Princess Cyd Reviews

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Apr 28, 2019

A mediocre coming-of-age film, Princess Cyd is pretty bland. The story follows a young teenage girl who goes to visit her estranged aunt, an acclaimed novelist, and learns to appreciate her cultured lifestyle. The script isn't written very well and isn't quite sure whose journey this is; the aunt's or the niece's. And the directing is fairly mundane, doing nothing to heighten the drama or add any tension. Princess Cyd is a forgettable film that's rather boring and unremarkable.

• Nov 24, 2018

Cyd's character is so natural, so honest. A truly unique and special film spoiiled by a very annoying nd contrived portrayal of the Aunt. Magical soundtrack.

• Nov 23, 2018

This movie is wonderfully refreshing, because it defies overused tropes, and allows characters to be unique and individual! The main character is a young bisexual/pansexual woman who experiments with her sexuality and presentation, and opens herself up to new experiences. She enters into a relationship with a butch, who is played by non-binary actor Malic White. Their gender in the film is quite undefined, so you could read them as a nonbinary person or a butch woman. It's a fun, enjoyable, diverse, and cool queer film. And, brilliantly, it avoids needless violence and assault, dealing with conflict reasonably rather than with voyeuristic intentions. This film is one that feels safe for queer people to watch.

• Nov 07, 2018

I have watched the movie and i think it is a great lgbtq+ film

I have watched the movie and i think it is a great lgbtq+ film

• Sep 12, 2018

Watch this if: Sweet, thoughtful stories of romance between girls is your Friday night in. Princess Cyd doesn't fall for stereotypes. It's not a classic girl-meets-girl flick. It's a story of of family evolving from strangers to friends. Cyd spends a few weeks with her novelist aunt over the summer and they discuss everything from love and sex to her mother's death. Cyd meets Katie and what unfolds is a discovery of identity and the first feelings of love. We adore the gentle quality of this movie. The way it listens with beauty and grace.

• Aug 23, 2018

While I loved the characters and plot of the movie, what made me happiest while I was watching it was the fact that it was a happy movie about wlw - there was no huge sexuality crisis, no huge fight between the main characters, no explicit homophobia at all whatsoever (or mention that homophobia even existed in the universe of the film at all, if I remember correctly!). I actually started crying on my couch in the living room because I was so happy. And then there was the scene between Katie and her brother's friend. I felt so let down because the scene was so completely unnecessary, and it completely ruined the movie for me. Even though nothing bad 'happened', it just destroyed the possibility of this being a movie in which two women were in love and happy and safe. That scene changed almost nothing about the rest of the movie, and everything that happened because of it that might have furthered their relationship could have been just as easily accomplished without going there and ruining a perfectly good movie.

• Aug 11, 2018

the pacing is slow, but a good family relationship movie.

the pacing is slow, but a good family relationship movie.

• Jul 30, 2018

Loved it. For me this was less about a coming of age story and more about a nod to Chicago.

• Jul 12, 2018

This movie helped me figure out who I was when I was questioning. It's an awesome movie. The way it portrays her relationship with her Aunt, and how the love with her and Katie is beautiful. I would definitely recommend this movie.

• Jun 26, 2018

I can't stand cliff hangers that lead no where we need to know if that's all with cyd and katie and I think the story between cyd and Miranda should continue I need more i love this story