Pretty Poison - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty Poison Reviews

October 3, 2011
A very interesting black comedy that's apparently developed a pretty big cult following over the years. As evidenced more famously in "Psycho," Anthony Perkins makes an excellent nut job.
½ September 22, 2011
One of those rare cult gems that never seem to pop up when you need them, Pretty Poison is one solid piece of black comedy Americana. Featuring the sterling psychopath character actor, Anthony Perkins, and bubble blonde nymphet Tuesday Weld, this film never bores, never tries too hard to be introspective, and yet achieves perfection in doing so. The plot follows recently released (and obviously still perturbed) inmate Dennis Pitt (Perkins) who starts work at a chemical plant, and eyes band majorette Sue Ann (Weld). What follows is a labyrinth of utter informality, as Dennis leads Sue Ann astray by telling he's a secret agent, sent to stop poison from being released in the water supply. (Ironic since the pollution shown being dumped is a type of poison. Perhaps this was a green initiative.) Perkins has all the queer quirks he exhibited in his seminal best, Psycho, but also has a calm innocence that can only come from being slightly off your rocker and completely intent on bridging the gap between yourself and someone you're infatuated with. Instead of a screaming Janet Leigh, Tuesday exhibits this odd temperament of high school angst queen, beautiful and simplistic. She seems a mere pawn in Perkins game, working to fix the crimes of his past by committing more with his accomplice. As they go along, performing secret missions and falling in love in the span of a week, it's easier to see the aggressive side of Sue Ann emerge, and we soon come to believe that perhaps Dennis, the convicted felon, is the lesser of two evils. Bleak, black, and remotely sweet, Perkins comes off as a new type of insanity, a bittersweet manner and a loving and loyal approach. Weld, who at first seems the familiar blonde without purpose, transforms to become the central addiction and most complex character of the entire film. Certainly worth a view, and round of applause.
February 15, 2011
definitely worth seeing -
½ February 8, 2011
Wirklich gelungener Film mit einem guten Anthony Perkins und einer grandiosen Tuesday Weld als Sue Ann. Ihr Charakter ist so cool und sie spielt ihn so gut, dass sie den Film beinahe alleine trägt.
3,5/5 (ohne Tuesday Weld hätte er 3/5 bekommen)
January 6, 2011
Anthony Perkins is a total bad-ass.
½ December 11, 2010
I absolutely loved Perkins and Weld together in this movie, they're perfect. The story and characters are so hilarious. This is a fantastic black comedy, I love it.
June 12, 2010
Anthony Perkins is oddly sweet as a psycopath who unfortunately meets his match in a sweet-looking piece of evil. The movie soundtrack shrieks late 1960's, but it's an oddity worth seeing.
February 21, 2010
PRETTY POISON is a solid little film starring PSYCHO's Anthony Perkins. I had long been wanting to see Perkins in something other than the PSYCHO films, and he didn't disappoint at all in a role that is different from Norman Bates.

The strength of PRETTY POISON is the chemistry that is shared by the film's two leads, Perkins and Tuesday Weld. As the plot goes on and becomes more intricate and twisted, it doesn't become the least bit difficult to follow, and Perkins and Weld help to keep the viewers' attention throughout. Their characters' relationship is a very odd one, and it comes off as quite interesting and is really quite memorable, mainly for how odd it actually is, but also because Perkins and Weld are extraordinary in their roles.

Director Noel Black does a fine job of crafting this film, opting for a minimalist approach over something overblown and overdone. PRETTY POISON is a fairly low-key film, but it works here. It's excellently shot, with Black opting for more ordinary surroundings for his characters in an effort to show just how truly over-the-top they both are, even in spite of the grounded performances of Perkins and Weld, which only accentuates this point.

PRETTY POISON is an excellent film, one of the best I've seen in a while.
½ January 9, 2010
I am truly disappointed. The story is weird and not really explained. The only thing which made me rate this movie 2 1/2 stars are the amazing performances by Weld and Perkins. The two have a real Bonnie and Clyde spirit, and it was great seeing their interaction. Shame the movie's story is so bad.
December 29, 2009
This movie made no sense whatsoever & had no real point. Everybody that knows me..KNOWS how much i love Anthony Perkins..but he was just..idk..annoying in this film. His acting was so bad..& i know he can do so much better. It was disturbing to watch..& the girl was just..a total little psychopath!..way more crazy than Dennis ever thought about being! I do not recommend this film to anyone..even a Tony fan. His good looks couldn't save him in this one.
½ December 12, 2009
Hard to think of a lot of other (newer) movies as original after seeing this.
December 4, 2009
This film reminded me of why I love cult films of the sixties, and also that Anthony Perkins was a great actor. So good at playing the tortured character! A movie like this could not be made today without uproar - a sex scene between a crazy man and a high school girl? The abusive mother, played by Beverly Garland, adds a gritty and necessary touch. And Tuesday Weld is sexy and, well, you just need to see it to believe its weirdness. A little gem of a psychological thriller.
November 23, 2009
The turn of events is quite well plotted out and develops in interesting directions. The film also has a French New Wave aura to it at times, with the quick flashbacks and characters pretending to be something else... I definitely felt a Band of Outsiders meets Shoot the Piano Player vibe. Weld and Perkins are playing much younger than their actual ages, and it shows, but otherwise their performances are solid. Very intriguing little cult film.
½ October 28, 2009
Serviceable psycho-thriller has its moments, but is ultimately underwhelming. An original story, and strong performances by Anthony Perkins and Tuesday Weld - the plot stretches credibility and it just never lives up to its full potential. Not a bad film, by any means, but not as memorable as it should be.
October 24, 2009
So, I have this biig ying for Anthony Perkins. He's hot, well was hot. I loove hot, creepy guys so I thought hey, I'll watch this movie.

Holy cow, it's good. I really liked it. Perkin's plays a kinda strange man, who falls for a 17 year old girl who he kind of tricks into thinking he's in the CIA. Well, come to find out, she's a bit more crazy than he is, a lot crazier. She gets so far into the lie that she starts killing people.
½ October 24, 2009
Wow, just magnificent. Smart and unpredictable, with a devilish wit. How have I only seen three Anthony Perkins performances before, including this one? He's simply perfect, vulnerable and overconfident at the same time, doling out his character's past bit by bit through that nuanced (and gorgeous) face. And I didn't even talk about Tuesday Weld! A near-masterpiece.
½ May 19, 2009
I did not enjoy this movie as much as the other reviewers. It has a kind of charm but I am not sure I would watch it again.