Professor Marston & The Wonder Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Professor Marston & The Wonder Women Reviews

July 13, 2018
I struggled with this movie. I wasnt that it was uninteresting its a problem with casting. In particular the two girls who play his wife and mistress. Rebecca Hall was miscast I think. An issue for me is her neck. Her neck to far to long to have that hairstyle she sports now since 2015 The Gift. She is beautiful but looks odd with her long face and giraffe length neck. They needed another actress to play that part. Bella looked to young, like a young Heather Graham. The movie seemed to go on for hours. Luke Evans who looks a little like Alexis Sanchez played a good part but that Welsh accent came through from time to time. I just didnt care enough about the kinky miscast trio.
½ July 4, 2018
Interesting, but boring...
June 28, 2018
An empowering, sexual, sophisticated, delightful, impotent look at one of the most controversial tales of the origins of the greatest and most powerful woman role model in comic history, and one that, like the Wonder Woman film, transcends an important message towards the disgusting, and, honestly, perverse backlash against women lead roles in current media, and women in general; from [examples]Gal as Wonder Woman to Jyn Erso and to the profoundly goergeous Daisy Ridley in Rey, the inept attitudes towards women as of late, whether it be through feminist comments, casting complaints, or the HANEOUSLY UNDESERVED bodyshaming, has gone to an inevitable extreme, one I believe should be stopped at all costs. After all, Beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder, and Beauty defines all living things, both unusual and divine. I believe that message should affect more people, as it did, though controversially then, Professor Marston & his enveloping creation... Diana the Wonder Woman.
June 23, 2018
3/5 Stars

This is a complex movie to review as it is telling a story but there is debate about whether that story is true or not -- and that story itself is pretty complex and controversial. I didn't know any of this going into the movie and, only after, did I spend some time trying to learn more.

Taken on its face, the movie is an interesting story of the creation of Wonder Woman. There is so much I had no idea about. The fact that her creator was the inventor of the lie detector (think of her lasso). The fact that her creator is the inventor of the DiSC theory and that Wonder Woman was his way of talking to the world about DiSC theory (mind blown!). And the idea that Wonder Woman was based on/inspired by his wife and his lover. Or that Wonder Woman was banned and the comic books burned for their content. All of that was interesting and new.
But the movie is dominated by the (purported) relationship between the three main characters.
And what is tricky is there is no evidence of first source material to support most of the movie. So, much of this is the director's creation of what she imagines happened.

In the end, I found the story interesting, but I also left wondering how much of it was true vs. imagined.

Note: The movie deals with some sexual topics in somewhat graphic detail. Folks who might consider themselves more conservative here might not be comfortable with the movie.
June 19, 2018
Did you know. . . the creator of the most influential and well-known female-led comic book of all time was a psychology professor, and inventor of the lie-detector, who was into BDSM and had a polyamorous relationship with a female colleague and teachers assistant? If that doesn't get your attention, I'm not sure what will. Professor Marston and the Wonder Women is the "true story" of how a Harvard professor created a comic book with the intention of giving a young people (boys and girls) a conduit to explore their feelings and develop a healthy understanding of relationships. Taking place 75 years ago, the messages Marston was trying to convey, often were corrupted in favor of more agreeable ideas for the time. Even today, the lifestyle would most likely be shunned, but the on-screen chemistry between the three leads; Marston (Luke Evans) his wife (Rebecca Hall) and their girlfriend (Bella Heathcote) is the foundation on which this movie is built. Hall is an absolute force on screen and one of the most overlooked performers of the year. This movie as a whole was unfortunately overlooked in theaters, but I hope it has a second life on streaming services. If you have a chance, don't pass up this captivating and passionate superhero "origin story."
June 19, 2018
wonderful I would watch this film again.
June 14, 2018
Biopic sobre William Marston un personaje controvertido.
June 13, 2018
Very interesting and worth while film, with all the characters given an emotional depth. Not totally convinced about Angela Robinson's directing style and perhaps a bit too sentimentalist in places but it was fascinating to see the development of the Wonder Woman character.
May 25, 2018
An incredibly gripping memoir of the secret inspiration behind the titular Amazon goddess and the clandestine polyamorous affinity of the creator and his soul mates whose obscure coexistence rivals the greatest of superhero disguises.
½ May 19, 2018
So to summarize the character of Wonder Woman was inspired by the real life kinks of the creator. Stays interesting though the comic itself doesn't have much presence in the film.
½ May 7, 2018
I had no idea about the kinky origins of Wonder Woman. That's the general reaction to this movie, and it's hugely entertaining on that level alone. More deeply, there are three characters and three loving relationships here, each one distinct and fun to watch. They inspired poor Professor Marston, who never had success at business, until his final inspiration, based on the two women in his life. You get to see quick cuts of what W.W. in the 1940s was like, extremely full of bondage and perversity. Perversity in the cause of fighting Nazis and other baddies, how could one object to that? Put together that Prof Marston invented the lie detector, and then the Golden Lasso, and by the way enjoyed ropes on a whole other level, you'll get the picture here.
Of the three characters, I especially enjoyed every line delivered by Rebecca Hall, who played Elizabeth Marston. She tells him early on that she's smarter than him, he agrees, and so does the audience. She's very witty, and sounds so much like Emma Thompson.
Two other notes - I actually got choked up at the real-life picture of elderly Elizabeth Marston and Olive Byrne, who continued to live together for decades after Marston's death. Second, if you watch this on a plane on one of those screens that are mounted in the headrest, you will attract attention from your neighbors.
May 3, 2018
absolutely gorgeous! i'm in love with this movie!
½ April 29, 2018
This was the most meaningful three way relationship I have ever witnessed, they really did live happily ever after. And I didn't know or cared much about what was behind Wonder Woman and I admired the idea.
½ April 17, 2018
A movie about polyamory, kink, feminism and comics. Rebecca Hall was astonishing as Elizabeth and also the only one of the three showing the confusion, conflict and envy that might've been present in real life too. As a love story it was as conventional as any movie romance (maybe that was the point?). I think the interesting idea Marston had about "loving submission" and the importance of obeying was reduced to merely bondage that was presented in the most sensual way possible. The concept of authority wasn't really examined as I would've hoped.

