Prey for Rock & Roll - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prey for Rock & Roll Reviews

September 3, 2012
Un filme descafeinado con romances forzados, musica intrascendente, personajes encasillados... y de entre la bruma surge la figura eterea de Gina Gershon, ya madurita, pero energizada y muy sexosa. No me gusta hablar de lugares comunes, pero por ejemplo, I Wanna Be Your Dog de Iggy Pop ha fungido como soundtrack en al menos 13 ocasiones desde 1986, casi en el mismo contexto.
½ April 2, 2012
Gina Gershon. Enough said.
March 14, 2012
This is easily my favorite movie. It gets depressing, but if you stick with it, the ending is well worth the ride. Plus you have the bonus of an excellent soundtrack!
December 23, 2011
I get the impression this movie was written by a jaded wannabe rock star much like the one depicted in the film. There's so much negativity and so many pretentious, depressed characters that there's no possible way I could enjoy it. The only character I found remotely realistic or likeable was Animal, and he was not enough to save the rest of it. Waste of time.
December 22, 2011
I absolutely loved this movie. I always recommend this movie to the local bands I book and promote for. If you want to see what it truly means to be a musician, then this movie shows it.
June 21, 2011
And this is why I don't like "indies". Are the people who write them incapable of happy endings? Or even a positive ending? I'd settle for a hopeful ending. But no. And it's a shame, because a film like this, that details an endless struggle, NEEDS an upbeat ending.
½ June 1, 2011
½ November 4, 2010
This is supposed to be some dyke must-see, however, the only thing it's got going for it, is exactly that. The women look super-sexy on stage (Gina Gherson, Drea De Matteo and Lori Petty are not only fit but believably bad-ass) yet the film itself is poorely scripted and awfully lit, and if it didn't have Hedwig's Steven Trask taking care of the music, I think it would have sucked big time. If you want to spend some time feasting your eyes on the leads, then this movie is for you. If, however, you expect something deeper, you will have to feel content with the "I heart Music that's why I am still 40 and play it" over-riding theme, which may in itself not be so bad, yet it hardly gives us any additional insight into life as such.
½ August 23, 2010
Allright. It's realistic, in comparison to other movies like this one, but that makes it a little less fun to watch.
August 10, 2010
Tattoos, rock, ├ža aurait pu ├¬tre top, mais ├ža manque de mecs ! Malgr├ę le beau Marc Blucas, qui ne pose pas assez son tee-shirt ├á mon go├╗t... ;o)
½ July 25, 2010
It has a bunch of cliches that most movies about musicians have. The story was good though, but it was very evident the lack of commitment from most actors in the movie.
December 2, 2009
November 25, 2009
I wonder if Gina Gershon has ever done a movie where she's not a drugged-out bi-sexual/lesbian outcast with a bad attitude. Can you say "typecast?"
November 1, 2009
this movie was depressing as hell and dark as hell but that aside it was a very real and interesting film. I felt this was the best I've ever seen Gershon as far as acting goes same goes for Drea. Overall I felt this movie was really good and had some very powerful moments, just be prepared for it to be very depressing and hard to watch at times.
½ August 19, 2009
Decent film of a band trying to make it big time, before they become too old. Gina Gershon did a great job being a hot rocker chick. It describes the background of some of the girls being the way they are, good stuff. In the end, just have fun with your band, because sometimes your hobby becomes your life and its not all quite what its cracked up to be in a lot of ways.
April 24, 2009
OHmaGAWD...HOT ass movie
March 29, 2009
Jacki (Gina Gershon) and her girl rock and roll band, Clam Dandy consisting of Tracy (Drea de Matteo), Faith (Lori Petty) and Sally (Shelly Cole) are trying to make it in the LA club scenes. After ten years of being ignored by record producers, Jacki and her band find hope in one producer who finally promises them a record contract.
But, Jacki is on the verge of having it. She is tired of the struggle after her rock n roll dream, and if she does not find success now, she will end the Clam Dandy. Suddenly personal tragedies hits the band and they must find its strength in the music that is their passion and the thread that holds them together, inspiring them to prevail.

I reckon it is always a risk when actors are supposed to portray musicians, it can go either way. In "Prey for Rock & Roll" I personally think it works. I was not sure what to expect, but I have been a fan of Gina Gershon for some time and she usually delivers. Which I think she does as Jacki. She is this crossing between Joan Jett (whom I truly dig and she was apparently the one who have Gina guitar lessons for the role) and Kat Von D. With other words, Gina Gershon is bloody hot in this movie. : ) The other band members (de Matteo, Petty and Cole) are doing a reasonably good job, but de Matteo is the one that stands out as the sleazy, trashy and boozing Tracy. Yes, I think there are stereotyphical characterizations and thoughts on how rock n roll women behave, are and act, and the plot is well, quite simple. Still, I think "Prey for Rock & Roll" is not too shabby and cudos to Gina Gershon for doing her own vocals and really giving what she got to give life to Jacki.
½ March 22, 2009
The movie was good. Not horrible but not absolutely amazing either. Overall I liked it though...
February 26, 2009
all the song are realy good ,well acted
½ February 2, 2009
This was very entertaining..... And Chicks that rock are sexy!!!