The Prodigal Son Reviews

• May 30, 2018

Excellent film Very Special Quality

Excellent film Very Special Quality

• Oct 24, 2015

Review: This is a classic, old school Kung Fu movie with a lot of silly jokes but a dramatic ending. Its about a boy called Leung Chang (Biao Yuen) who things that he's a Kung Fu master because his friends pay people to take his beatings. When he finally comes across someone who is not willing to fall down, he realises that his skills aren't that great and his friends tell him about what they have been doing behind his back. He then seeks training from his opponent, who is reluctant on taking him on as his apprentice. After much persuasion, he finally teaches him Wing Chun, along with his brother who has a different style. When he returns home after some intense training, his master gets murdered by a man who wants to challenge all of the Kung Fu masters, so he steps up to revenge his teacher and friend. Basically it's the old concept of "You Killed My Master" which we have seen many times in this genre but I never get bored of it. Although this film is extremely authentic, with some great action scenes, Sammo Hung's script was quite silly and camp, which was a bit weird for films in this genre in the 80's. I did chuckle at a few scenes, especially the funny English dubbing and it reminded a lot of when I used to watch Kung Fu movies on VHS. Anyway, it's definitely one to have in your collection, if your into your old school karate movies and it's one that I will never get bored of. GREAT! Round-Up: This movie was directed by Sammo Hung, 63, who brought you movies like Project A, Wheels & Meals, Dragons Forever, Moon Warriors, Evil Cult, Mr. Nice Guy and One Upon A Time in China and America. He's starred in over 160 movies and he's starred in the lead of a successful series called Martial Law, which made him a household name around the world. He has a comedic style, very much like Jackie Chan, who he has starred alongside for many years and he is highly respected in his native country. This movie, which has become an all time classic, pushed him major stardom in the 80's and his chubby stature proved that you can still pull of some amazing moves, no matter what your weight is. He hasn't directed a movie since 1997 but he is still starring in movies like Once Upon A Time in Shanghai and the Last Tycoon. Personally I find his jokes a bit too silly at times, like I did in this film but it still worked. Anyway, the bonus material on the DVD was as interesting as the movie so it's one worth purchasing. I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/comedy/martial arts movies starring Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung. 7/10

• Oct 08, 2015

This film is one of my favourite Martial Art Films of all time, it has a decent story and amazing action scenes. When film magazines go on about the greatest films ever made and always seem to put Godfather 2, Citizen Kane and Battleship Potemkim up there, yeah THAT'S your opinion, this is one of the greatest films ever.

• Oct 05, 2014

Its a awesome film with a very real like fight you can learn allot from at the end. There is also governmental drama and clear comedy in this film. (also in one of the Bruce Lee documentaries there is footage of Bruce being on this set during film breaks, talking and walking through. Did he advise informally?) Great Wing Chun as well-

• Nov 20, 2013

For the most part it's a training movie with terrible attempts at humor. The nomination for best direction makes sense, but I was wondering how it won the best choreography award until the finale, which is worth slogging through the slow parts.

• Jul 26, 2012

The Prodigal Son does have some glorious fight scenes but the lame 70s Sammo Hung-style humor is nearly maddening. It's not as relentless or extreme as some of the his other films but overall, it's barely tolerable. Unless you're a fan of this type of comedy you might struggle to get to the fight scenes. At least the fight scenes are just worth it to watch the film, although the best of them don't come along until the latter half of the film.

• Jul 07, 2012

I thought this movie was stupid at first, but after seeing it in it's entirery, I think it was good!

• Jul 05, 2012

Overly silly kung fu slapstick comedy with a few nice fights

Overly silly kung fu slapstick comedy with a few nice fights

• Jun 20, 2012

Everybody Wing Chung tonight. This film is a fine example of what the kung fu genre has to offer.

• May 22, 2012

For me this is easily in the all time best three martial arts movies ever made. Good story, funny, great action and the wing chun is classic!