The Pride and the Passion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pride and the Passion Reviews

March 6, 2015
It's like a three-legged horse: it'll never win anything, but it's still got charm.
December 23, 2014
Sinatra is nearly passable as a Spaniard, Grant is uninspired as a British officer (though they both have some nice action sequences). It's young Loren that is really worth watching as she deals with their egos & emotions.
November 12, 2013
brilliant film could watch this film over and over again.
October 11, 2013
If you can believe in Sinatra as an 1810 vintage Spanish guerrilla, you can believe anything, but it's still a slog through a platitudinous script.
½ March 11, 2013
Frank Sinatra and Cary Grant together at last and what do they have between them? Sophie Loren and the biggest damn cannon in the world. If you thought the original Django had a lot to drag, the huge cannon that our heroes transport by blood, sweat, and tears across inhospitable terrain is ten times the size. This is a good movie.
March 23, 2012
Unique film, mostly for the fact that it severely under-uses it's all-star cast.
March 5, 2012
Bloated, miscast, and generally awful.
February 9, 2012
June 11, 2011
Not just bad, but a catastophe of epic proportions. First off, casting Frank Sinatra as Spanish rebel leader, Miguel, is both racist and insulting. His attempts at an accent just come off as a drunk Hoboken native mocking Spain. Next Italian Sophia Loren as Miguel's girlfriend who is inexplicably attracted to the inappropriately older British officer (Cary Grant) seems to have been cast to flit back and forth from man to man, making out with whichever one has been nice to her in that scene. Finally the whole premise of pushing a huge phallic cannon across the countryside to 'save the day' isn't exactly riveting entertainment. I detest movies where the American or Brit teaches the cultural other how to be a real man and this fits that mold to a tee.
½ June 6, 2011
Direct from the What Were They Thinking files comes this bloated pageant of staggeringly foolish proportions. All about getting a cannon through battles and assorted other nonsensical issues this overripe piece of twaddle has a few things in its favor, nice scenery and beautiful color photography. They are outweighed however by the inert direction of the usually competent Kramer and even more by the complete miscasting of the principle actors. Sophia is gorgeous and was just starting in American films so her being shoved into whatever was available at the moment no matter how unsuitable can at least explain her presence here. Cary Grant who would seem a natural in period films actually looks rather absurd and is stiff as a board, he apparently felt the same way and after this often referred to this film with mocking scorn. He and Sophia, who became involved during the making of this stinker, would be much more properly and happily paired the next year in Houseboat a delightful comedy which is the place to see them together, not here. Worst of all is Frank Sinatra preposterously cast as a Spanish freedom fighter with both an atrocious accent and wig. He is simply dreadful. Worth watching only to see how an A level film with major stars and a respected director can go wrong in pretty much every aspect.
½ January 22, 2011
great allstar cast...but only a midweight movie
November 17, 2010
This movie has great actors, but disappoints story wise. It's really very boring and I hated the ending. I only saw it for the stars, and that seems to be the only good thing in it.
March 2, 2010
An interesting spectacle: Renowned Stanley Kramer directs a war movie in which Cary Grant is grossly miscast, Sophie Loren is much less nubile than usual, and Frank Sinatra rivals even Burt Lancaster for the worst hair in cinematic history.
August 8, 2009
Passable historical epic is helped by some excellent action sequences and a final battle that employs a cast of thousands. The cast is fine. It probably helped their performances that Cary Grant and Sophia Loren were in a passionate affair during the production. Their romantic scenes have a definite credibility. And you got that 42 foot cannon serving as a giant phallic symbol. Sinatra does not embarrass himself as a Spanish freedom fighter.
½ July 22, 2009
I love Cary. I love, love, love him. But this movie just stinks. And he knew it too. But it's great to see him and Sophia together knowing about their off screen romance.
March 9, 2009
Overall a good movie but I felt that Sinitra was in over his head in this role
January 23, 2009
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
January 5, 2009
This is the first time I have seen a Cary Grant movie that I really thought stunk. This was a real stinker!
½ October 7, 2008
Frank Sinatra. Cary Grant. Sophia Loren. Should be cinematic gold, yes? Sadly no, it's terribly middling.
August 23, 2008