Prometheus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prometheus Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
prometheus is good to watch but its one of those films you only watch once.
½ December 30, 2016
Truly, truly awful, in both scripting and acting. The absolute low point was Charlize Theron's character who, when not chewing the scenery, was being squished by ... (check your plausibility filters) a freewheeling spaceship. An absolute raw stinking turd in the Alien canon.
½ December 29, 2016
Finally got around to seeing this movie and it's rather slow but keeps building up to a pretty good ending. Worth a watch if you're into Sci-Fi.
½ December 28, 2016
When I heard Ridley Scott was doing a science fiction movie again I got stoked. I can see why many think this is a prequel to a prequel for the Alien movies. Special effects are top notch! It is part suspense and part horror, with some serious jaw dropping gross out moments. I found myself squirming at times on the couch. Many parts in this movie felt recycled from Alien, when you see it you will know what i mean. Noomi is stellar in this flick and plays a strong Ripley like character in Shaw. Overall I found myself liking this movie but not loving it. Definitely has an ending that leaves room for a sequel.
December 27, 2016
Big things have small begginings. Killer DTS HD Master Audio.
December 27, 2016
Just don't think of it as an Alien prequel.
December 25, 2016
Prometheus follows a group of scientists on an expedition to a distant planet after cave paintings are found at different sights around the world all seemingly depicting the same star system. Ridley Scott claims this isn't an Alien prequel but aesthetically speaking it does feel like one and their are certainly nods to the franchise in the third act. Despite these ties to the original classic that Scott redefined the genre with though Prometheus is disappointing: the opening is ultimately unnecessary, the arrival at the planet feels rushed and the character development minimal to non-existent (save for the few main players) and it certainly lacks the depth of all four of its predecessors despite asking lofty questions and dazzling the eyes with gorgeous production designs and some arresting visuals. Once the film gets going though, and the familiar mythology elements start to introduce themselves, Prometheus becomes an enjoyable and entertaining and, at times, engaging (particularly the scenes with Fassbender's 'David') ride. Leaves us with the possibility for improvement for the prequel-sequel with the ending as well.
½ December 20, 2016
An ambitious movie with outstanding visuals and great ideas, but the existentialist debate never goes beyond obvious, and so even if it has a gripping mystery, this is a frustrating effort that only cares about coming up with more and more questions than ever answering them.
December 17, 2016
To set the record straight, this movie is indeed an 'Alien' prequel. It offers insight to the origins of the alien creatures, the derelict ship, and the dead space jockey pilot from the first film. However, these insights are only part of the plot to Ridley Scott's return to the sci-fi genre. The film holds a lot of promises in the first twenty minutes with it's "humans were created by aliens" concept but the theological and philosophical implications are only touched upon. There is no denying that 'Prometheus' is a great looking film. Scott's manic attention to detail is on full display with the spaceship interior and vehicles. The cinematography and top-notch visuals give the film's universe a sense of vastness. As great as the film looks, it is taken down by a cliche and very convoluted script. The film sets out for new territory to explore but only ends up treading over the same ground as it's predecessors. The film becomes such an 'Alien' knock-off that it even has the 'crew member having a secret agenda' twist. Aside from the android David (played fantastically by Michael Fassbender), the rest of the characters are bland, with most existing just to be alien bait. Plus the number of confusingly ridiculous moments and un-answered questions plague the film as it plods along. It's a shame that even with Ridley Scott back at the helm, this latest entry in the Alien franchise can't escape mediocrity. In all honesty, it should have stopped with 'Aliens'.
December 12, 2016
When I completed watching the film I found myself both frustrated but also wanting to like it. It is no secret that multiple writers with different visions touched this script, and it left some plot loop holes in the final product. The motivations of many of the characters are unclear and confusing. Charlize Theron in particular seems to have had her character inserted without any purpose in moving the story forward and, at no fault of her own, could be completely removed from the film without disrupting the plot. The visual affects are great and Michael Fassbender's performance is as always fascinating to watch. I found this worth watching but hope that Alien: Covenant will be more consistent when ti comes to story.
½ December 5, 2016
Not as good as Alien or Aliens, but still good except a couple idiotic characters. Amazing visuals.
November 28, 2016
Dint under stand what the point of the movie was about, great imagry
November 25, 2016
Terrible film. The visuals are nice and that's about all I can say that's good about this film. The audio is average. The story is awful and every single one of the characters is incredibly poorly developed and is either uninteresting or moronic. The premise was interesting enough but completely ruined by how the scientists believed that there was an alien race that created them, when they had no evidence to support that fact! I would never believe these people to be scientists and therefore this movie completely fails in making believable characters. There is honestly nothing redeemable about this film, you would get enjoyment out of almost anything else.
November 24, 2016
Different from it's prequels but this film is entertaning. Like how they set-up Ridley Scott's Alien franchise
November 22, 2016
For fans of the Alien movies also directed by Ridley Scott, this is a must see prequel.

It's a sci fi horror. There is a premise in the movie that humans came from giant space-faring ancestors. And, that is not the only thing that came from them.

Is it just my imagination, or does main female character Elizabeth Shaw played by Noomi Raplace remind us a lot of Sigurney Weaver as Ripley in the original Alien?

Very suspenseful. Well done. And yes, horrifying. Leaving some unanswered questions.
½ November 20, 2016
A real cool chapter in the Alien mythology. The aesthetics, atmosphere and mystery are as good as ever.. rivaling the original Alien installment.. despite the fact that it is almost a mirror image of the original ~ right down to the android and the female protagonist. But it does fill in a few answers for us and of course adds a few more questions to the mix. To me it's more of an artistic film, a chance to indulge in some more of the thrilling artwork that made Alien so brilliant. And of course the beautiful shots of Iceland is a personal best for me, so I have to give this movie a big thumbs up in the end. ;)
November 13, 2016
Very good must watch, Dynamic special effects. horror/suspense movie prometheus is riveting to the very end
November 8, 2016
4/5 Ratings for Prometheus
F: 73%
R:27%
SciFi 50% Mystery 10% Fantasy 40%
November 6, 2016
Mucha expectativa para una pelicula que prometía mucho, impresionante puesta en escena y efectos especiales