Professor Marston & The Wonder Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Professor Marston & The Wonder Women Reviews

February 19, 2018
Interesting. Interesting to know this background of Wonder Woman and the lie detector. Keeps your attention.
February 15, 2018
Watched it with the wife on Valentine's Day. Could not have picked a better or sexier movie to watch. We both loved it!
February 13, 2018
Demasiado buena, me encanto lo bien estructurada de la película, el mensaje que trato y la critica que hace a la sociedad en cosas que aun hoy son taboo hoy 2017, de pana una obra de arte esta película.
½ February 13, 2018
Interesante historia para conocer sobre el creador de Wonder Woman, y a la misma vez una interesante historia de amor, donde se recae más sobre los roles de las dos mujeres antes que el creador en si
½ February 11, 2018
Marston's story is one of the most passionate origin stories ever told. The controversial life of the creator, the inspiration(s) behind the wonder woman is a wonder in itself. Heathcote's performance as Olive Byrne, the student turned lover to the Marstons is a revelation. You will fall in love with her within seconds. A must watch for lovers of the unconventional life, fans of Wonder Woman & movie lovers in general!
February 10, 2018
Si tout le monde connait le personnage de Wonder Woman, les conditions peu orthodoxes autours de la création du personnage est probablement beaucoup moins connus et Professor Marston & The Wonder Women propose un regard intéressant sur les origines de la plus célèbre des super-héroïnes.
February 10, 2018
One of the best films I have ever seen, a work of art visually and emotionally. Touching and thought provoking.
February 10, 2018
I love biopic movies, they can be over sensualized but tend to be more original when it comes to the story. This of coarse is because they are true stories. Which makes them that much better. I love comics and super heroes, It was amazing to see how Wonder Woman came to be and the meaning behind things that I also thought to be meaningless; Right down to the invisible plane.
February 9, 2018
i thought this was a great movie on professor marston and birth of wonder woman in the beginning despite being loved by 2 women's
February 8, 2018
Though it has strong performances the movie can't get over the fact that its script is weak and not compelling.
½ February 7, 2018
Given the subject matter (Queer, sex positive, feminist), this begged for a less conventional approach.
½ February 6, 2018
It's always interesting to know the back story of how popular historical fictionalized characters evolved.

Not many Wonder Women fans know her true story!

This film will be too hot for many people to handle, but if you leave your puritanical judgment at home, it's interesting. I love wonder women more now than I did before.

For an $8 ticket, you'll get $10 worth of entertainment.
February 5, 2018
Very interesting movie. A social experiment transformed in some everlasting story.
February 5, 2018
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. If you're dying to watch the polygamy version of 50 Shades of Gray, combined with laughably preachy feminism, then this is the movie for you.
February 4, 2018
Wonder Woman was a hit as a comic book in the past and recently a hit at cinemas around the world, so if this story was going to hit the mainstream, it only makes sense that now's the time. It seems as though more and more true stories are being made into films, and this may just be for me personally, but unique and original films seem to be dwindling down and more sequels and remakes taking their place. I believe that filmmakers choose to make true stories nowadays because the lack of original or interesting content is hard to come by, so things that have happened out in the real world seems like a safe bet that people will find enjoyable, for the most part. Quite frankly, I just thought Wonder Woman was made by a man who liked superheroes, but there's much more to it than that. If you wish to be intrigued by a story that's consistently surprising, then Professor Marston and the Wonder Women may just be the film for you.

William Moulton Marston is the original author of the Wonder Woman stories, even though many of the books he wrote used the pseudonym Charles Moulton. Living a life as a professor, he became infatuated with one of his students. His wife sharing the same affections toward her lead to a love triangle between the three of them. William discovering that their traits made up the perfect woman, this lead to the creation of the character we all know and love today. Being a much more sexualized character in the past, things began to spiral out of control for this family.

