• PG-13, 1 hr. 36 min.

—— Last Man Standing: Season 3
—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Pretty in Pink Reviews

April 8, 2014
This is probably the weakest Hughes film I've seen. It feels like it's trying to shove a big, serious message into a little, pink pill so it's easier to swallow. It doesn't really work and awkwardly gets stuck in the audience's throat. The only good performances are by Spader and Cryer. Ringwald and Potts are cute but somewhat lackluster. The rest are variations of mediocre (McCarthy) and downright awful (Stanton). When I first watched this a while ago I wanted Ringwald to end up with Cryer. Now I just wish she wouldn't have ended up with anyone. Meet some better dudes in college, girl.
TheFeldster
April 6, 2014
Another John Hughes "Brat Pack" film, "Pretty in Pink" never quite reaches the heights of the likes of "The Breakfast Club", but it is still a servicable and quotable teen drama.

Starring Molly Ringwald, Andrew McCarthy, Jon Cryer, Harry Dean Stanton, Annie Potts and James Spader, this is a pretty standard story of two people from different walks of life coming together romantically.

It is elevated, however, with the absolutely killer 80's soundtrack, headlined by "If You Leave" by Orchestral Manouveres in the Dark. Also helping the film is the inclusion of Jon Cryer's character, "Duckie", who as the "friend-zone" archetype, brings a surprising amount of colour to the film.

This is purely a fun film.
January 14, 2008
Cute movie, but I'm rather furious that they pushed Duckie to the side. I suppose the film is more realistic because of the fact that the girl went for the rich attractive guy versus the devoted geek. This movie waxes poorly for stalkerish / needy guys everywhere. lol
August 13, 2010
Good film and good music thanks to OMD
February 15, 2014
Pretty In Pink(1986)
Starring:Molly Ringwald,Harry Dean,Jon Cryer,Andrew Mccarthy,Annie Potts,James Spader,Jim Hayne,Alexia Kein,and Kate Venon
Directed By:Howard Deutch
My Review
BLANE'S A PRETTY COOL GUY. ANDIE'S PRETTY IN PINK. AND DUCKY'S PRETTY CRAZY.
I was expecting a little bit too much from this 80's film. Whenever I think of an 80's movie and one of the main stars is Molly Ringwald who was supposedly very famous during the 80's I think that the movie is going to blow me away from start to finish, although this one just didn't. I believe it has to do with the fact that these characters aren't doing anything that the audience might consider memorable. I'll probably forget most of what happened in this movie sooner or later, cause nothing here is memorable.
Not to say the film is bad or anything,cause this movie isn't bad it just didn't meet my expectations.
The film is about Andie Walsh (Molly Ringwald) is a teenager who lives in the dingy part of town with her terminally underemployed dad (Harry Dean Stanton). She works at a record store with eccentric Ionia (Annie Potts) and is considered a misfit at her uppity high school, but somehow she rises above them all. Her oddball best friend, Duckie (Jon Cryer), is hopelessly in love with her, so he causes trouble for her romantic pursuits. When local rich kid Blaine (Andrew McCarthy) develops a fascination with her, they go out on a date together. Visiting the home bases of each social clique, they are basically ridiculed for their audacity to date one another. When Blaine eventually asks the delighted Andie to the prom, he is threatened by his rich friend Steff (James Spader). The romance versus high school social politics finally culminates at the big night of the prom.
The acting is still very good from all the actors in the film, I just didn't feel anything in this movie's run time or say hey that looks like fun. It came good for a laugh though. It was still very enjoyable. When the end credit's rolled and I saw James Spader's name i was like o my goodness cause my mother watches his show The Blacklist. It may have been funny but it didn't have any memorable funny one-liners or actions done by the cat.
The movie is very good but not very memorable I give Pretty in Pink a 3 out of 5.
FanBoyCritic
February 15, 2014
Pretty In Pink(1986)
Directed By:Howard Deutch
My Review
BLANE'S A PRETTY COOL GUY. ANDIE'S PRETTY IN PINK. AND DUCKY'S PRETTY CRAZY.
Ben D.
December 14, 2013
A romantic comedy that rises way above the rest due to John Hughes fantastic writing and well cast stars.
January 31, 2013
Sh...she chose Blaine?
Monica Susie
January 6, 2014
I'm not crazy on 80's teen movies; this is sort of a typical cliché film about rich boy and poor girl, but it's charming, and fun and on top of that you've got to love Duckie! The film is about a working class girl , Andie (Molly Ringwald) who falls in love with the rich boy at school, Blane (Andrew McCarthy). Unknown to Andie her best guy friend Duckie (Jon Cryer) is in love with her. I can't say that I can really relate to the film, when I was at school no boys ever looked at me; from my experience the unpopular girl doesn't get the popular hot guy. Despite the film being cliché and predictable, its sweet with likeable characters and it's a pleasant watch.

Grade: B
January 5, 2014
Still a good film but not as good as some of the other John Hughes masterpieces.
November 28, 2009
Like the main character, the actors in this one did as best they could with what they had at their disposal.
December 24, 2013
Le veritable avec le teen cinema de John Hughes, c'est qu'il ne se renouvele absolument jamais. Et quand il ne trouve pas de concept a la Breakfast Club, ca donne le trop classique Pretty in Pink, realise sans genie par le yes man Howard Deutsch et dont le casting est bien trop faible (meme Molly Ringwald et James Spader ne sont pas tres bons). La bande-son est probablement la seule chose qui sort du lot de cette romcom de serie.
December 21, 2013
It's predictable as hell and certainly pales in comparison to John Hughes' other works like Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club but Molly Ringwald is charming as ever and Jon Cryer delivers an hilarious performance to make the movie charming enough for me to like it. Would I watch it again? Probably not.
December 8, 2013
No forced stay at home weekend can go without watching this movie. it's movies like these that make being stuck in bed ok.
Deckard42
November 30, 2013
Pretty in Pink is a solid, well acted, and thoughtful film on teenage cliques and the relationships they have with one another. However, the film's over-exaggeration of prom and its weak supporting characters (with the exception of semi creepy Duckie) hold it back from being a true classic.
Matthew Samuel M

November 27, 2013
In typical John Hughes fashion, Pretty in Pink is nostalgic, beautifully-filmed, touchingly honest, and wonderfully enjoyable.
November 25, 2013
CLASSIC! Love this movie and have watched it several times over the years. Molly Ringwald is great but Jon Cryer makes this movie so much fun to watch! Great story line and memorable characters!
November 14, 2013
Pretty in Pink features some wonderfully talented actors by the standard of most teen movies. Their believability gives this very typical (and at times corny) adolescent love story some moments of moving truth and relatability.
November 14, 2013
80's classic depicting the blurred lines between the High school popular kid crushing on the not so popular. Great movie.
October 28, 2013
When a rich and attractive boy asks a pretty but poor girl out she cannot believe her luck. But his friends and family do not approve of her infatuation. A John Hughes production and though not the strongest still one that seems to represent a certain style and the youth culture of its times.