The Professionals Reviews

• 5d ago

A star studded cast in a really bad movie (and spare no expense). Made in 1966 toward the end of the 'Big Studio' period in Hollywood, this one displays why formula movies do not work.

• Jul 18, 2020

Entertaining but predictable western.

Entertaining but predictable western.

• Apr 12, 2020

What a cast! Robert Ryan, Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale, Lee Marvin, and more! Great action!

• Jul 14, 2019

My 2nd favorite Western (after Unforgiven). I get that the plot is a bit thin & some of the lines are a bit corny, but they still convey the inter-relationships of the characters. Not a huge Marvin or Lancaster fan, but love them in this. Palance is weaker yet, but love his character (& yes, we do indeed return to dis-illusioned deaths because we are lost.)

• Feb 26, 2019

A rich Texan, J.W. Grant, selects three men and invites them to his private train to offer them a contract: Rescue his wife who has been kidnapped by a Mexican revolutionary. The leader of the men, Rico, decides they would be a better team if Grant would hire one more man, an explosives expert. Grant quickly agrees and soon the four are off to complete the contract. However, while on the trail, they discover some interesting facts, like has Mrs. Grant 'really' been kidnapped? Stars: Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Jack Palance , Claudia Cardinale The film received Academy Award nominations for Best Direction (Richard Brooks), Best Screenplay (Brooks again), and Best Cinematography (Conrad L. Hall). Exciting explosive sequences, good overall pacing and acting overcome a sometimes thin script. Underrated all-star western.

• Nov 26, 2018

Lee Marvin leads a small group of adventurers into Mexico to rescue Texas railroad man Ralph Bellamyâ(TM)s wife who has been kidnapped by Mexican rebels (formerly fighting for Pancho Villa). The wife is Claudia Cardinale and the chief rebel is Jack Palance (both playing Mexicans). The âgood guysâ? are Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Woody Strode, and Robert Ryan. I felt as though I had seen this before (but I donâ(TM)t think I had). Perhaps Peckinpahâ(TM)s The Wild Bunch (1969), another all-star affair with Robert Ryan, was coming to mind. Lee Marvinâ(TM)s other epic action films mostly take place in WWII (not in Mexico); heâ(TM)s as stony as ever here though. Burt Lancaster seems to be rollicking through the film, as though he was still in a 1950s costume drama, half grinning at the predicaments they find themselves in. Strode and Ryan have less to do and their characters are less developed (if any of these characters are actually developed). At any rate, I pondered whether there was still an audience for this sort of tough guy adventure film (the kind that has a fair amount of sexism thrown in, just because), the sort of uncritical Dad film of the days gone by, resting easily on shorthand and schematics in order to stitch the action sequences to the plot. The action sequences arenâ(TM)t too bad, some suspense is built, and things blow up. Naturally, there is also a twist: the band doesnâ(TM)t quite honour their contract with Bellamy â" but they do stand for honour as a principle.

• Jun 13, 2018

The all-star cast says it all ! A Classic Western that rates in my top 10

The all-star cast says it all ! A Classic Western that rates in my top 10

• Sep 07, 2017

The Professionals is an incredible film. It is about a a wealthy rancher who hires four mercenaries to retrieve his wife, Maria from the clutches of the desperado Raza. Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin give excellent performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. Richard Brooks did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and adventure. The Professionals is a must see.

• Jul 15, 2017

When my lovely girlfriend is not around..is sleeping ..or busy ...or elsewhere ...is when I catch up with Westerns and such...especially culty classics ..especially especially with top notch casts..Lee Marvin would be enough ..Burt Lancaster would be enough ..shux even Ralph Bellamy would be enough If ur into this sort of thing..enjoy too..if not..that's ur problem

• Feb 02, 2017

It seemed to start off strong, but then fell a little flat. The story could have had more to it. You can't fault Lee Marvin or Burt Lancaster as their acting was as good as you could ask for. The best thing the film has going for it is its rich cinematography. It truly is a well-filmed Western. (First and only viewing - 2/16/2017)