Pretty As A Picture: The Art Of David Lynch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty As A Picture: The Art Of David Lynch Reviews

April 7, 2014
A very simply constructed & more intimate documentary on legendary Art House director David Lynch.

More focused on his creative process than his actual films I appreciate that unique outlook of this Doco Film.

He is no doubt a strange figure in Cinema but this film definitely adds the human element to him.
January 27, 2014
Interesting doc on David Lynch. Esp liked the insight into his movie making & artwork.

Note: it is a 1999 film.
½ January 22, 2013
It's always fun to see David Lynch: The Man. While, there's a great look at the young Lynch, this doc offers no real insight into his work -- Granted, David doesn't like to talk about his work. However, the cameras are following him making "Lost Highway" -- let's see more of his process! What there is (like how to solve for a rain problem) is brilliant and fascinating.
½ November 13, 2011
This is a straightforward documentary about the not terribly straightforward subject of David Lynch. It was shot during the making of Lost Highway, and features interviews with Lynch himself, as well as such Lynch associates as composer Angelo Badalamenti, Jack Fisk, Patricia Arquette, Dean Stockwell, and Mel Brooks (who produced The Elephant Man). The movie covers the sort of territory you would expect, showing Lynch on set and during the recording of the musical score. The interviews also cover some of Lynch's previous films, including Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, and at one point Lynch and some of the people he made Eraserhead with go back to the tiny studio where they had shot that movie. Lynch himself comes across as a weird but affable guy in the documentary, though there's something kind of creepy behind his eyes. The movie doesn't go terribly in depth on what any of Lynch's movies mean, of course, but it does give you some nice contextual information about Lynch's work. The movie doesn't get to the bottom of the mystery of David Lynch, but it is breezy and accessible and more fun to watch than about half of Lynch's actual films.
½ August 16, 2011
Great overview of Lynch's career up to the late '90s, very engrossing from beginning to end for those of us who find the man's crazy oeuvre worth pursuing.

I particularly enjoyed the look into his artwork, absolutely none of which I would ever want in my house, because the man may be slightly crazy. That said, it's still fascinating to watch him work.

Recommended.
August 14, 2011
Documentário bastante generoso sobre um realizador que só muito raramente aceita falar sobre o seu trabalho e processo. Grande parte do documentário incide no Lost Highway? e Eraserhead?. O mais impressionante será ver como o David Lynch transformou o Bill Pullman num actor interessante, durante as filmagens do Lost Highway?. Só um grande manipulador conseguiria tal coisa com um canastrão daqueles
July 21, 2010
C- = Slightly below average
April 30, 2010
Better than I thought it would be. I must note that I wasn't a big fan of David Lynch going into this doc. This film covers his movies more than the tittle would lead you to believe. David Lynch is an intersting guy and I am convinced that he is the real deal as a artist. I think I have to watch one of his films again.
mirabella1996
½ January 3, 2010
PRETTY AS A PICTURE : The Art Of David Lynch (1997)

Fascinating documentary on maestro Lynch, made at the time of his comeback in 1997 with LOST HIGHWAY.
Traces his entire creative history from childhood to the current day.
There is a LOT of previously unseen material here, including interviews with his kids Jennifer & Austin (now both adults & artists in their own right) & the
late, great Jack Nance, looking sadly frail & unwell just before he passed away.
Well worth a look, particularly for fans.

4 & a half stars out of 5.
September 9, 2009
He glues bugs to an art canvas - wicked nasty. This is one my favorite Lynch documentary ever.
½ July 9, 2009
Really interesting interviews and stories about David Lynch and his work. Probably boring if you aren't a fan but very intriguing if you are.
½ May 26, 2009
½ April 14, 2009
Revelador documental acerca del trabajo del director David Lynch, que ademas de cine incluye fotografia, pintura y carpinteria. Los fanaticos del director quedaran satisfechos.
January 22, 2009
Mildly entertaining if a bit standard. It is very interesting to see David at work on various art projects and learning about his odd career. Filmed in conjunction with Lost Highway, this documentary is worth a look.
September 23, 2008
Mildly entertaining if a bit standard. It is very interesting to see David at work on various art projects and learning about his odd career. Filmed in conjunction with LOST HIGHWAY, this documentary is worth a look.
½ July 20, 2008
The most interesting thing about David Lynch is his work. Some interesting pieces in this film, but mostly it made me want to watch "Lost Highway."
½ June 20, 2008
I love David Lynch, but this documentary was a little dry at times.
April 11, 2008
I made a copy of this for a friend so I decided to rewatch it myself, as it'd been far too long.

For what it is (a partial look at the making of Lynch's then new film Lost Highway and an overview of his methods, collaborators, etc.) this documentary is perfect. Shot on video and at 30fps, it feels more like a DVD special feature than a film itself but it'd make for a 5 star DVD feature.

An interesting look at an interesting artist.
March 27, 2008
Awesome! A very very very good documentary about the life and work of David Lynch. It was produced during shooting of "Lost Highway". If you were ever confused about Lynch's motivations and intentions (that would be like... everybody? ;o) ) this is your documentary to watch!