The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Jean!

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Jean!

• Nov 12, 2018

I really enjoyed watching this.

I really enjoyed watching this.

• Apr 22, 2018

Sometimes this one veers into Dullsville, but when it takes off, it's explosively delicious, especially in Maggie's portrayal of its very imperfect title character.

• Feb 05, 2018

Maggie Smith in her Prime

Maggie Smith in her Prime

• Jan 01, 2016

I found this 1969 movie rather shocking... how unexpected. Maggie Smith is just a force.

• Apr 17, 2015

Good movie with a wonderful performance from Maggie Smith, Robert Stephens, and Pamela Franklin

• Mar 05, 2015

Just watched this for the first time and I don't understand why this movie was considered amazing. Maggie Smith is wonderful but she always is. I could find nothing likeable about this film. I disliked the story and the characters. Perhaps it is because I expected it to be an inspirational teacher story. On that basis alone this film is a failure. Miss Brodie isn't an inspirational teacher she is the opposite of one. This movie is just a story about backstabbing, competitive women who invest all their energy competing and trying to one up each other over men. Perhaps when it was originally released it was better but it has not held up.

• Sep 02, 2014

Great characters and great acting. Maggie <3

Great characters and great acting. Maggie <3

• Apr 29, 2014

Directed by Ronald Neame (Tunes of Glory (1960), Gambit (1966) and The Poseidon Adventure (1972)) and adapted from Muriel Spark's 1961 novel, which was adapted into a play by Jay Presson Allen in 1966. It wasn't long before Hollywood came calling. It manages to be a powerful film, and it was quite daring for it's day, and it did cause trouble with our censors, but it has some brilliant performances. In Edinburgh in the 1930's at Marcia Blaine School for Girls, Jean Brodie (Maggie Smith) is an idealistic teacher who tends to stray away from the school's curriculum, much to the ire of headmistress Miss Mackay (Celia Johnson). Jean romanticises political dictators like Benito Mussolini and Francisco Franco as heroes. 4 of her students are heavily influenced by her teaching, including Sandy (Pamela Franklin), Monica (Shirley Steedman), Jenny (Diane Grayson) and Mary (Jane Carr). However, Jean still has feelings for her ex-lover, Teddy Lloyd (Robert Stephens), who is art teacher at the school. Then her teachings begin to have a negative effect. It's a powerful and moving film showing that teachers can be the most important people in our early lives, and in some instances, the most dangerous. Smith is brilliant and rightfully won an Oscar for her turn, she's not a bad person, but just ill-informed. Neame gets the best from the cast, and it's got brilliant cinemtography by Ted Moore

John B Super Reviewer
    Feb 10, 2014

Interesting how Maggie Smith got into the older roles at such a young age. She gives a wonderful and memorable performance every time out though.