The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 2 of 1910
October 27, 2015
Rob Reiner's beloved fairy tale, "The Princess Bride" is not without it's faults (plot holes and such), but it's inconceivably charming and unforgettably dreamy. It's timeless.
February 15, 2008
Not a bad kids film, although there's definitely some darker/scary moments, particularly the "large rodent" in the fire swamp! Classic tale of a commoner, Westley (Elwes) rescuing the princess, Buttercup (Wright), with lots of lighthearted humour thrown in. Not amazing, but I guess if I'd seen it as a kid, I would've enjoyed it more.
½ January 17, 2016
Similar to Monty Python and "Labyrinth," "The Princess Bride" is enchanting and fun.
March 24, 2016
One of the funniest movies I have ever seen, the princess bride is able to combine comedy and epic drama absolutely flawlessly and it is a must-see film.
March 22, 2016
Its a classic for a reason. With witty dialogue and sharp delivery, The Princess Bride is nothing but fun.
½ March 22, 2016
Funny and fast paced, but not perfect.
March 12, 2016
I absolutely loved this movie!
March 12, 2016
It has fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... How can you not rate it a perfect 10?
½ March 4, 2016
Sporadically amusing if somewhat over-rated comic fantasy.
March 3, 2016
Absolutely love this film, have watched it over and over again over the years, and even introduced it to younger people who have also loved it. It has everything!
February 24, 2016
One of the few 80's movies that is still good today. A healthy mix of comedy, drama, romance, and action there is something for everyone in this movie. Robin Wright's character seemed pretty dead the whole time but that was the only flaw in the whole movie. Even the supporting characters are funny and very quotable. A must watch for the whole family.
November 22, 2015
A very fun and well made comedy/action movie with so many different elements from so many different genres of movies that you will find something new every time you watch it
February 20, 2016
I think this is a fairytale movie that was not up to my standards not a very good plot to this movie I think. I just thought it was too old-fashioned so it was not for me. But family might like it.
February 16, 2016
65%
Saw this on 16/2/15
A mostly very average and predictable take that is at times boring. The only thing that keeps it slightly different is that it tries to make a parody of the usual genre films, but then again, the end result is very predictable.
½ December 17, 2014
One of my favorite movies!
February 16, 2016
Cant believe this movie is almost 30 years old! Granted a few slow parts but overall a story that includes comedy and action for the power of love. Perfect casting. The story given from the point of view of a grand pa reading to a sick grand child and lets imagination run wild.
½ February 12, 2016
A great movie that is very original. It's hard to find a film that the storyline has you reeled in that you must keep watching to find out what happens, keeps you laughing, and characters that are easy to get along with. Everybody should watch this movie.
February 4, 2016
I knew I wouldn't get away without mentioning this classic. Seeing this film for the umpteenth time, I couldn't help but continue to marvel at all the artistic prowess given to make this film. Even the worst aspect of the film, its flat-out fake sets, enhances the sensation of a timeless fairytale. Perhaps it begins like a typical fairy tale about a peasant girl and a marriage, but soon, Rob Reiner's The Princess Bride quickly side-steps and beats its own trail with a quick twist of evil and amazing subplots. A personal favorite and acclaimed classic, Princess Bride contains many of the most quoted lines ever in the history of film along with memorably choreographed duels and rich characters.

Westley (Cary Elwes, an unknown actor who later went on to star in other popular films, a dashing farm boy, falls in love with a peasant girl, Buttercup (Robin Wright). Sadly, a misfortune takes him, leaving Buttercup broken-hearted, even when an arrogant and conceited Prince Humperdinck (Christopher Guest) discovers and chooses her as his bride. However, before the marriage, she is kidnapped by three eccentric, disproportionate pirates: Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), the leader; Fezzik (André the Giant), the clumsy, wisdom-speaking idiot; and Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin), the wisest of the three.

Then, like typical fairy tales, it poses the question that can be readily answered with a "no": is Westley actually dead? He, disguised in black, chases these three desperados to recover his lost love in a perilous hunt. During this exhausting journey to fight back for his love, we observe a good number of passionate kisses (hey, it's a romance) and hilariously scripted and well-choreographed duels (enough to make you forget of the horrific set pieces), though none are as frightening as the Forest and Westley's torture scenes as the undertakings are slightly painful and disturbing. But as we receive the assuring company of a grandfather narrating the story to us, it helps soothe the anxiety of the tale. But then again, an unexpected strong obscenity near the end is heard. However, due to its characteristic fairy tale formula, its virtues surely dwarfed the negative as it allowed the clear distinction between good and evil with the respective, evident deeds of each side shining.

Still, this already colorful film is sprinkled by colorful subplots, like Inigo's father and revenge, fitting in perfectly and even aiding the story. Maybe Vizzini's famous "inconceivable!" may have been blown up by fans into one whole subplot itself already. As one of the few films I own, I rank this among my favorites. As the narrator in the trailer truthfully states, it's "not just your basic, average, every day, ordinary, one-of-the-mill, ho-hum fairytale." Whether seeing this for the first or millionth time, with or without a loved one, The Princess Bride definitively lives up to all its "inconceivableness."
February 3, 2016
It's one of the best and most delightful story-book fantasy tales of our time. Also, being endlessly quotable is a plus.
June 28, 2013
The Princess Bride takes familiar tropes of the fantasy adventure genre and reinvigorates them, resulting in a delightful film that mixes elements of comedy, romance, and adventure rather seamlessly.
Page 2 of 1910