me chuckle. Thats kinda the whole movie. A shitty, nonsensical, and dumb movie.

• May 31, 2018

A decent middling effort- comedy is hard to pull off (no pun intended) but one that mixes the plot of American Pie and Groundhog Day is setting its sights way too high. Having said that Premature is still better than many of the big budgeted comedy films coming out lately. One time watch with a bunch of friends and a crate of beer. (A middling effort but can be seen once)

• Jul 14, 2017

Funny movie. Exactly what i was hoping for

Funny movie. Exactly what i was hoping for

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Jun 15, 2017

Alan Tudyk as the biggest name actor in this teen gross-out comedy goes overboard in his comedic role as a high school guidance counselor. Thankfully there are three young leads who are worth paying attention to: Katie Findlay, John Karna, and Craig Roberts. This is basically a teen spoof on the concept of the movie Groundhog Day with a day or less in the life of Rob (Karna) repeating with endless variations.

• Sep 06, 2016

This kid keeps repeating the same day over and over and each time he gets off prematurely the day starts over again.

• Jun 15, 2016

I heard about this film a year or so ago and thought it sounded really funny (an independent teenage version of Groundhog Day; I'm actually surprised there haven't been more ripoffs of that film). But it didn't breakout and I actually totally forgot about this film until I came across it on Netflix and realized it started two of the actors from the TV show, 'Scream'. After finally giving this film a shot, I can see why it didn't hit, but it was kind of frustrating, because this film could have easily been much better with a few changes. Overall, 'Premature' is not a terrible film, but it's a film with a good concept and poor execution.

• Jun 03, 2016

Director Dan Beers's Premature is a funny, wildly crude, and heartfelt tale of time travel and high school misadventures, with good performances from John Karna, Carlson Young, Craig Roberts, Katie Findlay, and Alan Tudyk. I know Karna and Young previously from one of my current favorite TV shows, Scream: The TV Series, so it was pretty cool to see them with bigger roles.

• Jun 02, 2016

Premature was a modern day, teenage Groundhog Day. The main character kept living the same day over and over again, until he figured out what he was meant to do. There were some very funny scenes but overall the repetitiveness got old after a bit. Once the main character knew what he had to do to start the day over, he started getting wild and doing crazy things, but the things he did were childish and not entertaining. You could predict the end a mile away but it did wrap up nicely with a heartfelt love story finale. The cast was great, each character stood out and was memorable which was a nice surprise. Premature is not a classic teen comedy but it was worth the watch and provided some good laughs.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jun 02, 2016

As if it wasn't obvious by the film's premise, this is like Groundhog Day meets, let's say, American Pie. And I say American Pie because it's the first sex comedy that came to mind, but you can pretty much fit in any sex comedy, since what is important is more that it's like Groundhog Day. Which is, probably, my favorite Harold Ramis film, so not a bad choice to draw inspiration from. Essentially, if you weren't aware of the concept already, our main character finds himself in an ejaculation time warp. Every time he ejaculates his day starts over again with his mom walking in on him after...completion. The film, obviously, has a narrative as well, since Rob has to figure out what he's doing wrong that's causing him to be caught in this endless loop where he relives the same day again each time he ejaculates. But, let's be fair, the film is, for the most part, set up this way in order to find funny situations for Rob to find himself in. And don't get me wrong, they do lead to some funny moments, but the film isn't exactly always the most consistent when it comes to comedy. Like Alan Tudyk's first appearance in the film was probably the comedic highlight. And I'm not saying that the rest of the film is unfunny, but, again, just isn't what I would call entirely consistent. There's also a point in the film where you're like, 'ok, it's time to move on, you've exhausted all other options'. I don't wanna say the film stretches its concept far past its breaking point, but they were almost to that point. And, on the other hand, unlike Mystery Team, who just used gross-out gags to hide its flaws and lack of narrative, this one, at the very least, tried to have a story to justify its gross-out gags. I'm not saying the film has the greatest story you will ever see, far from it, nor will I say that it isn't thinly scripted, but at least they make an effort. If you've seen more than one movie in existence, the story will be very predictable to you, but that's not why anyone would really watch this movie. If you want something to be a little more unpredictable, then you'd watch 5-hour arthouse films that are shot in black and white with minimal dialogue. I think people know what to expect when they decide to give this a shot. Perhaps the thing about the film that's most 'endearing', if it can be called that, is the film's nostalgic tone. It just feels like a movie that would've fit right in with the 80s. It just looks and feels like something from that era. Not that I'm saying that it was good, because the score implies I thought it was average, but just saying that it would fit with the films of that era. At least the raunchier ones and not necessarily the Breakfast Clubs or Sixteen Candles of the world. The cast is pretty solid. I've never seen John Karna before, but he's pretty good. Craig Roberts is talented and Katie Findlay was lovely. Alan Tudyk offers the most memorable moments in the film, though Craig Roberts' character does offer a really memorable scene. I think you'll know the one. That's about it really, don't have much else to say about this movie. It's not good because its lack of consistency, but it's a film that will, at the very least, keep your attention, even if you don't think the jokes are that funny. It's just an average sex comedy. Interesting concept and not exactly fabulous execution. It's on Netflix though, so you know what I always says. Average film.