The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio Reviews

• Jan 29, 2019

Just watched this again... one of the most amazing and healing movies. I'm moved by this. It shows what is possible when living in happiness intentionally is a committed approach. I don't understand the bad reviews... it is just so good... AND important.

• Mar 23, 2018

This is a great story, just a pity it didnt get better reviews, maybe its telling was just too on the ground for todays hyped up action and special effects audience...

• Jul 18, 2017

Men are evil and stupid. Women are wondrous creatures. An offensive and idiotic movie.

• Jul 04, 2017

This movie is so moving and heartfelt that at some points I almost cried. I love how it started out and played. Given this movie is based on true events it is so true about life in the years it was done. I absolutely love this film with all my heart. This film reminded me of my mom and how she has done so well with all six of her kids with very little money at times. She kept her happiness for everyone just like Mrs.Ryan did. This film is a personal movement for my mom and all families that have it tough(Tuff ; )).

• Oct 21, 2016

Another outstanding performance by Julianne Moore. A feel good triumph.

Another outstanding performance by Julianne Moore. A feel good triumph.

• Aug 27, 2015

Ever noticed that Woody Harrelson is great at playing a jerk? Me too. Anyway, though this movie starts off sort of clunky, once it gets going, you're hooked. It's a great story of faithfulness and determination, even in the face of long odds.

• Jul 20, 2015

"The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" has one of the clunkiest names but one of the most fascinating true stories. If the story of Evelyn Ryan was fictional, it would seem a bit mundane. But as soon as the words "based on a true story" appear, this becomes a heroic tale of an anything-but-mundane housewife. I expected to half-watch this film as I did work but I was immediately taken by its unique style. It feels so 50's, from the video slideshow flashback to the jingle singers mingling with the real world. The style is complimented by excellent performances by Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson. Moore's layered performance expresses her disappointment with her husband while maintaining a stiff upper lip to hold her family together. Her face does not always reflect her feelings, and yet we know. Woody does the opposite with dynamic acting that brings a true sense of intimidation to his character while still breaking to show his insecurity. The most wild thing is the unconditional love of Evelyn. In most movies, she would have left Kelly or had him arrested, but in real life she was able to immediately forgive his abusive and irresponsible actions because of the hardships that he faced. She redefines the word "selfless." The expertly written script builds the tension between the two of them, first starting with an almost comical scene and then slowly revealing the seriousness as the film progresses. I was also very impressed with Ellary Porterfield as Tuff but wanted to see more of Laura Dern. Since this script is based on the memoir of Tuff Ryan, I'm sure that the characters of Kelly and Ray the Milkman are negatively exaggerated, but that is part of what makes this story so fascinating. We get to see it from the perspective of an adult reflecting on her childhood. "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" is the complete package with a family that you can root for, a constant source of conflict, and an amazing story of perseverance that is enhanced by a revealing of the successes of this family's lineage.

• Jul 17, 2015

Loved this movie....she uses power of now princples.... Just taking each problem as it comes, enjoying the present moment, forgiving the past, not worrying for the future..she is a saint, really, what a good mom...different moral values....reminded me of gram a bit. Now this would be considered child endangerment/ abuse to stay in her marriage.

• May 13, 2015

This is a very enjoyable movie about a remarkable woman and the power of forgiveness.

• May 12, 2015

Original story, really good acting.

Original story, really good acting.