Premium Rush - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Premium Rush Reviews

July 27, 2015
Wow, that was a lot of bikes. This movie has a silly premise, Joseph Gordon Levitt on a bike for 90 minutes, but you know what, it works, and why, because he is a good enough actor to make it work and the filmmakers shot this just right where it made the experience more enjoyable. The other thing I must mention is that Michael Shannon (the Villain, I suppose if there is one) is now going to be referred to as Ray Liotta's twin brother that went missing after birth because my god, his mannerisms, his look and his craziness are all identical to Ray Liotta, now I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's silly premise keeps it from being good, but it is very watchable which is always good. RECOMMENDED slightly.
July 21, 2015
Gordon Levitt and Shannon give their all to this so-so script saved by its unique action sequences and rigorous pacing.
July 7, 2015
it was entertaining, considering the hoaky plots turns... it had a Baywatch feel of "everything is going to be alright" and the villain is just never gonna win. It wasn't good... but it kept my attention. I'd never watch it again, or recommend it cartoony directing, and safe tension placed throughout it... but it was fine.
June 28, 2015
good, a lot of action.
June 20, 2015
Jamie Chung's accent is spot on for a stereotypical Chinese accent. Well done.
½ June 18, 2015
This was something different, that I have seen in quite some time. This was a good action film realating to bikes. Joseph Gordon Levitt did a great job in here. I liked all the action that this movie showed in here. A great movie with a great story and a great twist at the end. So for this being one good movie that people missed and did not watch, wich I don't understand why??? I give "Premium Rush" a B-.
½ June 10, 2015
At times cheesy and corny, but overall briskly paced, witty, snappy, occasionally funny and solidly acted, Premium Rush is an adequate serving of B-movie time-killing fun. While I found the subplot regarding the Asian child to be slightly uninteresting and far-fetched for the films premise, it didn't bog down the film too much. Michael Shannon successfully plays a one-note, comic-book-like antagonist here with JGL giving a confident lead as the protagonist and anchor of Premium Rush, a fun flick, nothing more or less.
½ June 10, 2015
I only saw it on TV but when I started watching, it was impossible for me not to stick until the end. Gripping, exciting, and actually quite rare.
½ June 3, 2015
OK how bout this guy delivers packages as his daily job and being in a situation of some sort of trouble and we have Premium Rush. Pretty cool presentation actually. With a GPS like CGI that shows his next destination everytime it showed on the screen. They also use some time frame execution whereas it happened in a different scenario and some flashback. Also some parts of the scenes reminds me of playing a video game whereas he chooses the right direction to avoid accidents. With all these cool things happened. Story wise I'm not really fund of it. Though it made complications that has a small problems on how the story goes. Very engaging at some point especially the chasing scenes where you can get excited instantly and will put you out into the edge of your seats. Pretty descent plot with cool bike racing moments and more bike stunts. A nice flick to watch. 3.5 stars out of 5.
June 1, 2015
Be careful on the streets of New York. You'll find mayhem, close-calls, accidents, rude behavior, violence, danger; and that's just from the bicycle messengers.

Premium Rush is the story of one of those messengers (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who must make an important and urgent delivery through Manhatten rush-hour traffic. Gordon-Levitt's character, Wilee, is such a maniac that he rides a bike without brakes, derailleur gears or de rigueur rails.

Joining Wilee on this thrill ride are Manny (Wolé Parks) and Vanessa (Dania Ramirez). I don't know if this film is supposed to make us feel some sympathy for the plight of the downtrodden bicycle messenger, but I personally was rooting for the bad cop (Michael Shannon) to throw them all in the calaboose for being the dangerous road rascals that they are.

The acting is uneven at best. Ramirez must have gone to the Scowling-Is-Acting School for Young Thespians. Not that she can't make a career out of a scowl. Bruce Willis has been a show-biz success for nearly 30 years with no discernible asset other than a smirk. Shannon's acting isn't much better. I've enjoyed his previous work in Boardwalk Empire and the excellent Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Here, however, he vacillates between a tough-as-nails Cagney-like bad guy to an exasperated high-pitched whining comic-relief character reminiscent of Curly Howard.

Most of the film's 90 minutes, is spent wheeling on bicycles through traffic. I found it rather tiresome (ha ha! get it? tiresome... tire... you know... bicycle... forget it).

If it's bicycles and a thrilling chase that you have a craving for, watch two movies - Breaking Away and Bullitt. You'll get the fix you need and see two infinitely better films in the process.
½ May 27, 2015
It's fun and enjoyable. The main problem in Premium Rush is the cliche storyline.
½ May 22, 2015
Well stylized film that loses its way due to a painfully predictable plot. However, the creativity and idea of seeing a bike messenger who will go to any length to deliver a package gives this action film an interesting spin. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Shannon tap into the right energy for their roles. If only the makers of the movie hadn't felt the need to inject a lazy plot and a unconvincing girlfriend subplot. Although it fails to work, there is enough creativity here to make the film enjoyable.
½ May 22, 2015
A fun ride, if a not so believable one.
May 20, 2015
Joseph Gordon Levitt is great! This is a fun cool movie!
May 15, 2015
Premium Rush reminds me a lot of Enemy of the State it involves the main character carrying something that the antagonist needs and eventually causes a chase during the whole movie. Although, Premium Rush had nice action sequences and still had a good enough plot for me to be enjoy it.
March 22, 2015
A few too many bike races thru the city, but still manages to keep viewer's interest. Also a pretty simple story, but the tension, characters and overall feel of the movie make it work.
March 20, 2015
The movie had good acting and some very well shot action sequences, but the plot and script seemed very simple and PG (except 1 f word).
½ March 15, 2015
Heart-pounding but pretty forgettable by the end.
½ March 15, 2015
Still, it will stay one of my favourties as it's about a boy on a bike in NYC and I'm in love with a boy on a bike from NYC.
½ March 14, 2015