The Prince of Egypt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prince of Egypt Reviews

February 24, 2016
This is by far one of Dreamworks' best animated films. The animation, the voice acting, the music, and the way they told the story of Moses is all fantastic. It's not Ten Commandments but it's not supposed to be. In this one, they focus a lot on the characters relationships with each other, especially with Moses and Rameses. The atmosphere in this film is huge and the music matches this film perfectly! It makes everything feel more epic. The songs show what the characters are feeling while also moving the story along. It's an overall great animated movie.
February 24, 2016
Brilliant music, great plot and animations.
February 21, 2016
I remember when I was young and first saw this movie. It scared me because obviously I didn't understand it. But Now that I've seen many times to today. It just takes my breath away. The Prince of Egypt is one the most beautifully animated films that I have ever seen in all my life, It tells the story of Moses who is destined to free his people from egyptian slavery. The story may not be completely true to the Bibal's story, but with all it's beautiful animation and incredible voice acting from amazing actors like Val Kilmer and Ralph Fiennes. It makes the movie a most unforgettable story that I just love too much to stop watching it. What makes me yet sad about this film is how heartbreaking two brothers special bond tears them apart as each has a different important role they must follow. Although Moses's obviously is more important in this story. " In my heart you are my brother, but things cannot be as they were". Moses tells Rameses, and he has a point. He grew up as royal prince, but discovered the truth behind his bloodline as a hebrew and chose to follow it not for selfish reasons, but because he has to be true to himself and his brother. This movie will always hold a special place in my heart, not because Egypt is my favorite place, but because such a special story such as this one deserves to be remembered. I will always love it.
February 21, 2016
An underrated DreamWorks film
February 15, 2016
Some parts of the movie where good. I did like the music to this movie but not very entertaining for me
January 20, 2016
Surprisingly good, and fairly accurate to the original story. Great voice cast and pretty great animation. You don't have to believe in the Bible or God to appreciate how good this movie is. Probably the best movie adaptation of the story of Moses. 6.5/10
January 13, 2016
This us one of my favorite animated films ever; it gives a heart breaking story with memorable characters and chilling performances. The music number help the story move along, and the animation is some of the best I've ever seen. The visuals are amazing!
I really got into the story and now remember it fondly.
½ January 1, 2016
The Prince of Egypt is simply the greatest non-Disney traditionally animated film. The voice acting, visuals, and music are all incredible, and the story flows smoothly and integrates all its elements well.
December 13, 2015
An ancient, visceral story of discovery, freedom and struggle that has an excellent voice cast and music.
½ December 12, 2015
Beautifully made, quite well written, and severely underrated.
½ December 9, 2015
The Prince of Egypt is based off the book of Exodus. Even though the general plot is the same in the real story of the book of Exodus, there are some differences. In the beginning it is apparent that Moses' real mother didn't raise Moses, however the Pharaoh's daughter raises him. This differs from the story in the book of Exodus because in the bible it is the Pharaoh's wife who raises him. In the bible, Ramses tries to kill moses after he kills the egyptians but in the movie all he does is attempt to stop him from leaving Egypt.
I personally really liked this movie despite the minor differences from the original book of Exodus. The graphics and visual representation adds a very enjoyable and easy to understand aspect to the biblical story. I would rate this movie a 4.5/5 stars and would highly recommend it as a must watch movie.
½ December 9, 2015
The Prince of Egypt was an interpretation of the book of Exodus. There are some minor differences between the actual book of Exodus and the movie. In the movie, the pharaoh's wife find Moses floating in a basket in the river. However in the book of Exodus, Moses is found by a princess in Egypt. Another difference was that the future pharaoh in the film was Moses's older brother ramesees.
The director puts a huge emphasis on the fact the Moses believes that he is Egyptian until he sees his sister and brother working as slaves and they try to convince him that he is Hebrew. Only then, Moses starts to feel empathy for the slaves that were being tortured and runs away. During this time, he becomes a shepherd and receives a message from God through a burning bush. Moses returns to Egypt and asks his brother or the pharaoh to release his people. This part of the movie emphasises on their sibling relationship. Ramesees was mad at Moses for trying to make him free all the slaves. When Ramesees says no to Moses's request, God unleashes the ten plagues upon Egypt. The movie continues as Moses leads the Hebrews out of Egypt and after Moses leads the people across the Red Sea, the movie ends on Ramesees screaming Moses.
