Prizzi's Honor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prizzi's Honor Reviews

October 5, 2016
A deftly crafted comedy/gangster movie, looks like a clever parody on all those serious gangster movies .
April 3, 2016
How do you make a gangster movie boring as hell? Water it down by making it a comedy AND a romance as well and then miscast Jack Nicholson alongside Kathleen Turner. I turned it off before the first hour was up.
February 27, 2016
A mildly enjoyable, satirical take on the mob life. Some of the supporting cast (namely William Hickey playing Don Corrado and Anjelica Huston playing Maerose Prizzi) give great performances with intriguing characters somewhat making up for the uninteresting main characters (Nicholson and Turner). Extra kudos for being one of the first (if not then the first) satires on mobster life.
½ February 1, 2016
A very strange film. Sometimes funny, often inexplicable but never boring and acted with a never-before-seen flair (and accent) from Nicholson, whose Oscar nomination is the only one of the film's 8 (!) which makes any sense to me. Good film, though.
½ November 11, 2015
A mafia crime film with the suited doses of black humor and satyrical issues that go around the honor of the Prizzi family.
July 19, 2015
Many who have followed Jack Nicholson's career usually talk about One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining, Easy Rider, Chinatown, A few Good Men, As good as it Gets, Terms of Endearment, Batman and The Departed. Jack has also starred in a few films you need to look back in the history books for such as Reds, Ironweed, The Last Detail, About Schmidt and 1985's Prizzi's Honor. Prizzi's Honor I have to say is the worst I've seen so far of Jack's pictures. The film by John Huston needed some muuuuuuch better direction, really terrible. So many annoying and disappointing elements made for one hell of a horrid flick.
Prizzi's Honor is the story of Charley Partana a hitman for a crime organization headed by Don Corrado Prizzi. Partana meets a beautiful young woman who he later finds out is a hitman like him. At the same time he meets Maerose an old lover of his who makes things complicated for Partana as he is thrown into an situation full of twist, turns, murder and complex love.
I am confused was this supposed to be a light hearted picture or a crime film? That damn piano was ruining it for me it was in scenes were it didn't need to be. One of the most annoying scores ever. There is no comedy in this picture very misleading except for one moment. Jack Nicholson looks like he got a face lift here why he looks so scruntched up? It really ruined it for me I think this is the one role out of his career where he shouldn't have been casted for this his portrayal was kinda underwhelming and I didn't really see much of the hitman as they played him up to being. William hickey sounded so croakly and weird didn't really care much for him his presence wasn't hyped enough or made evident in this picture. Anjelica Huston was ok here she wasn't all that.
In conclusion Just a real BAAAD FILM poorly craft film. stay the hell away from this flick.
½ June 4, 2015
This film is one of John Huston's best works before his death. His daughter Angelica Huston was awarded Best Supporting Actress Academy Award defeating Oprah Winfrey and Margaret Avery for the Color Purple. Despite her father, Angelica gives a magnificent memorable performance as Maerose Prizzi, a lover of Charley, played by then real-life lover Jack Nicholson in one of his best film roles. He plays mob assassin and falls in love with Kathleen Turner, not one of my favorite actresses then and now. The film is dark comedy complimenting the Godfather saga. The film earned his eight Academy Award nominations. It has an all-star cast, great writing, and visually stunning scenery set in New York City. It's a very rich film, yet if it does lack something it's the complete adherence to a perfectly clear plot. It's understandably convoluted, though not to the extent of a Maltese Falcon or other, and it also veers a couple of times into becoming too serious for its own good. But these quibbles aside, Prizzi's Honor is involving and strong as drama and a tale of bad love, but the added touches of comedy rise it to the level of the sublime- just watch as Charlie and Irene go for the kidnapping plan, and find someone unexpected coming around in the elevator (and who doesn't catch a baby?).
½ May 26, 2015
John Huston's dark comedy remains unique and twisted. While both Nicholson and Turner are outstanding -- the movie is totally stolen by Anjelica Huston.
March 24, 2015
What a wonderful cast....didn't think Jack would do it in the end but it wouldn't feel the same if he didn't.
January 29, 2015
Muddled but funny and effective in parts. Full review later.
January 26, 2015
It's a mixed bag here, i saw it based on the actors, director, and based off the book from the author of the manchurian candidate, there are a lot of good elements, the performances are all good-nicholson, turner huston and hickey, and i liked the overall premise, but it didnt come together nicely i thought, there were some questionable decisions made by some characters, also the ending was really "off" i didnt know what it was going for, there's too much talent involved for it to be bad, but i feel the story def needed some more work
January 20, 2015
Interesante film sobre la mafia ,comedia , humor negro y buenas actuaciones especialmente de Anjelica Huston , pero con un final poco acertado , la unica peli q vi de John Huston , necesito ver sus primeras obras
December 8, 2014
I have no idea what in the world is going on with this movie. Is it a comedy? Well, no, there aren't any real jokes or even humorous things that happen. Is it a crime drama? Well, no, the accents and acting are so ridiculously over-the-top that there's no way someone could take it seriously. I literally made it until the very final scene and still didn't know how the movie-makers expected me to react to Prizzi's Honor. The events of the story kind of play out like they were trying to make the next Godfather, but that doesn't work so well when you've got Uncle Lewis (from Christmas Vacation) as the Godfather, and Jack Nicholson struggling through one of the most forced accents in cinema history. I started to kind of laugh at the whole movie, not because anyone said or did anything funny, but just because the entire production was that poor. Prizzi's Honor is one of those rare movies that I wanted to stop watching about halfway through, but managed to make it through by relishing its awfulness. I highly recommend that everyone avoid this movie like the plague, it is almost unwatchable, unless you are one of those people who like a movie that is "so bad it's good." How in the world did this get nominated for so many Oscars?
August 3, 2014
Boring. Not one of my favorite Jack Nicholson films.
½ May 9, 2014
The first hour of the movie is very slow, but the pace eventually picks up as the plot becomes more complex. All the acting in the film is excellent and its also well written, providing a humorous spin on both the mob movie and the romantic comedy.
½ May 6, 2014
It doesn't find its footing until half way through but when it does everything is fun and the performances are great. I can't see why Anjelica Huston won an Oscar for this but I see how William Hickey and Jack Nicholson got nominated both are great
½ April 18, 2014
not bad at all. i like this kind of black comedies
½ April 5, 2014
Una buona commedia surreale che vi strapperą sicuramente qualche sorriso.
March 1, 2014
I think this was probably more entertaining in 1985. Jack Nicholson is very plausible and less 'Jack' than in many movies, but the plot is labyrinthine and contains much 'bang you're dead' stuff. Good of its type, perhaps, but didn't really appeal to us in 2014.
½ February 22, 2014
This movie is long, tedious, and anti-climatic. Nicholson hams it up at a feeble attempt to parody. This satire attempts to give off a dark humor's missing the humor. This movie is flat and never once gives us anything to be interested in. The only bright spots in this movie are Anjelica Huston and William Hickey. As for the leads, they lack a necessary chemistry, as if even they are bored with this movie.