The Producers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Producers Reviews

September 10, 2015
I laughed sooooo hard
August 29, 2015
This movie was some type of reward. I've got no interest in watching it.
August 22, 2015
Not in the class of the original(not even close}it's easy to see why this version made a better musical theater production than it did on the big screen.
August 7, 2015
Ugh, this is what I'm talking about! Next to Chicago, this is one of the best modern musicals that has come out in a very long time. A classic remake of a brilliant comedy. But what makes it better: MUSIC! The music in this movie, God, it was just so hilariously written and hilariously portrayed. This movie is just a great, silly musical and it should please Mel Brook's fans all around the world. Lane, Broderick, and Ferrell have broughten more stage light to their world, finally, because they deserve all the attention in this movie, for they we're all outstandingly funny in this.
July 25, 2015
Yes, I'll prefer Mel Brooks film version of The Producers than this one any day, but this version is still a very entertaining adaption of an already excellent broadway musical (thats adapted from Mel Brooks comedy). Lets just say, I appreciate this film on it's own terms.
June 25, 2015
A funny well done musical with an exciting cast that you can't keep your eyes off.
½ June 9, 2015
This has songs called
Keep it Gay
Springtime for Hitler and
When You've Got It, Flaunt It

You've been warned
½ May 26, 2015
It's funny here and there but mostly a flop.
½ May 24, 2015
Two producers (Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane) decide to make a major Broadway flop in the Producers. They choose an offensive and poorly written play that praises Hitler. They hire the worst director they can think of and before they know it... the show is a huge hit. The producers has a funnier concept than it was a a movie. The movie is a straight up production of a musical on Broadway and does not splice together any story in between such as a movie like Chicago. The film itself is just not the best media and this belongs more on the stage. Despite that it had it a few moments, but is not worth watching unless you are already a huge fan of the musical play.
May 16, 2015
A very funny and entertaining musical based on Mel Brook's hit show. Lane and Broderick are terrific. Lots of memorable classic performances and adult humor. Great musical as well as a great comedy.
½ May 5, 2015
I enjoyed the remake more than the original up until the third act where this film took it further than need be. Will Ferrell perhaps stills the show and outshines Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane who have too much clumsy material to go through. Still I'd rather watch just the best of pieces from this movie, then the whole thing.
April 19, 2015
it was ok, not the best from mel brooks
February 22, 2015
It's fun! And (occasionally) very funny! The original is legendary of course, but this deserves a bit more credit for keeping most of the original snark and humor alive.
½ February 7, 2015
A disastrous playwriter and a naive accountant ally so that they can planify a great scam: they will produce the worst play ever, the one that will scandalize all kinds of viewers and will surely fail in every single aspect. They have the worst director, the worst actors, and the worst play, but in the end... it is a critically-acclaimed success.

Mel Brooks produces this Musical Comedy, which includes names such as Matthew Broderick and Uma Thurman between the main cast. The main play "Springstime For Hitler" is beautifully executed, and the story, though dull and slow in the beginning, finally evolves into an adorable comedy.
January 1, 2015
Love Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick
½ December 28, 2014
Despite Will Ferrell butchering the role of Franz Liebkind, this is a decent film adaptation of the vastly superior stage musical. Mel Brooks' score is tuneful and funny and the performances (aside from Will Ferrell's aforementioned abomination) are top notch. The main drawback is the director's lack of filmmaking experience making the movie feel more like filmed theatre than a piece of cinema, still a hoot nonetheless.
December 14, 2014
Nathan Lane is one of my favorite performers. I say performer because he acts, sings, dances, he does it all. And the Producers is on my top five Musicals of all time and this film version fires on all cylinders. Even Matthew Broderick brings it which is odd for me to say, because I can't think of one other film I enjoyed him this much in. Will Farrell needs to be in more musicals too because he has great timing and is fantastic in this film. Please just see it in any way you can.
December 12, 2014
I might get myself killed for this but ..... I like this version of "The Producers" better than the original. B+
½ November 23, 2014
To make one thing clear: I adore the original PRODUCERS movie from 1968. I regard it as one of the most important and influential films ever made, as it changed how people viewed World War II and how people used offensive or shocking humor. Mel Brooks is one of my favorite comedy directors, and, although some of his films are hit-and-miss, THE PRODUCERS never misses.

This makes me hate the remake of THE PRODUCERS all the more. It takes every brilliant element of the original and dumbs it down. The acting is horrible, the writing is unfunny, the character changes are unforgivable, and the direction is sloppy.

The performances in the original film are classic. Zero Mostel, one of the most charismatic and energized actors I have ever seen on screen, is replaced by an obnoxious, bumbling, sluggish Nathan Lane (whom I typically enjoy on screen). An even more insulting replacement is Gene Wilder's Oscar-nominated performance with Matthew Broderick's Razzie-worthy attempt at comedy. He is beyond atrocious--Broderick does not have good comedic timing, sings poorly, and sounds like he does not even feel like acting. He is sluggish, obnoxious, dull, and pales in comparison to Wilder's energized, perfectly exaggerated performance. Will Ferrel (replacing the hilarious Kenneth Mars) is the only actor seemingly enjoying acting in this film. Although he is irritatingly hammy (in a way that suggests that the director does not know how to direct her actors), Ferrel at least has energy and some level of interest.

The jokes in this movie, for the most part, are just piss poor. It's as if the writers wanted to modify the jokes in the original film in order to make the remake more than a stale carbon copy, but instead made the jokes dumb and nonsensical. I found myself unable to laugh for a majority of this movie because the jokes do not make sense.

All in all, avoid this film. It is one of the worst I have ever seen, and only gets me angrier every time I think about it. Go watch the real 1968 version and get this one the fuck away from me.
October 6, 2014