I would rate this movie 3.5 out 5 stars because although, it was almost the same thing as the book of Exodus, you don't really learn much from the movie and I think the movie is great for entertainment. I would recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good entertainment movie. However, if you are looking for a movie that will educate you on the book of Exodus, this wouldn't be the best book if you already know the basic storyline.
½ December 7, 2015
The Prince of Egypt directed by Simon Wells, Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner, and produced by DreamWorks Pictures is an engaging animated film adaptation of the Book of Exodus from the First Testament of the Bible. It provides an accurate portrayal of the story of Moses leading his people to freedom from Egypt, mixed with original songs and compositions that help compliment the theme of the film.
While the length of the film may be too long to hold a child's attention, it's still a thrilling, beautiful piece of work. It chooses to focus on Moses's family relationships, and how he is torn between the life he always knew as an Egyptian prince and his true roots as an Israelite. The film also adds in the familiar sibling rivalry theme between Moses and his Egyptian brother, Rameses II, allowing the audience to find a sense of reliability in it, and to form an connection to the characters. The music was stunning and beautiful to listen to, and the added Hebrew lyrics in certain songs create a sense of authenticity in the film. While there was a certain song during Moses's return to Egypt that I felt was not necessary, and almost forced into the film, DreamWorks still managed to put together an amazing musical film adaptation of the Exodus story. The directors also chose to have a named pharaoh, in contrast to the Bible where the pharaoh is unknown, and to have said pharaoh have a direct connection to Moses in order to create a more dramatic setting when Moses realises the full extent of what the Egyptians have done to his people. The film also chose to have Moses in the dark when it comes to his true identity unlike the Bible, which also added to the drama in the revelation.
The film keeps some quotes from the actual Exodus chapter, including "I AM WHO I AM" (Exodus 3:14) and "Let my people go" (Exodus 5:1), along with "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I?" (Exodus 4:11), but left out the second half of the Exodus, after Moses and his people flee Egypt, choosing to end the film directly after Moses receives the 10 Commandments. While much of the important historical context is within the second half, it did make sense for the directors to omit it as it is most likely not suitable for children and difficult to condense.
The film took a careful approach when it came to creating a portrayal of God. Instead of giving him a powerful, booming voice like most people might imagine, his voice came out as a soft whisper that radiated power and authority. This is just one example of how DreamWorks attempted to give a careful, accurate story while trying not to offend anybody. It made the Hebrew people much more hopeful and faithful than they were in the actual Bible in order to make it more suitable for children. The film also decided to have Moses speak for himself instead of his Hebrew brother Aaron in the Bible, giving more focus on Moses's transformation into the leader he was born to be.
Overall The Prince of Egypt is an excellent, accurate, easy to understand film telling the story of Moses, incorporating messages such as having faith in the future and looking at your life 'through heaven's eyes,' as nobody can measure someone's worth. The way DreamWorks chose to create these messages, through engaging songs, is a clever way to help the child audience fully understand them. The Prince of Egypt in general is a careful, detailed film and a clever way to help children understand the general concept of the Exodus story.
½ November 22, 2015
This movie has a great potential but firstly, it didn't interested and didn't touch me, and secondly-it's one of the most boring and long-drawn animated movies that I've ever seen.
½ November 7, 2015
This animated version of the biblical story of Moses was animated with passion. The story was much more believable compared to the classic Moses movie, The Ten Commandments. It has a solid character focus, which I truly admire. There were scenes when I found myself in awe of how atmospheric they were. The computer-generated scenes with 360 shots were done very well. It's amazing how they were able to pull that tricky shot off. This is one of those under-rated movies that had left a great impression.
October 30, 2015
Awesome Soundtrack Brings This Well-Known Religious Tale To Life. I Appreciate Films That Can Do This, Work Alongside The Score & Build A Story With Great Music; Rather Than Use It As An Excuse For An Emotion Drawcard. Very Watchable Time & Time Again. It Has Some Religious Undertones, But That Is True To The Historical Fact Of The Story.
½ September 14, 2015
Esta pelicula es muy buena. La animacion es muy buena, la musica esta muy bien hecha, ya que en cada escena la musica es perfecta. Tambien hay canciones ya que, obvio, es un musical.
Las canciones son muy buenas. No aburren, son bastante epicas de hecho. Las canciones las recomiendo en ingles. Es mas epico. Es super entretenida. La recomiendo.
½ August 14, 2015
Pretty epic for an animation
August 11, 2015
"There can be miracles, you can achieved."

Prince of Egypt is, whether you're a believer or not, visually captured and fueled by an excellence voice cast to bring the old biblical story of Moses to life! Job well done!
August 10, 2015