Princess Raccoon (Operetta tanuki goten) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Princess Raccoon (Operetta tanuki goten) Reviews

July 5, 2012
This was my first exposure to the films of Seijun Suzuki. I found it inventive, colorful, and positively baffling mishmash of elements.
April 22, 2012
Very Bizarre! The best musical I've seen for years. Seijun Suzuki put all of his experience and imagination in this film.
February 10, 2012
Very artsy, pretty cute and an enjoyable movie overall. An awesome source of inspiration for design. Consume with ice cream (just kidding, kind of).
December 5, 2011
so traditional ,loved it
½ May 15, 2011
Let's put it this way, if you want weird, you'll get weird. Rapping Japanese kings? Italian rennasaince people? Racoons trying to kill other racoons to make racoon soup? A Japanese Ronald McDonald band? What's going on? I don't know, but it's pretty!
August 28, 2010
Forbidden love blossoms between tanuki and human. Stylistic children's movie is mostly song and dance numbers performed on sparsely decorated sets.
½ January 16, 2010
Movies that are heavily packed with symbolism can be fascinating. But problems occur when a viewer isn't very well versed in the culture that produced the symbols. That's what happened with me and this movie. It's beautifully produced, and interesting in its surreal combination of theater and movie styles. But other than recognizing that lots of symbolic things were going on, I had almost no idea what the film was about beyond the most basic elements of the plot (which are fairly simple, typical fairytale concepts). If you're more up on your Japanese mythology and cultural symbolism (especially traditional theater), you'll probably get a lot more out of this movie than I did. Otherwise, you'll probably be left scratching your head, as I was.
½ September 24, 2009
This is completely crazy, but fun if that's what you're in the mood for. The Japanese seem to have a very strange view of Catholicism too.
September 24, 2009
the weirdest shit you will ever ever EVER see I can promise yoou
March 26, 2009
Interesting and artistic! Different.
March 9, 2009
gorgeous und surreal
February 9, 2009
A fun Japanese musical. Nonsensical at times, but I loved it. The translation of tanuki to raccoon annoyed me a little, though; they look similar, but they are not the same kind of animal.
January 4, 2009
Generally speaking I like Suzuki Seijun works, but this musical simply did not go with my mind. The imagination and picture are good though.
½ December 26, 2008
I might've missed something. maybe.
December 2, 2008
Highly stagey and theatrical, but that's not my problem with it. Being totally simplistic and boring is.
½ November 2, 2008
A cult, artistic film featuring Zhang Ziyi and directed by veteran director Suzuki Seijun. Full of mixture of traditional / modern Japanese music and dramatized effects.
August 26, 2008
I thought it was cool. Suzuki always brings something creative.
July 16, 2008
Magic realism on speed.
March 31, 2008
My brain!!!! Youch. Creative, Out of control fun. Musical madness. And I mean every genre of music you can stick into an "opera." Stylistic art piece.
Shot on green screen, backgrounds and movement twist and turn. Goodness..the movements. Costumes....Argh! This could go on forever...Loved it!
March 27, 2008
Cuando el cine entrega este tipo de experiencias, solo queda decir gracias y disfrutar de una de las m√?¬°s interesantes pel√?¬≠culas que he visto