The Program - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Program Reviews

June 13, 2016
Dramatic look at the college football recruitment process. It's a stale, predictable and cliche attempt at a sports movie. Director Ward who directed the funny Major League, isn't given a strong script.
½ May 5, 2016
A coach is under pressure to win games in this gritty but overdone sports drama.
February 22, 2016
Here's to a new season.

A college football program has gone a few years without making a bowl game and the pressure is coming down on the coach. We follow the quarterback, star running back recruit, and a defensive player who needs steroids to crack the starting line-up deal with the struggles of meeting program expectations versus real life personal struggles. Can the players block out their personal struggles to save the coaches job?

"Fuck you, dough boy, I can read. You see that shoe, it says Adidas."
"I taught him that."

David S. Ward, director of Major League I & II, King Ralph, Down Periscope, and Cannery Row, delivers The Program. The storyline for this picture is very entertaining and fairly well told. There were some rigid performances and scenes that could have been better told, but the story was worth following. The acting was just okay and the cast includes James Caan, Halle Berry, Craig Sheffer, Omar Epps, Kristy Swanson, and Andrew Bryniarski.

"Let's put the women and children to bed and go looking for fucking dinner."

The Program is a movie a lot of us were exciting to see as kids when it first came out. We all would get together and watch this and look forward to our crazy youths in front of us and the lifestyle that was portrayed in this movie. This was amazing then and just above average now watching it as an adult. This is worth watching once but needed a better cast and execution to become a classic.

"If you don't come I'm never going to ask you again."

Grade: C+
½ February 20, 2016
A solid sports drama that touches on the pressures of college football. It had a more realistic nature than your typical feel-good football movie. I liked it. (First and only viewing - 1/21/2016)
January 30, 2016
Kane for president, all hail the screaming Eagles!!
January 16, 2016
Great flick. Some cliches, but a lot of raw and dark turns that give this football movie a unique feel.
½ October 2, 2015
Tried for satire on the college football industry. Some good digs at it; but, ended up with a inconsistent grade on that score. some good characters with poignant stories, especially Duane Davis' turn as LB Alvin Mack. But, eventually the film settled for humor and cliche. Good movie. Not great, but good.
½ April 8, 2015
Remember the Titans this aint.
May 28, 2014
A good football movie that chronicles the ups and downs of college players and what goes on beneath the scenes. Whether it be the star player and his drinking problems, or the over roided athlete who can't stop juicing. An underrated Omar Epps is good here, and Cann is convincing as the programs coach. The dialogue and movie can be cheesy at times but there are good action shots and some very nicely football game scenes.
December 28, 2013
I remember seeing this movie back in the 90's. I thought this was a good movie for its time
January 31, 2013
Love this movie. One of the best sports movies ever
January 13, 2013
One of my favorite football movies. Gets me pumped!
½ January 11, 2013
Pretty good movie. I have to admit this is my favorite sports movie.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
July 31, 2012
One of my top 5 movies
½ July 23, 2012
I'm not really into movies like this one but I have to admit it's really good.
June 7, 2012
Most accurate college football movie ever. Remember the Titans sucks!!!!
May 15, 2012
The best collage movie made. U fell sad about mack, after the injury he suffured near the end of the movie. Still very good football movie. I watch it every time the put it on tv.
May 6, 2012
very true about college football
½ May 5, 2012
poor sports film that disappeared as soon as it was released