Promise at Dawn (La promesse de l'aube) Reviews

• Susan P
    Sep 09, 2019

superb acting compelling story.

superb acting compelling story.

• garygary
    Sep 08, 2019

WOW!! French writer Romain Gary has more in common with me that just his pen name, like me he was a Mama's Boy. Sort of a French Hemingway with mostly mommy issues as well as military service in WW2. There was also the command from his Mother: "Go Kill Hitler!" This amazing movie starts during RG's boyhood and continues thru every phase of his amazing life. No shortage of drama, to say the least. RIght now this is playing at the Quad cinema on 13th st in Manhattan (9/6/19). I was able to see the Mom in the movie in person, the great French actor Charlotte Gainsbourg showed up for a post-screening Q&A. What a bonus !! That was a one-time deal but if U know any momma's boys treat them to this movie, they'll love this Momma too!

• Annie G
    Sep 08, 2019

We enjoy the movie very much,its the story of Romain Gary a very famous French novelist who left Poland with is mother as a child for the south of France, to escape the the arrival of power of Hitler, the love of this mother for her son, who self sacrifice her life and raised him alone, Charlotte Gainsbourg who play the mother show us what a fabulous actress she is.

• Mar 09, 2019

Terrific movie about the great French writer and war hero Romain Gary and his mother and how their relationship shaped his life. Based on his 1961 book. Seen at the Sedona Film Festival.

• Feb 04, 2019

Promesa al amanecer [2017]

Promesa al amanecer [2017]

• Jan 10, 2019

I attended the New York premiere of the film.I didn't know anything of Romain Gary's life at the start of the film, but was very moved by the story, told in flashback, moving from his childhood to the beginning of his career as a world-famous author. Charlotte Gainsbourg is convincingly obsessive as his mother. Critics who write here about her performance being over-the-top probably didn't have a Jewish mother. Based on Gary's autobiography, this story was also made in 1970 by Jules Dassin, with Melina Mercouri playing the mother. I would like to see that! Otherwise this one has fine acting by PIerre Niney and the two boys who play Gary in childhood. Worth seeing, though a bit long and somewhat repetitive in the many scenes of his return to mom.