Pretty Poison Reviews

• Jan 31, 2018

An excellent black comedy from the late 60s that more than stands the test of time, but I take issue with Hal Erickson's description of the lead character as "psychotic," much more of a fantasist around who things go horribly wrong. Perkins and Weld play their roles to perfection.

• Jan 14, 2018

Fantastic study of two troubled young people, with surprises aplenty. I giggled quite a lot at its dark comedic elements, yet there is something sinister here.

• Oct 28, 2017

What starts as a weak, typecast vehicle for Perkins becomes a tour de force for Weld, Garland, & yes - Perkins. It may take one to know one; but think of that phrase in the reverse situation...

• May 07, 2017

A little cult movie from the 60s. The typical theme of the 60s - rebellious youths, a boy and a girl. Performances are memorable and iconic. It's hard to say who is more dangerous, a crazy one or a normal one.

• Mar 17, 2016

6.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2iX

6.2/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2iX

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Jan 24, 2016

Perkins doesn't stretch himself, the film belongs to Weld and she does a terrific job.

• Jan 04, 2016

Weird dude Anthony Perkins is recently paroled from serving time in association with a suspicious death, so what does he do? Hooks up with Tuesday Weld's equally strange teenaged character, who takes all the ridiculous tall tales he spins about being a secret agent as true, and she starts to plan his involvement in a suspicious death of her own devising. Oddball stuff, worth a rental if you like the leads.

• Dec 27, 2015

This film seems to exist only as a reaction to other films. Hitchcock's Psycho is most prominent as Tony Perkins's young arsonist could easily be a reimagined Norman Bates released from an institution and a little shaky on the outside. Meeting young Tuesday Weld allows him to engage fantasies of being a CIA agent and fighting industrial pollution (!!!) but she turns out to be even more sociopathic than him. Thus we also receive echoes of the previous year's Bonnie and Clyde. However, the tone of Pretty Poison is strange - the music cues soft and sentimental feelings even as the young pair get deeper into trouble (including murder). So, the film can't quite decide if it feels sorry for an increasingly anxious Perkins or wants to take the sex and violence exploitation route with Weld. Unfortunately, it winds up somewhere in between and loses some momentum as a result.

• Mar 30, 2015

An underrated and often overlooked thriller. Great performances by Anthony Perkins (although this, along with "Psycho," typecast him as psycho/sociopaths for the rest of his career) and sexpot Tuesday Weld as a seemingly sweet and innocent femme fatale. Highly recommended.

• Apr 01, 2014

Alonso Duralde just made note of this on the Linoleum Knife podcast and it brought back just how much I loved this film.