Pretty in Pink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty in Pink Reviews

½ November 4, 2015
The stars of the show is the supporting trio of Cryer, Potts and Spader
½ October 24, 2015
Not the greatest john hughes film, but it was decent
October 16, 2015
Pretty in Pink perhaps illustrates why I hate the teen movie genre. The main characters act like immature brats who know nothing about the world outside high school romance, and if you hated Jon Cryer's character in Two and a Half Men before seeing this, his character in this film is no better. Some have referred to this film as essentially the Brat Pack take on Cinderella, but such an assessment couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, if it is Cinderella, then it's passed through a typically obnoxious John Hughes filter. The writing is quite hackneyed, but then again, what more could I expect from a typical 80's teen movie? In this regard, the film's main problem is that the characters are very unconvincing. I fail to see how a rich boy would even be remotely interested in a poor girl like the one played by Molly Ringwald (to be fair, pretty much everyone went after her back in the day). To be fair, the film does have good production values and an even better selection of music, but that doesn't make up for a teen "comedy" with no laughs whatsoever. If it was funny back then, then it must have aged terribly, like most films of the genre. The teen movie itself may as well be a leprous neanderthal limping as it clings hopelessly to life, as illustrated unfailingly by not only this movie, but also John Hughes' many copycats. To be fair, there are films like it that are actually good, but this film is little more than a badly aged and embarrassingly dated relic the 80's.
½ October 16, 2015
Just didn't grab me. I probably shouldn't have waited till I was 39 to see it for the first time.
October 5, 2015
I had more fun with the characters of Duckie and the other female record shop clerk with the constantly changing fashion looks, than I did with the main characters. Molly Ringwalds relationship with the rich kid always felt a less believable. James spader makes for a good elitist highschooler though.
½ September 26, 2015
A classic that should be one.
½ September 19, 2015
great concept of the movie
August 31, 2015
A great teen movie, much thanks to a hilarious and often heart-breaking performance by Jon Cryer and a great script by John Hughes.
½ June 10, 2015
Relish the Great and Terrible of high school from the 80s.
Molly Ringwald carries this with effervescence, and shines throughout.
A fun romp thru the teen years.
Come gawk at the 80s or revisit with hesitant glee, but either way Def worth a look.

3.5 out of 5
June 6, 2015
Classic 80's movie that you have to watch and never gets old.
May 17, 2015
Grew up with this film as it was one of only a few videotapes that my sister had, and that I sadly ended up watching several times when at a loose end at parents house. With what is a very recognisable 80's cast, this circles around social groups within a high school, specifically those between the rich and poor. Like a modern day Romeo and Juliet story, this takes a wealthy boy from one side, and a working class girl from the other, and pits them together amongst several struggles to fend off peer pressure. Everything is against our two leads, including their own doubting minds, with the only thing going for them being their basic love for one another and the desire to attend the senior prom. Packed full of solemn yet catchy music tracks, this typifies the 80's mood and style but with an injection of humour from Duckie, it develops into a very pleasing little spectacle. The whole concept feels very basic, but yet its teenage love story script, has a somewhat fairytale appeal, with Molly Ringwald proving that it's hip to be square. If asked to recommend a film from the 80's, this would always be up there with those that spring to mind first simply because of its repeat value that has meant I've watched it on a countless number of occasions. Despite now growing up, I can't ever see that pattern changing as its a real feel good film that can suit any mood that you're in - They certainly don't make em' like this anymore!
½ April 4, 2015
Annoyingly bland 80's high-school comedy romance. The whole film seemed to be meant as a time capsule for anyone who wants to see how daft the eighties fasions and fads were. It's very much a film written to promote the scene, the cast, and the music and the story was secondary and therefore very dull.
March 29, 2015
some how I've gotten to 36yrs and still hadn't
seen this...until tonight. classic 80s.
March 20, 2015
La base de tous les films d'ados qui ont suivi. Classique !
½ February 19, 2015
Pretty in Pink is another addition to the "brat pack" John Hughes movies. The story is about Andie, a poor girl that lives in a bit of a broken family and is constantly being judged for being lower class. I thought this was a pretty good chick flick to be honest. Molly Ringwald does a good job in this movie, Jon Cryer is good at playing the nerdy doof Duckie, Blaine was a pretty likable interesting character but he was a bit clichà (C). The one character I loved in the movie was Andie's dad. He seemed like a really nice guy and he really shows that he loves his daughter. The story seems really depressing at times which was kinda weird. I didn't really expect it to be as down as it was though. The whole movie seems kinda like a love disaster until the final act of the film. Whether or not you like watching love's ups and downs will affect if you like this movie because this movie is basically that. The last 20 minutes in this movie though is great. Everything got tied together and the ending was kinda cheesy but it was a great way to end a movie. Overall Pretty In Pink wasn't my favorite Hughes movie but the characters had undeniably good chemistry, the story was a bit clichà (C) but fun, and it had a great ending. B-
½ February 7, 2015
Easily one of John Hughes' worst. Forgettable soundtrack and very little that stands out besides the father daughter relationship. But what ultimately torpedoes this movies is Ducky; an irritating, unsympathetic precursor to the modern day hipster.
February 3, 2015
its a pretty good 80's movie from john hughes
½ January 29, 2015
A unique take on romantic films. Even after all these years falls outside the mold.
January 11, 2015
John Hughes' classic 80's teen angst drama starring the genre's iconic leading lady, Molly Ringwald, 'Pretty in Pink' is a consistently engaging take on the well-worn star-crossed lovers tale. Gorgeously performed by its young leads (John Cryer is particularly fun) the film remains a career highlight for all those concerned. Its enduring appeal three decades on is a testament to Hughes' ability to speak to a generation in a manner that his contemporaries failed to do.
January 8, 2015
Howard Deutch and John Hughes' "Pretty In Pink" is a serviceable 1980s teenybopper dramedy that delivers enough chuckles and smiles to surmount its lackluster ending.