Prince Reviews

• Apr 09, 2019

An hour of my life that I can't get back.

An hour of my life that I can't get back.

• Apr 09, 2019

Sam de Jong's film tells the story of a Dutch-Moroccan teen trying to find his way to some level of power in a life that seems to be veering so far out of his control he is slipping into despair. He strikes some gold thanks to a solid cast, most especially Ayoub Elasri in the title role. The film is overly-stylized and not in a good way. Pretty to look at, but it gets in the way of the a story that seems to be set in the reality of lower-class Amsterdam. The film deals with poor parenting, drug addiction, bullying, peer pressure and the criminal underground. The entire film is presented in shiny color as if any minute it is going to morph into a mix of "Napoleon Dynamite" merged with "United Colors of Benetton" -- all with 80's synth music. In fact, the tidy ending seems like a clip from some Euro-Fashion Advert. Despite some strong performances and several powerful scenes, the film offers some entertainment but is ultimately limp.

• Mar 29, 2016

The film is actually a lot less uptight, perhaps even a bit of comedy noir, than its trailer shows. Though, still not a really nice piece.

• Jan 30, 2016

This indie film had some hilarious moments. Also I love to watch a film that is different from the standard american film. This film is light hearted and dark at the same time def worth watching.