Pressure Cooker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pressure Cooker Reviews

January 18, 2011
To this film was very inspiring because, even though your poor and don't have a good living area you can still do great and achieve your goals in life and be happy. This movie inspiried me so much because I want to be a culinary arts student when i am older and i hope to achieve what all these students have a acheved and be able to work as hard as they di to achieve everything they did.
January 16, 2011
Inspiring and moving tales from a kitchen in a Philadelphia high school featuring the unforgettable Mrs. Stephenson. An amazing story!
½ November 30, 2010
This film is so inspiring. It shows that you don't need to be rich or have a good home life to get what you want. In this Documentary the students all come from a troubled child hood but they strive to reach their goal. I love how it is a documentary too, so it isn't just like a made up thing because this actually happened. It inspires me to reach for my goals even if I am going through a hard time. This film can teach you really good lessons if you just open your eyes and watch for them. I recommend this to everyone because this is the best documentary I have ever seen!
½ November 30, 2010
I'm glad that Eric, Tyree Dudley and Fatoumata got scholarships to the colleges they liked. I am happy for Fatoumata got it because she has so much potential and she has such an inspirational story from how she lived in Africa. Wilma Stepheson was an awesome teacher; she was funny, inspiring and caring. I loved the documentary! I would defiantly recommend it to other people because the stories behind these 3 students are an inspirational realistic situation. So many high school kids today are not fortunate to go to college and watching these kids go for it and to win a scholarship is amazing and it gives hope for other kids. Like I said earlier I liked Fatoumata. Knowing that these students will make it through college because of their passion for cooking will give them the opportunity goes far in life. I would defiantly make another documentary on what and how their doing five years from now. I think other people will be touched by this film. I loved the ending how Ms. Wilma got close to her students, so close they had a barbeque.
½ November 23, 2010
Wish I had a teacher like her.
November 18, 2010
This documentary was a well formed, informational, learning experience. I think there was no other way this movie could have been made and get their messege out.
November 18, 2010
In this documentary, many great lessons were shown through the hardwork of a culinary arts program. The tough love of the teacher, Wilma Stephenson, combined with the dedication and reality of the students makes it a good movie and the audience doesn't really notice how into the movie they get until its over. The use of darker lighting and titles on the screen showing times really gives audience members an idea of the dedication put forth by all. Wilma Stephenson directly tells students how much time they will be putting in and what time they have to get up. This gives the audience a deeper respect for the highschool students. Also, the cameraman is sure to get the lives of the main students outside of school. This helps the audience know they came from a tought background and continued to succeed anyways. The life stories of these students also allows audiences to relate to it and connect it to their own lives. Overall, this movie very well represents struggles and lessons of life.
½ November 14, 2010
Inspiring documentary about a Culinary Arts program at an inner-city school in Philadelphia where kids work their asses off trying to earn scholarships so they can break the cycle of poverty they were born into. AMAZING score by Prince Paul and Donald Newkirk.
November 2, 2010
THIS FILM IS AMAZING. if you haven't seen it yet, it is now streaming on netflix.
November 2, 2010
An important film that needs to be seen by all high schools students and teachers. While everyone is Waiting For Superman, there is a Superwoman working wonders at Frankford High School in Philadelphia.
½ October 15, 2010
I enjoyed this film a lot because it is very inspiring in many ways. The reason I liked this film is because when I'm out of high school, I want to be a chef. I would love to learn how to cook and bake many new things that I don't know how to make right now. I always used to bake cakes and cookies before my parents came home from work, and they would tell me all the time that I did a really good job even thought it was just cookies...But I still appreciate when they tell me that. Pressure Cooker was also a funny movie because the teacher Ms. Stephenson was so loud, but she makes jokes a lot. She's a tough love kind of teacher.
½ October 7, 2010
Pressure cooker
??Pressure cooker?? is an inspiring documentary about Ms Grant, most lightly Americas most famous tough-love art teacher. We`ll see how she balances going from scarring students from being in her class to being a soft loving teacher. She pushes the students to achieve a cooking scholarship. This movie stands for achieving goals and growing as a person. A movie worth seeing! The movie is mainly about food, but it goes so much deeper than that. We`ll get to know three of the students more up-close than others. The characters are the poor girl from Africa that struggles dealing with balancing her strict father and the Philadelphia culture, the pretty cheerleader that never have time doing anything for herself because of her blind sister that always need her and at last we have the big football player that tries to be there for his family. Ms Grant is becoming softer and more as a friend later in the movie then she predict to be in the beginning.
It shows how reality is in the food business, long days with hard work. There were a lot of scenes just showing us how many hours they practiced tournéed potatoes. The career does not include glamour at any kind, but then again its more elegant than working behind the desk of McDonalds.
October 7, 2010
It showed how a good tough love teacher works.
She teaches firmly and the students know that she will give everything and expect that they do their best.
When they did what they were supposed she was very nice but if you did something wrong because of ignorance or lack of trying she will be mad and disappointed at you.
½ September 25, 2010
Good not great documentary about kids looking to escape urban Philly via culinary careers and a hard-driving teacher determined to get them to work their hardest for a bright future. the directors take a fly-on-the-wall which does not prevent them from getting some great reaction shots from all parties to the drama unfolding. It is a bit padded with the students' lives away from cooking classes and events of the school year, but the core story of pursuing scholarships in the culinary arts has enough underdog appeal to keep the whole thing moving forward. Wilma Stephenson is the sort of larger-than-life character documentary filmmakers dream of.
August 23, 2010
Really powerful documentary about kids from rough neighborhoods working soooo hard to get scholarships through mastery of the culinary Arts, and one teacher who is just fierce in her devotion to these kids. Uplifting, and just a really great program to hear about.
August 16, 2010
Does a good job of telling these people's stories without resorting to an excess of direct interviews, reality TV style. Surprisingly affecting, but left me with lots of questions. The human interest side is there, but the movie never really explains how/why this high school has a cooking program in the first place, how the competition actually works, and also leaves the teacher as kind of a cipher. The movie is content to construct her as the outwardly cranky teacher who is really devoted to certain students, but I wanted to know more about who she was and where she was coming from, particularly when she casually and caustically drops comments about race and class in the context of cooking - how the students need to refine their palates to be less "ghetto", etc.
July 29, 2010
This is a great story and really well-produced. Very emotional and inspirational, especially for a documentary. See it!
½ July 26, 2010
(#61) GREAT movie!!! Just the kind of thing I want to see before the next school year starts. When passionate teachers find dedicated students ... magic happens! Final grade: B
July 11, 2010
So inspiring! These kids deserve everything the world has to offer.
October 7, 2009
great story. the kids work very hard and the teacher shows how much she cares.