Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Reviews

January 13, 2017
Sadly it seems that whenever Sir Ben Kingsley pops up in a movie, he's playing a pantomime baddie and the movie itself is a turkey. Add to this that this is a movie based on a video game and I guess the writing was on the wall for the Prince of Persia. It looks good and glossy. There's plenty of action but the plot is thin and in places confused while the characters are poorly fleshed out. What we have is a flashy, gimmicky bit of nonsense that, though entertaining in parts, is actually as dry as the Arabian sands.
½ January 7, 2017
Film tie-in to the rather good games of the same series (which are, incidentally, the fifth iteration of the Prince of Persia games), starring a buffed-up Jake Gyllenhaal and a perma-tanned Gemma Arterton who looks like she has just been Tango'd.

While 2003's "Sands of Time" re-launched the game franchise, with 3 successive sequels ("Warrior Within", "The Two Thrones" and most recently, "The Forgotten Sands"), I'm not so sure the film adaptation will have the same impact. It's pretty obvious right from the outset who the main villain of the piece is/will become, and it also provides an Alladin-alike back-story to the Prince (that I don't recall ever being in the games) while doing away with the sand demons that populated those games.

In short: I'm glad I've seen it, but won't be rushing back for seconds.
January 5, 2017
This movie is far from good, it has a lot of problems, like the predictable story-line, half empty characters, weak dialogues, but it still hits home with me. The setting is beautiful, the lead actors do a great job, the pace is just right for me. Despite it's obvious flaws, it was a great watch.
½ January 1, 2017
Great cast. But didn't really understand the film, or the ending.
December 31, 2016
You can easily watch this movie and have drinking games with it.
December 30, 2016
Not a good movie to watch
½ November 27, 2016
11/26/2016: Just an ok movie. Nothing great or memorable enough to want to watch again.
November 26, 2016
Prince of Persia is one of Jake Gyllenhall's best movie ever! I absolutely love this movie!
November 23, 2016
first of all its not like the game it does have the elements but the story is just a little different i absolutely loved every second this movie had to offer and the cast was great i liked the guy that kept on complaining about taxes anf government conspiracy's
½ November 16, 2016
As a video game movie Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is actually one of the better ones even though it might not be the greatest movie of all time.
November 14, 2016
Para mi la pelicula era aceptable considerando que hubo peores peliculas basadas en videojuegos
October 16, 2016
I can see why this site is called rottentomatoes . The comment section is full of them.. You can safely ignore all the over critical people who think they are Ebert. The movie is at least a solid 7/10 for the average viewer. Plenty of action, a good story, emotional ups and downs, and a satisfying ending. If the game is anything like the movie, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
½ September 22, 2016
How did I even imagine it possible to watch this movie over again a second time?
September 5, 2016
Really bad action film
½ September 4, 2016
With a lot of clichés, a silly sense of humor and empty, ridiculous characters, this harmless swashbuckler is predictable from the first scene to the last and doesn't even realize that the warn-out love/hate relationship between the main couple gets irritating really really fast.
September 1, 2016
Great story. Actors were good. Great action scenes. Very good for a video game adaption.
August 21, 2016
I'm not sure what to expect about this upcomming blockbuster video-game adapted film but we'll see...
½ August 12, 2016
With CGI hit or miss, acting hit or miss, and a mess of an ending, Prince of Persia still manages to entertain you just enough to be the best video game movie.
½ August 5, 2016
Not bad I actually liked most of this and thought it would be very interesting to see where they were gonna go with this.
jamrcla
½ July 28, 2016
Having never played the game I didn't know much about the film, But the games were big hits and popular enough to make a live action movie so I eventually gave it a watch and was very surprised, The story is very loyal to the games, Some nice action scenes and good effects, I didn't like the choice of actors but they did ok, As far as game to movies go it's probably one of the better ones, Even if it won't stand the test of time (No pun intended) I think maybe it could of been better if it wasn't made by Disney as they like to tone films down so much that if you're over the age of 11 it's not as enjoyable, But it could of been much worse so I can't complain too much, A good family film that is easy to watch even if you haven't played any of the games.