I loved watching this movie, but I also found myself wanting more in terms of how it was telling this story. I felt as though it was taking me through the motions rather than coming up with a clever way of telling its story. Yes, it has come clever editing techniques in the way that it goes back and forth through multiple periods of time, and even though the editing style was easily the stand out to me here, it wasn't enough to completely suck me in. Where I feel this film shined was in it's casting.

Luke Evans has always impressed me, whether it's an appearance as a generic villain in Fast & Furious 6 or showing his musical talents in Beauty and the Beast just to name a couple, I've always seen him as someone who could be a real household name one day. This is definitely one of his most subtle performances, but the way he hid his accent and played off of each actress/actor. Rebecca Hall is wonderful as always and upon looking up Bella Heathcote's acting credits and seeing that she appeared in movies like In Time and Fifty Shades Darker and still having no clue who she was until now made me think that she wouldn't be memorable, but I can see her starring in her own film in the coming years. She came off as a very likable woman here and I can't wait to see more of her.

In the end, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women uses a lot of techniques that countless other films do in recent years so that was quite the downfall to me, considering the subject matter was so risqué and intriguing for a modern audience, given our present climate. It's not going to be for everyone, due to the fact that the story itself may turn viewers off, but it's a true story that I'm sure many would like to discover. Overall, an impressive movie about the invention of a lovable character that has gone quite a bit under the radar, which is a shame.
February 4, 2018
Ouch ! surprising, disturbing movie, a fundamental of american history.
Another icon of US culture explained
January 30, 2018
another film about the most famous super heroine of all-time but solely focused on the creation
William Moulton Marston was a professor teaching psychology with his wife about how women can be just as strong and as empowering as men with concepts like dominance, submission, and inducement
both of them wanted to better understand the female thinking process so they decide to experiment with one of their students Olive Byrne
next to creating the first ever lie detector all three of them are one of the earliest examples of a polygamous relationship, something that was still considered taboo back in the day
among their desires and explorations Marston creates Wonder Woman as a symbol of truth that women can be strong, free-thinking and powerful
yet Marston faced utter scrutiny from the public claiming his comic book character promoted violence, sadomasochist behavior, and sexual depravity, the books were even banned for a period of time
the film is appropriately dramatic with its 3 leads from Luke Evans to Rebecca Hall to Bella Heathcoate, the music is very graceful, and has a more profound context in terms of its dialogue and history
the underlying tones of freedom and feminist energy really shine, too
another important story to be heard not just about the iconic character but the creators who gave her strength to stand out
½ January 28, 2018
Definitely interesting. The movie is based on Dr. William Moulton Marston's "50 Shades of Gray" type of life that he had with his wife and their lover. He created the Wonder Woman comic, based on his own submissive life.
January 27, 2018
Facial cues are quite in-your-face and irritating. Philosophy spoken is deep yet simple. It is amazing to see that what seems to be an overtly simple story of wonder woman comes from such complex, conflicted yet clear analysis and such a bright creator. It is the mix of two women into one and the beauty of that. Great movie to watch from plot, philosophy and wonder perspective.
January 26, 2018
I'm so glad the marketing for this film was misleading. It didn't make the thing look bad, by any means - it just put Wonder Woman at the center. The creation of that character, the most famous of William Moulton Marston's (the subject of this biopic) many accomplishments, is certainly recounted, but it isn't at the heart of the story. What we have here is a deeply thoughtful, masterfully crafted tale about love, sex, and the human psyche. The director's gentile touch keeps the proceedings gripping where they could be melodramatic - erotic where they could be lurid. As for the three leads - and their performances, which are the key to making this unconventional love story work - they are revelatory. I'm only passingly familiar with Luke Evans. I had no idea he was capable of such subtlety. Hall and Heathcote, the female leads, are simply stunning. The women they create on screen feel REAL - in every achingly beautiful, painful, breathtaking scene. So, yeah - I loved this movie very much - and very little of that has to do with Wonder Woman.
Director Angela Robinson is set to adapt Terry Moore's much-loved Strangers in Paradise graphic novel series as a film, next. I'd rather that story stay on the page - but if it's going to get made, it could not possibly be in better hands.