The Prince of Egypt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prince of Egypt Reviews

June 14, 2016
I may not be religious but I still enjoyed this movie for its beautiful animation and it's great reinterpretation of the Bible story
May 24, 2016
Even though I may not be an Uber-Christian, this film is so well crafted and well handled that I just love it to death.
featuring some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen in a move and surprising heavy and heartfelt music, Dreamworks's The Prince of Egypt is a surprisingly Non-Dreamworks animation feature, featuring mature themes, complex characters which is something that the very meta film company doesn't handle very often.
May 17, 2016
Powerful Retelling of the exodus story and the story of Moses!
May 14, 2016
I adore everything about this film with every fiber of my being.
April 19, 2016
Amazing piece of animation. Daring and provocative, which would really have shifted the industry of animation. Too bad DreamWorks never really followed up, but still a critical masterpiece.
April 18, 2016
Love this movie.
Excellent and wildly emotionally moving story, beautiful soundtrack, and absolutely stunning visuals.
This is easily one of the greatest animation-features of all time.
½ April 18, 2016
An early project for DreamWorks Studios, and in many places it really shows. The pacing is far too leisurely, the songs pop up sporadically, aren't all that memorable, and most of the time they aren't physically sung by the characters, and the whole thing is somewhat anticlimactic. It lacks the epic conflict the story promises, and during the action scenes the awkwardness and inconsistency of the animation is highly noticeable. One of the greatest stories ever told really isn't done justice in this particular adaptation. However, I feel that it does have 3 things going for it. The first is the visuals, many of which are simply stunning, particularly the backgrounds and landscapes, all of which are massive and intricately detailed. The second is the musical score, which is beautifully orchestrated, and adds real emotional weight to some of the pivotal segments. But the absolute best is the scene featuring the Burning Bush. This is one of the finest, most powerful scenes I've ever witnessed in an animated film. The combination of beautiful visuals and evocative music create a brief but utterly memorable moment that the film never exceeds or even rivals. There's a few other positives, but none of them are significant enough to save the film. It's too slow for children hoping for action, and too shallow for adults hoping for depth.
April 4, 2016
Amazing film with wonderful themes, visuals, music, and characters.
March 29, 2016
Visually stunning and emotionally powerful, The Prince of Egypt is a stellar animated film that never takes it's audience for granted - and appeals to both the religious and non-religious alike thanks to a magnificent score, brilliant performances and a strong sense of atmosphere.
March 23, 2016
I remember seeing this movie in the theaters as a kid, and seeing it again its still amazing.
½ March 23, 2016
An animated masterpiece that could easily rival even the most classic biblical epics, like "The Ten Commandments."
March 22, 2016
A benchmark in 1998 but kind of forgotten today, this was Dreamworks' first animated film and it is an underrated animated gem. The animation itself is wonderful, the voice acting is top-notch and the music is often stunning & epic. More importantly, it works on an emotionally satisfying level especially on the aspect of Moses and Ramses as brothers. It might get serious for an animated movie but it is telling one of the greatest stories in human history and it tells it very well if not perfectly.
March 16, 2016
I consider this to be a very emotional film, au contraire to the RT opinion of the film. Unlike other biblical epics, this one focuses most on The people, their relationships, hopes, fears and reactions to what is occurring to you. The relationship between Moses and his brother Ramses II is at the forefront, and the inner turmoil of turning against his brother is what sets this MOses apart from so many other bland portrayals.
February 29, 2016
Great movie how could anyone not give it a five?!
February 24, 2016
This is by far one of Dreamworks' best animated films. The animation, the voice acting, the music, and the way they told the story of Moses is all fantastic. It's not Ten Commandments but it's not supposed to be. In this one, they focus a lot on the characters relationships with each other, especially with Moses and Rameses. The atmosphere in this film is huge and the music matches this film perfectly! It makes everything feel more epic. The songs show what the characters are feeling while also moving the story along. It's an overall great animated movie.
February 24, 2016
Brilliant music, great plot and animations.
February 21, 2016
I remember when I was young and first saw this movie. It scared me because obviously I didn't understand it. But Now that I've seen many times to today. It just takes my breath away. The Prince of Egypt is one the most beautifully animated films that I have ever seen in all my life, It tells the story of Moses who is destined to free his people from egyptian slavery. The story may not be completely true to the Bibal's story, but with all it's beautiful animation and incredible voice acting from amazing actors like Val Kilmer and Ralph Fiennes. It makes the movie a most unforgettable story that I just love too much to stop watching it. What makes me yet sad about this film is how heartbreaking two brothers special bond tears them apart as each has a different important role they must follow. Although Moses's obviously is more important in this story. " In my heart you are my brother, but things cannot be as they were". Moses tells Rameses, and he has a point. He grew up as royal prince, but discovered the truth behind his bloodline as a hebrew and chose to follow it not for selfish reasons, but because he has to be true to himself and his brother. This movie will always hold a special place in my heart, not because Egypt is my favorite place, but because such a special story such as this one deserves to be remembered. I will always love it.
February 21, 2016
An underrated DreamWorks film
February 15, 2016
Some parts of the movie where good. I did like the music to this movie but not very entertaining for me