The Princess Blade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Blade Reviews

April 10, 2015
Watched a number of times. Liked the action, kind of put all Jackie Chans' movies to shame.
½ July 9, 2014
The Princess Blade (2003)

I had an opportunity to see this film at a Portland (Oregon) Film Center special event. Unfortunately they were having technical difficulties with the Dolby audio and we were given tickets for a showing later that weekend.

The early parts of the movie that I saw were very impressive. The action sequences (by noted Kung Fu movie choreographer, Donnie Yen) were good enough to make me rent "Iron Monkey" before going home that night. The movie, "Shurayuki-Hime" or "Princess Blade" (yes, it's a remake) is set some time in the near post apocalyptic future. I loved the flaming begining titles.

The emperor has stepped down and the Japanese society has closed itself off from the world. Pandemonium reigns supreme. Yumiko Shaku plays a young sword wielding assassin named Yuki, a modern day Ronin; killing for whoever pays for it. After killing off an escaping member of her gang she meets up with an old man from her past that tells her that her boss had actually killed her mother. She is the last of her Takemikazuchi clan and should leave.

Yuki goes back and confronts the boss, confirming that he had killed her mother, fights, and runs away herself when she finds out that what the old man told her was true. In her escape, Yuki hops onto the back of a moving truck driven by a young man who has secrets of his own. He's some kind of hacker living inside of a gas station out in the country with his sister. Soon Yuki and the young man grow closer. They even contemplate running away together, but both of their pasts come back to haunt them.

This was a well made movie. The first half was very stylized, but the second half of the movie began to get muddled. I know that I may be ethnocentric and am used to American-made movies, or at least the older Samurai movies of 60s. After the second half of "Princess Blade", I wasn't sure what it wanted to be. Did it want to be a sensitive, romantic "chick flick", an action picture, a Samurai revenge picture, or science fiction movie? They were all over the genre map.

Again, I'm probably just culturally conditioned wrong for this movie. Perhaps they simply ran out of money before filming the end of the picture. I liked it enough to recommend it generally. It's very enjoyable with some great action sequences. Somehow, I think that they could have done better had they kept up the momentum.
½ March 16, 2013
great but could do with some work
½ February 25, 2013
Freaking sweet movie.
September 20, 2012
iam aya i wrote on my books ,,,my name is princess blade aya but i didnot know what does it mean ??when i came to search about it ?/ i saw princess blade just amovie...........
½ June 10, 2012
It's an action packed movie with great acrobatic swordplay from beginning to end.
July 27, 2011
A cliched revenge story but enjoyable none the less. Pretty decent fight scenes and a good soundrack to boot. Enjoyable enough but not one I would strongly recommend. If you need to watch Japanese girls swinging swords watch 'Azumi' instead of this, after that watch 'Azumi 2' and if you're still not satisfied 'The Princess Blade' may help.
½ June 26, 2011
Princess Blade is a no holds barred thrilling action packed movie that spares no expense on special effects. Directed by Shinsuke Sato this is a thrilling look at a young girls struggle to escape the same fate as her mother. It follows Yuki Takemikazuchi, the princess of the Takemikazuchi clan as she discovers the true cause of her mother's death and her fight to escape her blood splattered past as an assassin. The movie doesn't really concentrate on the revenge theme too much, as much as it contrasts the morality of a rebel killing for a cause, and that of an assassin killing for profit. The major plus this movie has going for it is the very impressive swordplay, which does provide the bulk of the excitement, but this doesn't last throughout the movie as the middle becomes rather stale and uninteresting but just as your mind begins to wander someone will arrive on cue for a fight.

Overall this movie won't make you think too hard, but the characters are somewhat endearing, if not a little unexplored, and it definitely doesn't fall into typical martial arts movie category.
½ March 1, 2011
I don't know what makes me more angry, that the Japanese film industry keeps recycling the same dozen or so clichà (C)s, or that I keep watching, hoping things will change. As I've said with nearly every Japanese film made in the last twenty years, you've seen all of this before, usually in better films. There is literally nothing new, from the plot to the characters to style. Even the action scenes feel familiar. And it's not like I'm completely against clichà (C) and convention. They can be very useful tools in the hands of good writers. Oh, yeah. Canned music. Do they have some computer buried somewhere deep inside the islands that produces the most boring, repetitive music ever devised by man? I'm starting to think so. If I'd never ever seen another Japanese film from the last twenty plus years, this one might get a higher rating because I wouldn't know how uninspired it is. But I have.
WrenchLT
February 12, 2011
Japanese slash-'em-up based on comic book material. Disappointingly lacking in action during the middle parts where it gets a little slow, but when the action gets going it's pretty cool and stylishly choreographed, all masterminded by action star Donnie Yen. Would have been nice to have a little more fight sequences and blood spurting to go with it too. Overall nothing memorable here unfortunately, but it's not a bad film.
January 5, 2011
An ordinary Japanese ninja movie with a simple story, but with lots of magnificent stunts to combine. Some characters weren't really needed in this story and at times the film is slow. However the cool fights scenes were a highlight for the film.
December 30, 2010
i was bored to death. ended up skipping through the film to the fairly amusing fight scenes - so one star for that. and for the great sets they found/made!
but you cannot tell a film like reading a story! less dialogue and more acting please. supposing you have actors who can act of course!
October 28, 2010
The few times there is action, it's enjoyable. The majority is just a telenovela.
½ October 25, 2010
Dull story, poor pacing and uninspired action scenes
garyX
September 7, 2010
The heiress to the leadership of a clan of wandering assassins finds out that they were responsible for the death of her mother and cliches ensue. Based on a comic book, The Princess Blade is yet another in a long line of modern day samurai movies involving a bunch of MTV style sword waving, slow motion high kicks and pirouetting stuntmen, punctuated by deathly dull melodrama as two hard asses "learn to love". The fight scenes are adequately handled and the pretty cast nice to look at, but the hackneyed plot consisting of a constant trickle of dreary dialogue spouted by one dimensional characters means it's extremely difficult to give a crap what happens to any of them. Safe to say that the girl gets her revenge, the villain gets a good stabbing in the end and I wish I'd spent the previous hour and a half watching Azumi instead. Yawn.
July 30, 2010
A cut above the competition.
June 21, 2010
A great Mixture of High Skilled Martial Arts and sensitive Drama
February 6, 2010
There's one cool scene in the beginning of the movie and another one later on, and the story is pretty interesting, but for the most part the movie over all didn't seem to keep my interest. I was getting restless throughout the middle of the movie.
December 17, 2009
O my dear Lord...
A complete waste of time in my opinion.
It's not even spectacular.The drama is a typical Japanese one , completely out of it's place this time .I can't help but think that the director enjoys making fun of Japanese principles.
½ November 24, 2009
It's pretty beautiful and pretty cool at the same time. All you can want from this genre.