The Prince and the Showgirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prince and the Showgirl Reviews

January 30, 2013
Drag of a movie but I love Marilyn. The dress is way too sexy!
January 26, 2013
It is interesting that the film this inspired, My Week With Marilyn, is a superior piece of work. Prince and the Showgirl isn't a disaster, however it is far from spetacular. Monroe is likeable, as she often is but the character of the Grand Duke is too cold to really be engaging and as their romance falls flat as a result. This is a decent romantic comedy but it's no classic.
½ January 16, 2013
A comedy of manners that isn't funny. There is no chemistry between Olivier and Monroe and the script is woeful.
January 7, 2013
This is my first Marilyn Monroe film I have ever seen. She is just as I expected. She is so delightful and giddy. She is such a joy and she is so incredibly beautiful.
I wanted to see this movie because since I am a Marilyn fan, I wanted to actually see a Marilyn film other than My Week with Marilyn which takes place while filming The Prince and the Showgirl.
I'm sure it was just this film, but it was a little boring and slow at some points. But the rest I enjoyed.
I can't wait to watch more Marilyn films.
The Prince and the Showgirl, I give you an 80%.
½ December 20, 2012
Though there's a total lack of chemistry, I believe knowing the drama of what happened behind the scenes of trying to get this film made gives a greater appreciation to the film itself.
December 2, 2012
I was reminded why Marilyn Monroe annoys me. She has that squeaky voice and I think she was considered great just because she had a hot body. The story is also rather dull and the actors have no chemistry.
½ November 10, 2012
It was Sir Laurence Olivier's ticket to Hollywood and an opportunity for Marilyn Monroe to be taken seriously once and for all. Alas! it is neither for both. It is too stagey and the dialogue, too rambling. The troubled production did however transpire a revealing book about Marilyn Monroe, written by its third assistant director. If given the book (or its adaptation MY WEEK WITH MARILYN) is true, I say Marilyn Monroe is an acting legend, playing off so well with her bully-on-set.
½ November 3, 2012
Didn't think much of this but enjoyed seeing Marilyn Monroe who's quite good.
October 30, 2012
It was cute. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it.
October 8, 2012
MM steals every scene she is in and LO overacts through it all. But, it's still an intersting film to watch.
September 20, 2012
Not one of my favouite Marlilyn Monroe movies at all. It really seems to really drag in certain places and the story is a little all over the place.
September 3, 2012
A dull and heavy handed show/romance/comedy, notable purely for the unlikely pairing of great thespian Olivier and glamour girl Monroe, as well as being the film the recent My Week with Marilyn was based around. Monroe has an undeniable little girl charm on screen and fabulous old fashioned curves, but really plot and character are buried under star-power, and not to the benefit of the ploddingly overlong film as a whole.
½ August 29, 2012
I was quite disappointed by how this turned out having watched 'My Week With Marilyn' before hand. Whilst It still has the magic of a Marilyn Monroe film from the golden age, I would rather watch the movie about it being made.
August 19, 2012
"The Prince and the Showgirl" has a nice cast but a bad script. This film moves so slowly that it would lose a long-distance race against a snail. It isn't a problem with the story as much as the scenes are all just 5 minutes too long. The film is only interesting if you have seen "My Week with Marilyn" and can understand everything that was going on behind the scenes during this film shoot. Other than that, the actors are the main draw for this film. Marilyn Monroe is lovely, particularly the scene where she dances in her room to the music outside, Laurence Olivier is excellent as the Grand Duke, and Sybil Thorndike's interpretation of the queen is great. For me, the only thing that made this film worthwhile was the moment in the carriage where Olivier's scowl slowly and subtlely transformed into a smile and Monroe slowly caught on to his happiness. This truly may be the best 10 seconds in cinema. But other than that... there were a lot of issues on the set of this film (see "My Week with Marilyn" as a reference) and it shows through the lack of pacing in this film. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are a movie buff who is making their way through the greatest moments in cinema, in which case you must see that moment in the carriage. Otherwise, skip to "Some Like It Hot" for your Monroe fix.
August 14, 2012
A little hard to believe that Monroe's character would fall in love so fast with Olivier's high-strung and sometimes creepy prince in just a couple of hours. But, Monroe is such a delight that you watch until the end, though the film runs a little long for its story.

Grade: B-
½ August 4, 2012
Neither Monroe or Olivier's best work, but fascinating to watch and quite well made.
July 8, 2012
Who else came here because of my week with Marilyn?
July 1, 2012
A little disappointed but I will sit through anything with Marilyn in it. The movie was a little slow and not very interesting but it's a little piece of history either way.
½ June 15, 2012
Flat comedy with Olivier doing a silly accent. Monroe impresses.
May 7, 2012
The setting is in 1911 and the coronation of King George V. Sir Laurence Olivier plays the Prince from a mythical Balkan country opposite Marilyn Munro as the showgirl who at one level seems to be just a dizzy blonde, but on another level speaks excellent German and quickly grasps the various intrigues.While it did not do all that well at the time, I really enjoyed the light but fascinating story, the settings, and the sound track (including organ music at the coronation). I watched this because I had just seen "My Week with Marilyn", so became more interested in the film that was being made back then in 1957.