Private Lives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Private Lives Reviews

Antonius Block
February 28, 2017
'Private Lives' starts simply enough, with Norma Shearer together with her new husband after having been divorced from Robert Montgomery, and him together with his new wife. As fate (or playwright Noel Coward) would have it, they happen to end up spending their honeymoons in adjoining suites. I suppose you can imagine what comes next as their love is rekindled, but what happens beyond that is a little bit of a surprise. It feels like a 1931 version of 'Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf?', though without the same weight.

Shearer is natural and plays 'exasperated' well, but she overacts at others times, and Montgomery is similarly uneven. They do have some level of chemistry, and the best scene that has them worked up to near violence (her hitting him over the head with a record, him slapping her, her running to the couch to bury her head and kicking her legs) is probably the best of the movie, but even that has an air or ridiculousness about it, meaning it hasn't aged terribly well. Their co-stars, Reginald Denny and Una Merkel are bland and unappealing.

The theme is timeless, the difficulty of staying happy in relationships, and the danger of thinking the grass is always greener. There are some nice moments, such as when Shearer is expounding on the wonders of travel, saying she loves "arriving at strange places, meeting strange people, and eating strange food", and then Montgomery quips, "yes, and making strange noises afterwards". It is also risqué in some parts, such as this exchange early on:

Denny: He struck you once, didn't he?
Shearer (smiling): Oh, more than once.
Denny (concerned): where?
Shearer (smiling and raising an eyebrow): Several places...

For every element I found I liked, there was an equally unappealing element, and in this case I suppose Montgomery's line that "certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs" later in the movie is that. It's not awful, but the movie gets tedious with all of the bickering, and I found myself happy when it was over.
½ November 18, 2015
Private Lives showcases the comedic skills of Shearer and Montgomery as well as their onscreen chemistry. I can see how some might not enjoy this film that revolves around pretty horrible people, but I love Noel Coward and fast paced comedies. It is definitely a product of its time, but for me that's the charm.
January 22, 2014
another pre-code love triangle pic
September 27, 2010
I really liked the performances by Narma Shearer and Robert Montgomery, father of Elizabeth Montgomery...
May 21, 2010
very good version of coward play-amazing cast.
½ February 26, 2010
79/100. This is a delightful movie and very entertaining. Norma Shearer and Robert Montgomery deliver outstanding performances. I am a big fan of Norma Shearer and this is among her best. Witty dialogue, fine direction, the usual impeccably good MGM production.
November 26, 2009
Easily my favorite comedy from the 30's. I love Noel Coward and this play/film is one of his best imho. Gotta love Norma Shearer and her tantrums ! LOL
½ April 26, 2006