The Presidio - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Presidio Reviews

August 17, 2016
An imperfect and dated, but nevertheless entertaining action mystery.
May 25, 2016
saw it way back when. Theater i think. Liked it, cuz: my Dad was stationed there in WWII, and i've been there, and near, a few times.
Plus Connery, a young Mark Harmon, Meg Ryan, etc. Surprised ratings so low.
May 18, 2016
Peter Hyams has been a steady hand at directing well-executed suspense thrillers- sometimes overtly (Sudden Death, Timecop), or less overtly (Capricorn One, The Star Chamber). Here, Hyams knack for muted tension is his undoing. I never got into the story, or what the characters were going after. And both the chase scenes and fight scenes were pretty underwhelming, given that they could've been done under a director with a better eye for action, like John Frankenheimer or James Glickenhaus.
There is a pointless plot, that's either a subplot or co-plot involving Meg Ryan stuck in the middle between her father (Connery), and her love interest (Harmon). This also wasn't very interesting given they never seemed really engaged with each other.
One of the only good moments of this film is Connery's drunk monologue on top an apartment building, where he talks about his role as an officer and his experiences as a little boy coming to America; this one of the only few genuine moments. I feel like if the film had more of these bits of insight, it could've been something a little more than just a routine San Francisco Police Procedural.
½ November 8, 2015
a good crime movie filmed in San Francisco Sean Connery gives a good performance.
½ April 27, 2015
I saw this for the first time some 27 years ago. Today I chose it mainly because of SF, Mark Harmon (young!), Sean Connery (rugged!) and Meg Ryan (before the new NOT improved lips). Well, might as well have skipped it. rather waste of my time. Although my memories of the fog over presidio graves was accurate. Funny how some things remain in the mind year after year.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A quite good 80's movie with Sean Connery in on the roles. Story is about a murder of a "military police" working at presidio and now they must investigate it.. Some great action scenes and a well made movie overall.
½ October 7, 2014
A cheesy at times, decent little thriller.
July 21, 2014
Mark Harmon is great in this one. Probably set him up for his role in NCIS.
½ January 7, 2014
Jämähdin sitte näköjään kattomaan toimintaleffaa 80-luvulta, vaikka tää oli jo niin nähty... ;) (Suom. Rikospaikkana Presidio)
December 11, 2013
At the Presidio Army base in San Francisco, MP Patti Jean Lynch (Jenette Goldstein) is shot dead while investigating a break-in on the base and a San Francisco police officer is killed in the getaway. Jay Austin (Mark Harmon), a San Francisco police inspector, is sent to investigate. He clashes with Lieutenant Colonel Alan Caldwell (Sean Connery), the base Provost Marshal. Years ago, Austin and Lynch were partners in the MPs and Caldwell was their commanding officer. When Austin arrested Colonel Paul Lawrence (Dana Gladstone), Caldwell didn't support him. In the aftermath, Austin was demoted and decided to get discharged from the army. Austin and Caldwell since share a mutual dislike for one another. The murder investigation now casts suspicion on Lawrence. Lynch was killed with a Russian Tokarev. Lawrence is the registered owner of a Tokarev, but claims he lost it in a poker game. Austin and Caldwell ends up taking the lead in the investigation that seems to have all sorts of surprising clues and twists...

"The Presidio" is on one hand a kind of classic Peter Hyams vehicle, with some serious fast paced action, but at the same time the plot/storyline is a bit too thin for being a fully satisfying Hyams movie. The love story between Austin and Donna feels more like a filler than an actual plot builder. Thus the triangle father/daughter/boyfriend takes up a bit too much screen time in my point of view and the crime story becomes a bit lost. Harmon is ok as Austin, but he´s never really been a leading man. Connery is not too shabby as Caldwell. And Meg Ryan is just that lovely Meg Ryan I fell in love with back in the 80s. I did read that Kevin Costner was actually signed for the Mark Harmon part before departing the project, much to the disappointment of Connery who had hoped to re-team with his costar from "The Untouchables". For me that would have been a lot more interesting choice for sure.
August 28, 2013
Typical Crime Thriller Brought To Some Life With It's Performances From Sean Connery And Mark Harmon. The Presidio Is An Above Average Crime Drama Which Features A Great Story Surrounding The Murder Of A Female MP Officer. Peter Hyams Shows Wonderful Directorial Skills, Along With Its Decent Script And Above Average Story, The Presidio Turns Out To Be A Very Enjoyable Film.
August 28, 2013
Ok movie. Decent action, average plot, bit funny, with good performances from Harmon and Connery.
July 12, 2013
OK-ish crime-drama. Plot is decent and reasonably intriguing. The relationship/romantic-drama stuff feels lame, and unconvincing, though.

Sean Connery and Mark Harmon are OK in the lead roles. Decent support from Jack Warden and Meg Ryan.
May 6, 2013
Nothing real special about the movie itself, but I've come to find that it is virtually impossible for Sean Connery to deliver a bad performance. Mark Harmon and Meg Ryan also round out the cast nicely.
½ April 7, 2013
Funny being reminded of the days when Mark Harmon was considered a bankable star. I remember Meg Ryan being quite sexy in it. It felt sloppy overall and just generally didn't work. Peter Hyams is one of those bad directors who just seemed to keep pumping out the films.
March 14, 2013
Sean Connery is one of those players who just being in a film elevates in class. An amazing movie. All the elements come together to make a very entertaining movie that gets better the more you watch it.
February 23, 2013
Two good actors and a thin plot
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
½ May 18, 2012
Boring. It started off gripping but dragged on and on and I quickly lost interest. Harmon is ex military, now cop that must liase with Connery, a colonel regarding a spree of murders that occured on base and off. Of course, as is the cliche, they have a past together and they don't get along. Ryan is in there with some womanly distraction and to cause some useless sexual tension. Not much of a fan