Interesting, well made movie that could've been more courageous and less polished.
April 14, 2018
What the hell did I just watch?

First, what's with the accents? He was American, and his wife was raised in Boston, but yet, somehow the writer and director decided why not have two BRITISH ACTORS playing those parts, despite Luke trying to hide his accent we clearly hear both with British accents. No one that arrives in the US at 5 years old keeps their accent. And the Olive character is AUSTRALIAN? Are they running out of AMERICAN actors to play parts anymore?? Why are so many parts that are AMERICAN played by foreigners?

And let's forget that they (school girls) are supposed to be playing 19-22, but they all look over 30. Did reality just slip away? Olive was around 18 in the movie, but the actor is 30. What? They don't at all.

I don't believe the dialogue written. Doesn't ring true. It was written for a late 1920/30s story with a 2017 third wave feminist perspective. More SJW gibberish. There was no reason for it.

Knowing who the writer and director is it makes sense. Lesbian writer and director making a film about lesbians and feminism.

It was so painful to watch.
April 6, 2018
Inspired by a true story, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women is fascinating biopic about the man who created the DC superhero Wonder Woman. The film follows Harvard psychologist William Marston as he works to develop a lie detector machine and forms a polyamorous relationship between himself, his wife, and a student, which leads to him becoming a pariah in academia and taking up comic book writing. It also attempts to link the sexual overtones in the Wonder Woman comic to Marston's DISC theory and the sexual proclivities of his relationship with his wife and student. Luke Evans, Rebecca Hall, and Bella Heathcote all give strong performances and have good on-screen chemistry. However, before long it drops the facade about being about the Wonder Woman comic and frame story about the its fight with the comic code authority, and just becomes blatant polyamory propaganda. Still, propaganda aside, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women is an interesting (if not over romanticized) look at the inspiration behind one of the most influential feminist icons of the 20th century.
½ March 28, 2018
Without giving too much away, this trio's relationship goes on for decades, but it is the act of watching it evolve and usurp puritanical attitudes to triumph in so many ways that makes this fascinating biopic work as well as it does.
March 26, 2018
This tells unconventional story of the Marston who created Wonder Woman from the two women he loved (and loved each other) in the early 1940's. (He is also credited with inventing the lie detector and not obtaining a patent!) It is an entrailing movie just because the relationships are still unusual today and, you can only imagine, how it was viewed some 70 years ago.
March 25, 2018
Such a good movie about love
March 25, 2018
well made movie with an interesting story. good musical score and acting. just not my kinda movie (ie. romance drama) (1 viewing)