Prime Suspect 6: The Last Witness Reviews

• May 13, 2019

Prime Suspect was, as I remember it, much hallowed by critics. Indot see why. After watching five episodes, all is rather predictable - police stupidities rather than police procedurals, I would say... DSI Jane Tennisson messes up every time: she grinds her teeth into one suspect and neglects other clues, while her team members do want to proceed those, and are then dissuaded and bullied by her. Furthermore,while chasing the villain, Jane consistently neglects to protect the main witness, who is then predictably murdered with the cops arruving always just too late. I find this rather unbelievable, that in real life the police would not protect an obvious witness, whose details are obviously out on the street. Too little, too late. The very preventable murder of a young boy in ep. 5 and now of the likeable Jasmina in ep. 6 were also quite painfull to me. Add to that.the uneven spacing of the stories, the fact that Helen Mirren is playing much better in most other stories than this one... and the only reason I keep watching is actually for the interesting characters around her - including villains - and perhaps hoping against my good judgement that one time Jane will act the right way at the right time. But I fear that ep. 7 will be not just the final story but also the funal disappointment..

• familiar s Super Reviewer
    Nov 01, 2012

Won't be checking out any other Prime Suspect for a while, thanks to The Last Witness.

• Sep 23, 2012

Just a personal opinion, but for me the story is too painful to be able to to call what I experienced 'enjoyable'. It made me hurt inside.

• Aug 12, 2012

• Dec 06, 2011

Nearing the end of her career, will Jane Tennison remain a detective looking for true justice, or another drunk waiting for a pension? Either way, she's a flawed, human person - not just a woman in a man's world anymore.

• Mar 19, 2011

This was pretty good. The British police actually do have guns.

This was pretty good. The British police actually do have guns.