Prep & Landing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prep & Landing Reviews

½ December 22, 2011
I didn't expect this much out of an ABC Family Christmas special!

PLOT:Everybody knows the story of Santa and how he gets to other kids' houses on Christmas Eve, but what we don't know is how he knows exactly what's safe or not. This is the job of Santa's prep and landing crew. They test the waters and give the stats of the child's house they're about to visit and put out the landing gear for Santa to hit each house. The leade elf of this division is Wayne(Dave Foley), who has been working it for over 200 years. When his partner gets a promotion instead of himself and a new partner gets placed in his midst, he falls into carelessness because he didn't get promoted instead. Because of him, the fate of everybody's happy Chistmas might be at stake. It is a very unique and modernized twist on Santa;s flight story.

VOICES:The voices chosen are very cartoonish and fit each personality perfectly. Foley doeas a perfect job as an old, bitter elf. Everybody in her shined, but the ones I will mention are Sarah Chalke and whomever it was that played Lenny, Wayne's new partner.

SCORE:All Christmas music. Nothing to be said here.

ANIMATION:Since this is an ABC Family Christmas special, I expected the animation to be lazily done, but the animation was actual pretty intricate and detailed in a cartoonish way. The characters by themselves are no big deal, but the facial expressions made by the characters and their actions expressed their emotions in a quite whimsical way.

OTHER CONTENT:Now, there are some cons to this even though I gave it a high score. For one thing, it's way too short! With a total running time of 22 minutes, this is over before it barely even started. That is also a factor of how everything feels rushed and the how character development has problems. On the upside, the two things that this had that made it so good, was clever writing and humor. There's so much clever holiday twists to the prep and landing crew that it's enjoyable; not to mention the holday lingo used among the elves. Also, the humor was quite cartoonish but also surprisingly enjoyable. Lastly I have to mention, this was very short, but it contained the warm Christmas feeling and joy it needed.

OVERALL,an awesome Christmas special with a uniquely thought plot, cartoonish voices, holiday score, intricate animation, clever writing, cartoonish humor, and the warm Christmas feeling, but the running time was way too short and caused a few character and timing problems.
December 21, 2011
It was totally tinsel
December 20, 2011
One you can watch year after year but just not long enough
½ December 6, 2011
The best holiday film to come out in recent years. Hidden humor similar to the Toy Story movies. All in all, this movie is "So Tinsel!"
November 26, 2011
Absolutely brilliant: Pixar and Disney at their collaborative best! Every moment of this brief (Bonum et brevis, bis bonum!) and enjoyable special has been meticulously thought out, creating an instant classic that must've been every bit as fun to make as it is to view.
½ November 26, 2011
Very very short. I didn't think it was anything great.
½ May 28, 2011
I love this! It's a really good short for Christmas. A
March 15, 2011
A nice time for Christmas because there are entertaining ideas. Disney still knows how to deal with the short films with a high quality animation worthy of our hopes. But the script lacks ideas because he wades into a little sauerkraut on some points that are neglected. Short films Disney will never end to surprise us and back thinking is present in this short film that deserves more application.
December 22, 2010
haven't heard of this one before. Have you?
December 13, 2010
Bad all the way around
½ December 10, 2010
Fun for the two reindeer, but definitely geared towards kids.