Pretty Ugly People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty Ugly People Reviews

June 16, 2017
You know, I've loved Melissa McCarthy ever since I first saw her in Bridesmaids. When I first saw the trailer all those years ago, I thought Melissa's character would annoy me, the character just had that vibe. But, color me surprised, when Melissa, in a cast full of tremendously funny and talented women, stole the show with a great comedic performance. And ever since then, I've been a big fan of the woman. Some would argue that she's just a female Kevin James when they criticize her or they use her weight as a reason for why she's not funny. The difference between Melissa and Kevin is the fact that, while Melissa does use her physicality as part of her performance, she's also got great comedic timing and delivery. She doesn't just use her 'weight' to get laughs, she uses all of the talents that she has at her disposal. Not to mention that, when it comes right down to it, Melissa McCarthy is a damn good actress and Kevin James couldn't act his way out of a paper bag if that bag was possessed by Daniel Day Lewis' spirit and it gave him lessons. The point is, Melissa McCarthy is pretty great. I started on this tangent because, as far as I can tell, this is one of Melissa's first major roles. Granted, it's in a small independent film and she had done some work prior to this point in supporting roles. Granted, this is also a supporting role, but I think it might have been the one that put her on people's radars, at least in Hollywood. Bridesmaids brought her so much more success and exposure, naturally. And, surprise surprise, like in almost every movie she's in, Melissa ends up being one of the highlights. And let me tell you that those highlights are difficult to come by when it comes to this movie. The idea is a good one. A woman tries to get all her college friends together for one last time as she goes on this hike trail to becoming the person that she wants to be. You see, she used to be fat and she had gastric bypass surgery and she is just four pounds away from her goal. She views her friends as the model of what her life should be like once she achieves her goal. Her friends, six of them I believe, reluctantly agree to go on this trail, even if Lucy (the formerly fat friend) was misleading her friends in getting them to agree to go in the first place. Things, naturally, do not go as planned as the dynamics of the friendship are broken from the inside out. The title of the movie is pretty apropos when it comes to these people and how detestable they can be at times. And that's the main problem with this film, the characters are just about the most unlikable people you will ever meet. With the exception of, maybe, Mary and Trevor, all of these people are the biggest assholes to each other and it's kind of an unpleasant film to watch at times. It's difficult to see how these people ever managed to be friends in the first place. There's racism, sexism, homophobia, adultery and that's just off the top of my head. I get the idea of the film and exploring these very flawed people and their relationships with one another. But, the fact of the matter is, that we are all flawed in whatever way that may be and, I'm sure, that most of us aren't major fucking dickheads to one another, least of all to our friends. You can write a movie with flawed characters that you can relate to because, once again, we all have our flaws and maybe we would be able to see ourselves in some of these people and we might be able to reflect on our own choices and mistakes. Not this movie, there's no possible fucking way that anyone, ever, could relate to any of these detestable people. And it's not even that the movie is bad, it's just that the characterizations leave a lot to be desired. The film also lacks structure, it's almost like you're watching one long skit. They jump all over the place from character to character, focusing on whatever issues the film wants to discuss at the time. The problem is that it feels like they're ticking off a box of 'complex' issues. 'Oh, we discussed racism, we can check off that box, now it's time to deal with homophobia' and so and so forth. That's no way to write a movie, it just feels like an incredibly forced and artificial. These issues have to come up organically for them to feel like actual character development and/or progression. The acting is perfectly solid, but these actors just can't elevate a script with contemptible characters. The ending also feels a little too perfect. Granted, the friends went through something very serious and that might have brought them together, but it's all wrapped up with a neat little bow. In all honesty, this movie is fine. It really is fine, I found it to be perfectly watchable. But there is no denying that the characters are just insufferable and the structuring of the script and its themes is piss-poor, at best. Yes, this is a perfectly fine movie to watch if you want something to kill time with. But it's not an entertaining movie and you really shouldn't watch it, there are better things to do with your time. You could go out and get laid or something. Three minutes of sex is more satisfying than this.
May 23, 2017
The movie grows more and more interminable as it limps towards its ludicrously upbeat finale.
June 14, 2016
Talented cast, great acting, beautiful setting... terrible movie! Plot holes, problems with the writing, and the music did not seem to match the tone of the movie. Very strange, and not in a good way.
