Private Romeo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Private Romeo Reviews

½ December 17, 2015
The beginning of the movie confused me a little, but then I caught onto the rhythm of the classroom/military school to Shakespeare/young love shifts and found it enchanting. I've attended professional performances on stage in which the meaning of the lines in the play were butchered, along with the scan of the phrasing. This move certainly didn't suffer from THAT problem! The heck with the critics who can't appreciate pure entertainment.
½ June 13, 2015
This adaptation of Romeo and Juliet takes place at a military school where the young men begin reading the play for a class. The play's dialogue quickly begins to take over their conversation, even outside the classroom. By the time two of the men fall in love, they are playing out the play, with the feud no longer between families but between those who accept them and those who do not. I felt this began to breakdown in the second half of the movie, though, especially when some of the characters begins to stand in for more than just one character from the play. The subtext quickly becomes very confusing. Much of the urgency of the play and the expectation for the ending tragedy is removed. The abrupt ending and out-of-place ending don't seem to bring any themes together, and it became unclear to me what message the movie might be trying to explore.

The acting was not bad, but the line readings were not, to me, very convincing. Whatever magical realism was making these men recite Shakespeare's lines did not seem to lead anyplace significant.
May 22, 2015
Yet another lame adaptation of the famous Shakespeare's play.
April 27, 2014
A surprising, refreshing and brilliant way to make Shakespeare's classic completely modern and sexy.
October 17, 2013
A delight. Very surprising smooth acting with heart. The scenes flow. The actors deliver solid performances. A tender, imaginative piece of work from Alan Brown.
½ July 13, 2013
Gay Romeo and Juliet lol meh
April 24, 2013
Private Romeo often makes it difficult to follow with its usage of Shakepearean dialogue, but at least the actors are all hot.
½ February 19, 2013
Extraordinary lovestory at a military academy combining Shakespearean English and soldiers doing lip synch on webcam.
February 10, 2013
so I really hated the way they talked during the whole movie but I was won over by when Glenn sang the credits. he's and AMAZING singer
½ January 8, 2013
The central actors have undeniable chemistry. They made the whole film so dreamy. Very well-acted, and one of the few modern takes that seems actually approach Shakespeare's language appropriately. It was nice to see Romeo and Juliet was a sprig of joy in it. Also, I love that it was almost non-gendered.
January 7, 2013
I thought it was an interesting spin on Romeo and Juliet.
½ December 17, 2012
Absolutely atrocious.
November 23, 2012
A curious adaptation, but an effective and a sweet one.
½ October 19, 2012
Although many liberties are taken with the original, there is something profoundly intriguing about this adaptation. It is extremely well acted. Some of Shakespeare's lines are more clear than I have ever heard of them. I would expect an appreciative audience to be very limited.
October 6, 2012
A very good homosexual modern portrayal of romeo and Juliet. Don't ask don't tell version in sorts. The only down side was that it was difficult to tell who was who for the first half of the movie.
September 20, 2012
I can get all male romeo and juliet.. but there are some things that just didn't work about this. The acting was wonderful, and over all I enjoyed it.. but there were things that just took me out of it.. like the web cam songs and the end song... I don't know.. could have been better, but it wasn't wasted time.
½ September 8, 2012
Bastante imaginativo y arriesgado sobre todo al poner los dialogos de la obra de Shakespeare Romeo & Juliet dentro de una escuela de cadetes en donde todos los personajes son hombres dandole un look bastante teatral del cual su director Alan Brown sale muy bien librado sobre todo porque logra su cometido contar una historia de amor dentro del tan machista regimen del ejercito.
September 3, 2012
It was way better than the ratings indicate. I found it interesting and the "balcony" scene almost had me in tears. I love this play, was in it once and have seen it a dozen times. Of course this is a very cut up shortened version, but I liked it. If you can't handle a gay love story, this film is not for you.
August 28, 2012
Artistically, it was really well done! Even the acting was good considering it's a gay film. I didn't mind the changes to the story either except the end.....it's a tragedy, leave it that way. Entertaining overall!