PressPausePlay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

PressPausePlay Reviews

½ June 17, 2013
"The industry is dead"
April 22, 2013
I don't know if this documentary is supposed to be depressing, but it is. Of course there are both positives and negatives to the advancement of technology in the music and film industries, but this film focuses on why the mediums have changed and how they'll never be the same. "The craft is gone" is how one segment puts it. And it sure seems like it. There's no soul anymore; no humanity, at least not in computers. Some advances are truly amazing, but much is lost along the way. C'est la vie, I suppose.
November 17, 2012
It means well, but it's an extremely depressing vision of art in the 21st century.
½ October 30, 2012
Conceptually and in terms of slickness of execution - This is a decent movie. Where is fails is in its attempt to string together a cohesive theme or story line. In the end, this is a montage trying to be a collage of ideas and opinions about digital media. There are some valid assertions made about democratization of content creation and distribution but you'd have heard those elsewhere too.
July 20, 2012
Cool documentary on past, present and future of creativity. Plus some really smart bald guys are in it like Seth Godin and Moby which is good.
July 3, 2012
I found it haunting and affective, though slightly depressing. I watched it while catching up on my correspondence (which will seem ironic once you've watched the film).
June 16, 2012
A great doc about the demise of "the craft" in film, music and all things media. All thanks to the digital revolution.
April 13, 2012
technology. culture. art.
confluence.

acceleration.
inspiration.
collaboration.

indeedy.
January 24, 2012
Fantastic film. It covers so much of any creatives and opens the door to discuss whether or not affordable "game-changing" digital advances have helped or burdened the industry their in. Beautiful cinematography. Engaging content and fantastic editing!
January 23, 2012
Finally got around to watching this. Great doco, not much sentiment that's particularly new, but certainly reinforces a bunch of ideas that I definitely agree with. We are living in amazing times..,
½ January 10, 2012
Great follow up to the recent articles mourning 30 years and counting of recycled Art.

Ironically, new technology has reinforced the nostalgic cultural gaze: now that we have instant universal access to every old image and recorded sound, the future has arrived and it‚??s all about dreaming of the past. Our culture‚??s primary M.O. now consists of promiscuously and sometimes compulsively reviving and rejiggering old forms. It‚??s the rare ‚??new‚?? cultural artifact that doesn‚??t seem a lot like a cover version of something we‚??ve seen or heard before. Which means the very idea of datedness has lost the power it possessed during most of our lifetimes.
January 10, 2012
Great and insightful piece, you really caught the spirit of recent changes and summarized it well. It's also good that you have included opinions of both sides of this 'is it good or not' conflict.

It's obvious that for all the industry connected individuals this change is something dramatic and they are loosing their ground, but once they start to think in the wider perspective they can't deny that what's going on here is something important and inevitable. For all the skeptics saying that this change is in fact a regress i must say that they are wrong.. and right.

Fact that there is so much various in quality data available online is only imprinting on the viewers necessity to be decisive of what they are listening/viewing/linking, instead of just nodding the head in approval of what's the industry is giving them, the basic skill we almost lost while being bombarded by the media. On the other hand the quality of that data decreases - so you might have feeling that we are regressing, up to a point where the badly constructed toy is being disassembled to basic pieces and being under construction in a complete different way, so finally it works much better, but that obviously takes time.

Everything has it's flaws and if you change something you will fail lot's before doing it correctly, but let's face it, industry such as Hollywood has nothing more valuable to say (and did it ever had really?) so it's time to move on.

Well done.
November 7, 2011
One of the most interesting and relevant documentaries I've seen. Beautiful camera work, amazing sound and a very thought provoking look at creativity and digital culture. Go see it if you can!
½ November 5, 2011
It's diverting and it certainly discusses a pertinent and interesting topic, but it doesn't have a narrative. There is little to drive it and no clear end point. It has no real purpose other than as a conversation starter. There are no revelations, nothing presented is new to me. It's basically a lot of professional artists talking about what's right in front of everyone. Being objective is fine if you're talking facts, but this is mostly speculation about the future of art and technology and the movie refuses to say anything definitive or outline any real possibilities or hopes. It's just vaguely optimistic I guess. It's a documentary on art and invention that has no ideas.
August 16, 2011
Another one I saw at the 2011 CIFF. Nothing much new to learn in this doc. You don't get to know the artists using new technology very well. So many different talking heads flicker by and so many artists briefly appear only to not be seen again. Music is more heavily focused upon than movies, ebooks, or graphic arts. If everyone has the technology and thinks they can be the next star or success story, how does this water down our culture? How does this amateur movement chasing instant success influence those who have in depth training and experience backing up their art? This movie is fast and flashy and with the focus on music reminded me of a club scene. After a few months the one artist who stuck, who had the longest through line in the movie, was the young pianist who mixed classical and pop influences while self recording at home until he was invited to play with a professional philharmonic orchestra.
July 28, 2011
Good music, very good cinematography, and a good array of speakers, talking about the dumbing down, (I mean "democratization") of art through easily accessible digital media. What the movie fails to mention is that despite all the "grey muck" of mediocre to poor art out there, digital media and distribution (like Youtube) will make it easier for disadvantaged great artists to find a voice. The cream rises to the top.
July 25, 2011
Insightful and very engaging. Shot beautifully and edited with a strong understanding of the film's content. Recommended to anyone and everyone interested in pursuing music or film...
April 3, 2011
Really good documentary about the present and future states of media. Are we on the cusp of a new golden age or a new dark age? Evidence of both is provided, and many other points about film, music, and publishing are discussed as well.
½ March 28, 2011
One of the smarter documentaries to come out in recent memory. It tackles a lot of important subject matter without confusing or losing the viewer, without imparting too much subjectivity. Excellent cinematography and execution.
March 28, 2011
if creativity needs a spark, this is it.