½ May 26, 2016
With all the talent gathered for this, it's hard to say it's not that great. It's also hard because it seems like Tate was making something genius. But then I feel like he just didn't do that good of a job writing. I'm even putting aside that my simple and very small expectations were completely twisted around. There's not to many laughs, but they are all laugh out loud hilarious. This is ultimately more of a drama, which is fine, and it's also about how old friends getting back together goes to shit. It all depends how you go into the movie. And the actors are all great, and give their all.
½ May 4, 2016
Pretty Ugly People: This strange Big Chill knockoff, by Tate Taylor, who would go on to direct the outstanding Oscar-praised The Help, is about a woman who summons her estranged college friends to the Montana countryside for what she says is her "final" weekend. As the truth comes out about her intentions, so too does the truth about her friends' dysfunctional lives. The disjointed dramedy, succeeds neither at the comedy or drama, although Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer do each have some truly funny moments. C
March 8, 2015
This movie just fell short in every way. Writing was terrible, acting was forgettable, except for McCarthy, she's always good and she played this role well, the role was just simply terrible, plot was very weak. Just a boring eye-roller start to finish.
August 23, 2014
Boring, cheap, lousy movie.
August 8, 2014
Despite horrible reviews all over the web, I thoroughly enjoyed the film for a few reasons. Two that stand out the most are: 1) I didn't sit there wondering when it would be over. 2) It is an honest message as to what it takes for most (not all) people to change in their lives in order to be happy. I also enjoyed the major twist thrown at the audience towards the end. It goes along feeling predictable but utterly throws you for a loop. There are also some lines said by each character that are startlingly similar to what people would say in real life. Despite my dislike for the actress who plays Lucy, the whole movie felt incredibly real including the "blandness" other reviews have noted. It's definitely worth watching.
June 28, 2014
Not a big Missi Pyle fan but decent movie
April 4, 2014
The title says it all. Ugly (on the inside) folks, college friends, meet again at the behest of a member that is dying. The meeting is occasion for some "changes" that make everyone a less ugly person, and we're supposed to feel good about it, through the magic of quirky independent film charm. But that's not what happens. It's the script's fault. That's enough about that.
March 13, 2014
After years of not seeing each other, Lucy calls her college friends together for a weekend trip because she "doesn't have much time left". She looked up to all her friends in college thinking they were pretty and perfect, as she was large and had very low self confidence, but as her dream trip soon proves none of them are perfect and they are pretty ugly people.

The film is alright. I was expecting a bit more of a comedy but it is fairly dramatic. I didn't feel to connected to any of the characters, the acting was fine and even enjoyable, but Its hard to get really involved with a large group of characters with a supposed long history together and their own secrets, in an hour and half film. I do wish they could have spent more time on some characters and their friendships in college more. I may have also missed some details as I was also on my computer for a little bit near the beginning and I had a slight difficulty hearing some of the lines.
February 18, 2014
Add "fat" and "terrible movie" to title and it would all fit perfect.
February 3, 2014
Beautiful Scenery in Montana.
February 1, 2014
This was a under advertised movie and the ratings don't do it justice. Great movie about old friends and what really matters. It's skid about what doesn't matter. Funny yet takes a look at some hard stuff too.
January 21, 2014
Melissa McCarthy was the only good part of the movie but it couldn't make up for this horrible story which forgot where it was going most the time. Terribly done and aside from a few good lines from McCarthy, it was god awful.
October 30, 2013
Beautiful cinematography brings out the best in the scenery and emotions of the actors. The story is smartly written with brash comedy at times that enables the characters to bring forth their shallow lives. Nature and overdressed actors make for a mix that is full of laughs and then turns towards sympathy with a dash of shock. Nibbles: Bean and Cheese Barito.
October 4, 2013
Meh. Title pretty much sums it up. It made sure not to fall into any stereotypical cliches (just kidding, of course it did- with human stomach sprinkles on top)
½ April 28, 2013
Not bad. Watchable. Nice story. Watched it only because Melissa McCarthy was In it.
February 16, 2013
Har lyst til se denne.
October 13, 2012
Reunion of college classmates under false pretenses sets the stage for exposing longstanding dysfunctions, how much things have changed for all of them, and the real strength of friendship. Good film, a bit light on substance in spite of a heavier than expected story line. The talented Melissa McCarthy does a great job with her role. Larry Sullivan is also a standout. The rest of the cast does well, but the story line, surprisingly, doesn't fully develop the main character - to the point she almost feels like a plot device for the others to work out their issues. Which is very (unintentionally) funny considering her motivations.