The Private Life of Don Juan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Private Life of Don Juan Reviews

½ September 7, 2014
In what could only be termed as serendipitous (for us), Douglas Fairbanks last film is that of playing ... a has been. Don Juan was once the scourge of his hometown, wooing and winning married women left and right, but returns after a long exile to discover his reputation has replaced him: the illusion of who he was now far more potent than he himself, more resonant.
He seems to take it all quite well but here is one of the first superstars, American royalty, honestly facing, in story and in truth, the end of the line.
And his cast and he, directed with nuanced shadings by Alexander Korva, deliver a romp more sophisticated than one might suppose considering the year of production. Very good stuff.
August 12, 2012
My first Douglas Fairbanks movie and what a doozy. Hilarious deconstruction of the Don Juan myth and a fanciful takedown of Fairbanks persona. As with all Alexander Korda movies I have reviewed thus far I must add "risqué and ribald." strongly recommended.
½ April 5, 2011
Douglas Fairbanks in his final role, wittily sending up his swashbuckling past, portraying the famous lothario as tired and past his prime, but still with a certain twinkle in his eye for younger women.
½ December 25, 2010
Not a great movie, nor one of fairbanks' best, but it's enjoyable and very funny, I liked it. The story is pretty good, but it could have been better.