Prison - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prison Reviews

½ January 1, 2012
Meidän Rennylle vähän ekstraa.
October 29, 2011
Harlin's first theatrical effort quickly establishes his garish stylistics choices such as a POV tracking shot to the electrical chair. It also adheres to his sound-and-fury-signifying-nothing sensibilities wherein the inmates are besieged by a barrage of loud pyrotechnics without a plausible reason since the ghost's only objective is murdering the newly appointed warden. It's all swiftly paced and tautly photographed, but the midsection is a sluggish going-through-the-motions initiation into penitentiary life such as rivalries, riots and sage advice about having "the face of a lifer". But like the 'Final Destination' movies, it's arduous to be frightened by an incorporeal Grim Reaper firing a gun turret and wrapping razor wires around a sadistic guard. 'Prison' retains Harlin's whizz-bang shepherding, but it's a vapid, spineless revenge story with corridors that imitatively resemble Freddy Krueger's boiler room.
½ October 26, 2011
Great little horror film.
½ July 27, 2011
Usually in horror movies, the really scary ones have no gore, and the gory ones aren't scary. Prison is the rare film that manages to accomplish both in spades. The atmosphere is top-notch, the acting is flawless, and there's more gore than you can shake a stick at. It has been said that at the end, stuntman Kane Hodder put live worms in his mouth as the resurrected body of Charles Forsythe, but the scene goes by so fast I don't know if anyone can see what's in his mouth. I've never been to prison (thankfully), but the depiction here seems uncannily realistic. The warden is a real scumbag, as are the rest of the staff of the prison. This was an Empire Pictures film, and each film they make never fails to amaze me. It seems that whenever Charles Band says something like, "Hey! Let's adapt a story from H. P. Lovecraft!", he makes the best Lovecraft movie EVER. I'm pretty sure he said something along those lines when he thought up Prison, and it's one of those movies that never fails.
June 6, 2011
Viggo Mortensen els' f'szerepe Renny Harlin korai munkájában. Eg (C)sz jó kis börtönös horror csak valahogy minden olyan felszínes benne, (karakterek, indít (C)kok, összef 1/4gg (C)sek) ízig-v (C)rig közepes produkció.
½ September 9, 2010
Horror movies become to feel dated really quick, especially low budget as this one which lives on the 80's special effects. However, there's a shower scene with Mortensen
August 3, 2010
Trouver ça bon pour le temps, la scène des barbelés est réussie
Viggo est jeune en kriss
½ June 26, 2010
Un B pubon B qui fleure bon les 80s et les locations de vhs du samedi aprés-midi
June 1, 2010
Falls in the So-Bad-Its-Good genre with horrible acting from otherwise okay actors and cheesy 1980s effects. A movie to watch while laughing drunk if you can ever find it!
May 7, 2010
Just watched it on DVD last night, haven´t seen it on centuries... brings back some chilling childhood memories! Scary? Nah, but a shit load of fun!
½ April 17, 2010
"Prison" first came to my attention years ago when I read about it in a Fangoria publication titled "101 movies you have never seen" upon reading the article I thought it sounded fantastic and instantly hopped onto amazon to purchase the DVD, to my disappointment the movie was unavailable on any format! After years of trying to hunt this movie down I finally laid my hunts on a dutch import and my of my what a let down!!! "Prison" is a pretty bog standard 80's supernatural horror, often showing moments of promise but never fully capitalizing on the decent premise. My advice is if you really must watch a movie where a dude executed on death row returns to cause supernatural havoc then check out Wes Craven's superior movie "Shocker".
March 21, 2010
Didnt care to much for this movie the 1st time I seen it when I was a little kid & still dont care for it after seeing it recently
February 27, 2010
I watched the film because it was from Renny Harlin. And it was disappointment but quite entertaining. Not the best Harlin films but still average. He just need a good scripts.
½ February 17, 2010
Hidden horror gem from the 80's highly recomended. And if Joe V. sees this.... " PRISON PRISON PRISON"
½ January 20, 2010
nice 80`s horror film. Lane Smith`s eyes creeped me out, he looked evil as hell.
½ November 9, 2009
October 7, 2009
Several years back, prisoner Charles Forsyth is wrongfully executed for a murder he did not commit, thanks in part to a shady guard (the late, great Lane Smith) which is clouded in controversy, thus resulting in the shutdown of the prison. Now, after several years, the prison is re-opening, with Smith as its Warden, and 300 prisoners are moved in to help renovate the prison, including then-unknown Viggo Mortenson (Lord of the Rings Trilogy, A History of Violence, Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3), who resembles the executed prisoner. When the old electrocution chamber is reopened, the evil spirit of Forsyth roams the prison (via a combination of ectoplasm and electricity), killing off inmates and guards alike. This Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4) directed film is an absolute gem that DESPERATELY needs a transferal to DVD and Blu-ray. Thanks to excellent direction from Harlin and a surprisingly good cast, which also includes Tommy "Tiny" Lister (Wishmaster 2, Friday), Tom Everett (Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, Friday the 13th 4), Chelsea Field (The Birds II: Land's End), and the great Kane Hodder (Friday the 13th Parts 7-10, Hatchet, a million other movies), Prison manages to exceed on many levels, delivering a fun story, surprisingly decent effects, good kills, and an overall fun movie. Like I said, this needs to be put on DVD badly. A terrific, underrated, hidden gem. I highly recommend people to seek this one out.
August 3, 2009
I dont know.. Nothing special
April 2, 2009
it was a wery good one even thou it was old.. and it was kind of funny in some spots xD
February 28, 2009
An interesting premise gets lost in a poorly connected story. The sad thing is that there are tons of great character actors in this film. It could have been so much more. However, one can only take so many meaningless deaths before you begin to wonder if you should bother watching the rest.