Pretty in Pink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty in Pink Reviews

April 25, 2016
Classic 80's. Good high school movie. Loved Molly.
½ April 14, 2016
Let down by an unconvincing ending. Strong, fearless Molly Ringwald character who learns not to be ashamed of her poverty. I think the ending comprimises that integrity. Also, question need for Jon Cryer character to physically attack James Spader character. And is Andrew McCarthy's character right when he says at the end that Spader knows within himself that he is a
heel? I doubt it.
February 19, 2016
Andi should of stayed with Ducky instead of chicken Blaine aka Blender.
February 18, 2016
I watched it just to say that I did and aside from The Breakfast Club I remain unimpressed with Molly Ringwald and her acting.
February 3, 2016
Famously, the end of this movie was changed after test audiences didn't think Ringwald's character should end up with Duckie. Maybe the greatest example of test audiences being a complete waste of time. Otherwise, this supremely 80s teen dramedy is a melodramatic good time.
January 6, 2016
A sweet coming-of-age story with an adorable sense of humor, an awesome soundtrack and some superb performances by Stanton, Cryer and Potts, and if the end may not please you (like it did please me), the sincere way the movie shows the insecurities of youth definitely will.
½ November 4, 2015
The stars of the show is the supporting trio of Cryer, Potts and Spader
½ October 24, 2015
Not the greatest john hughes film, but it was decent
October 16, 2015
Pretty in Pink perhaps illustrates why I hate the teen movie genre. The main characters act like immature brats who know nothing about the world outside high school romance, and if you hated Jon Cryer's character in Two and a Half Men before seeing this, his character in this film is no better. Some have referred to this film as essentially the Brat Pack take on Cinderella, but such an assessment couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, if it is Cinderella, then it's passed through a typically obnoxious John Hughes filter. The writing is quite hackneyed, but then again, what more could I expect from a typical 80's teen movie? In this regard, the film's main problem is that the characters are very unconvincing. I fail to see how a rich boy would even be remotely interested in a poor girl like the one played by Molly Ringwald (to be fair, pretty much everyone went after her back in the day). To be fair, the film does have good production values and an even better selection of music, but that doesn't make up for a teen "comedy" with no laughs whatsoever. If it was funny back then, then it must have aged terribly, like most films of the genre. The teen movie itself may as well be a leprous neanderthal limping as it clings hopelessly to life, as illustrated unfailingly by not only this movie, but also John Hughes' many copycats. To be fair, there are films like it that are actually good, but this film is little more than a badly aged and embarrassingly dated relic the 80's.
½ October 16, 2015
Just didn't grab me. I probably shouldn't have waited till I was 39 to see it for the first time.
October 5, 2015
I had more fun with the characters of Duckie and the other female record shop clerk with the constantly changing fashion looks, than I did with the main characters. Molly Ringwalds relationship with the rich kid always felt a less believable. James spader makes for a good elitist highschooler though.
½ September 26, 2015
A classic that should be one.
½ September 19, 2015
great concept of the movie
August 31, 2015
A great teen movie, much thanks to a hilarious and often heart-breaking performance by Jon Cryer and a great script by John Hughes.
½ June 10, 2015
Relish the Great and Terrible of high school from the 80s.
Molly Ringwald carries this with effervescence, and shines throughout.
A fun romp thru the teen years.
Come gawk at the 80s or revisit with hesitant glee, but either way Def worth a look.

3.5 out of 5
June 6, 2015
Classic 80's movie that you have to watch and never gets old.
May 17, 2015
Grew up with this film as it was one of only a few videotapes that my sister had, and that I sadly ended up watching several times when at a loose end at parents house. With what is a very recognisable 80's cast, this circles around social groups within a high school, specifically those between the rich and poor. Like a modern day Romeo and Juliet story, this takes a wealthy boy from one side, and a working class girl from the other, and pits them together amongst several struggles to fend off peer pressure. Everything is against our two leads, including their own doubting minds, with the only thing going for them being their basic love for one another and the desire to attend the senior prom. Packed full of solemn yet catchy music tracks, this typifies the 80's mood and style but with an injection of humour from Duckie, it develops into a very pleasing little spectacle. The whole concept feels very basic, but yet its teenage love story script, has a somewhat fairytale appeal, with Molly Ringwald proving that it's hip to be square. If asked to recommend a film from the 80's, this would always be up there with those that spring to mind first simply because of its repeat value that has meant I've watched it on a countless number of occasions. Despite now growing up, I can't ever see that pattern changing as its a real feel good film that can suit any mood that you're in - They certainly don't make em' like this anymore!
½ April 4, 2015
Annoyingly bland 80's high-school comedy romance. The whole film seemed to be meant as a time capsule for anyone who wants to see how daft the eighties fasions and fads were. It's very much a film written to promote the scene, the cast, and the music and the story was secondary and therefore very dull.
March 29, 2015
some how I've gotten to 36yrs and still hadn't
seen this...until tonight. classic 80s.
March 20, 2015
La base de tous les films d'ados qui ont suivi. Classique !