Princess Tam Tam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Princess Tam Tam Reviews

October 21, 2016
A strong performance by one of the greatest entertainers of her era.
June 20, 2014
gr8 showcase vehicle for the legendary josephine baker a must see for her fans
½ July 3, 2012
1 1/2 stars to Josephine Baker for carrying a movie that openly degraded her.
July 30, 2011
French take on Shaw's Pygmalion with Josephine Bakerr as an African "savage" trained in civilized ways and brought to France to become part of the decadent society set. Interestingly weird Busby Berkley-esque dance near the end.
½ July 29, 2011
It's Arabic for small source but she's a big source of trouble

An American author heads to Africa seeking inspiration to write a book. He leaves his wife behind in their luxurious estate. While in Africa he meets an African princess that is unfamiliar with the way of western civilization. The wife of the author meets a very civilized and rich African in America and becomes smitten with his behaviors. The author's life will never be the same after this book...

"If the birds eat from the hands of men they lose their freedom."

Edmond Greville, director of The Accident, Temptation, Wild for Kicks, The Silk Noose, The Other Side of Paradise, I Married a Spy, and House on the Waterfront, delivers Princess of Tam Tam. The storyline for this movie is fairly straight forward but the end was a bit unpredictable and not as the audience may hope. The acting was okay and the script could have been better written. The cast includes Josephine Baker, Albert Prejean, Robert Arnoux, and Jean Galland.

"I want my little vagabond to be stylish."

This week on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) double feature they focused on musicals (unfortunately). This particular picture stood out for me as I had never seen a Josephine Baker film. This movie was interesting and I enjoyed her character; however, I think this movie should have been a bit longer and allowed Greville to better develop the plot prior to the awkward ending. Overall, this is a nice period piece but far from a classic.

"To get treated nicely you must dress well?"

Grade: B-
July 28, 2011
Baker is erotic sexy alluring and u just can't take ur eyes off her when shes on screen and when she's not all u think about is when is she coming back in this yet another pygmallion tale.
July 28, 2011
I had no idea how truly beautiful Josephine Baker was...fabulous precept
June 22, 2009
Parisian writer decides to visit colonies in hopes that encounters with primitives will break his writer's block. Josephine Baker movie where is she is once again plays the role of a primitive who doesn't really fit into civilized society.
½ January 6, 2009
'My Fair Lady' eat yer heart out.
October 25, 2008
Josephine Baker is fabulous, of course, but the rest of the movie is a mess. It means well, but the message is muddy (Civilization is bad? Really?), and Busby Berkeley did choral beauties with more grace. Baker acts, sings, speaks, and walks with such a midwest swagger that this would have been a profounder movie if the two Frenchmen had been trying to "civilize" an American.
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
March 29, 2007
one of my all time favorites