Prisoners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prisoners Reviews

½ April 15, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: In some moments, 'Prisoners' is one of the grittiest, most frightening psychological thrillers I've ever seen, as it hooks you and places you in one of the most desperate and difficult scenarios imaginable. What hooks you though is a whole combination of incredible performances (particularly from Hugh Jackman), great character-building and typically cold, sparse and nail-biting direction from Denis Villenueve, and amazingly moody cinematography from Roger Deakins.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As it unravels, you realise the plot and themes are actually rather convoluted and silly, and the fact you get so much breathing room to think about all that makes it quite a big problem.
VERDICT: A dark, scary thriller where the brilliant cast and direction can't quite overcome the weaker foundations.
½ March 25, 2017
I did not get bored at any point during this film. And that is an amazing feat considering it was way past bedtime when I popped it into the DVD player. I was engaged the entire length.
March 24, 2017
Outstanding. Outstanding.
March 21, 2017
a totally piece of jewerly, this is the best result that an police thriller could have, amazing story, beautiful scenes, breathtaking situations and the best cast that could have been founded. Strong performance from jake gyllenhaal and good management of script, with a lot of interrogants, prioners complies with everything we expected.
March 18, 2017
Fantastic, tense & brilliantly acted thriller.
March 17, 2017
Denis Villeneuve twists and turns you with this disturbing masterpiece centered on a complex plot line, blurry characters (whether or not who is good or bad with either positive or negative intentions), and a gloomy atmosphere all packed into a suspense-filled thriller similar to David Fincher's Se7en (1995) or Zodiac (2007). But Villeneuve's depressing mosaic is one hell of an emotional ride.
½ March 5, 2017
I'm not a fan of thrillers / suspense of this kind, but I do think that our own Denis Villeneuve had successfully delivered an excellent movie in this genre.
March 4, 2017
Great movie with excellent performances from each of the actors. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie. kab
February 28, 2017
Its a dark psychological thriller, but it's also a quiet human drama with a lot of emotional complexity. Denis Villeneuve crafted one of the most perfectly directed and complex films I've ever seen. It's one of those rare movies where instead of just simply watching things happen the story is unfolding before you, and I believe much of it is due to the slew of incredible performances, absolutely flawless cinematography and the tone of dread and discomfort. An amazing work of art! One of my absolute favorite thrillers!
February 26, 2017
Although the script is sloppy, it manages to deliver a fairly painful parable about America.
½ February 26, 2017
Predictable and annoying. This movie was a waste of my time and will be a waste of yours. It is not worth 2 and a half hours of your day. Go watch something better. Too many pointless scenes, not enough story development. Guy tortures dude, old lady has kids. Whole movie summarized in 7 words. #dissapointment #petty
½ February 22, 2017
After really enjoying 'Arrival' recently I thought I'd pluck this from my extensive 'to watch' list and I'm glad I did as this is an excellent offering. It feels like reading a novel the characters are so well realised and the plot so engaging. It's dark and gritty but despite the extended running time moves along at a great pace. Villeneuve has quickly become a real director to watch.
½ February 16, 2017
A great dark thriller that gives us a look into the horrors of "what if this happened to me".
½ February 13, 2017
Light hearted entertainment this is not. Very grim thriller with lots of twists right up until the end. Great performances and score.
February 12, 2017
I rarely ever describe a film this way, but I think that Prisoners is legitimately perfect. It's absolutely gorgeous, the script is airtight, the editing immaculate, and the performances....my god, the performances. Did any of us really know that Hugh Jackman is capable of this? I've gotten the idea of him as a bit of a fruit cup based on his interest / background in theater, but my god he becomes this stern, troubled lumberjack of a man. Jake Gyllenhaal does nothing less than a 10/10 job, as well - he cements himself as my favorite working actor with this film.
February 11, 2017
Absolutely thrilling.
½ February 6, 2017
Certainly Villenueve's most accessible film, but still a very good one.
February 5, 2017
Prisoners had some great ideas, a talented cast, and nice camera-work. Unfortunately, it ended up losing its way and becoming tiresome while devolving into an attempt to sicken the audience rather than entertain.
½ February 3, 2017
Denis Villeneuve appears to be a very consistent director. I just watched this movie after 'arrival' having already seen 'sicario,' and I am constantly being impressed by how immersive his films are. Every actor was chosed perfectly, all giving fantastic performance, without out a single one shining above the rest. (which is a great sign of a fantastic cast.) This is film that really deserves your attention.
½ January 26, 2017
Hugh Jackman, uno de mis actores favoritos, es Keller Dover un padre de familia que emprende una búsqueda desesperada por encontrar a su hija secuestrada Anna, La niña fue secuestrada junto a otra pequeña, hija de sus vecinos, Joy. En un pueblo donde los secuestros de los niños cada cierto tiempo son historia, aparece el detective Loki,(Jake Gyllenhaal) experto en resolver cualquier caso. Keller empezará a seguir las pistas correctas y traspasar los límites de la ley por la desesperación de encontrar a su pequeña. Con las actuaciones de Paul Dano, María Bello y Terrence Howard.