Proof - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Proof Reviews

December 17, 2015
Good movie- could have gone a million places with it- feels slightly incomplete
Robert B.
October 6, 2015
Proof is a nice little film I rate up mainly on account of the performances and some good moviemaking. Gwyneth Paltrow gives an earnest performance and makes for a sympathetic and believable lead. The other actors are up to par and nicely compliment her character. The film tries to hit a sentimental note, and move the audience with some dramatic scenes. I cannot say it totally comes off, but it comes off well-enough. Proof is a bit like a modern day Bergman film, with similar kind of heart, but is more optimistic.
October 2, 2015
A movie with a winning formula of beautiful storyline, well-casted actors and actresses, elegantly directed. An inspiring piece where what separates genius and insanity is just a simple trust, when courage means taking just one extra step. A movie that shows there is no proof required, because a beautiful heart and mind is bulletproof.
October 1, 2015
It started off OK but started to get a bit bizarre!
August 13, 2015
Good performances in a bad film.
½ August 4, 2015
Entertaining and different take on a love story. Very Good.
July 1, 2015
The only verb directly comes to mind is "bouleverser". Not in the way that usually sentimental movies tugging on certain threads of emotional cords, but something about the loss and sorrow.

I do recognize the life of the mathematicians. It is not important of any particular speciality - math or physics or chemistry -but a life of mind. I am among the truly gifted ones who have their daemons standing and prodding them steadily toward the higher reaches of discovery and even fames, but I did have glimpses of the pure beauty that resides resolutely above the life quotidian. The movie mentioned the imaginary unit "i" as the geek rock bands play in complete silence. I know how this non-existed number (which is the square-root of minus -1) defines the boundary of what is tangible, to what is realm of pure ideas. It may be an inside joke in the movie, but it can mean something very solemn for those of us who had previously pestered our professors with "but it does not exist in reality". It is something we can not know perceptually, yet this pure idea has made much of our electronic technology possible.

The crux of the story, I think, lies the conflicting demands of intellect and heart. In the scene where the deranged father forced the daughter to read out his "proof" in the snowing night, I can see something more than the sorrow and suffering, the futile struggle against the disintegrating body, but a sense of affirmation of human bond. Does it really matter that there is a breakthrough in math when there are such two souls linking together against the inclemency of age and disease?
May 14, 2015
Interesting story about a mathematician who goes crazy and his daughter who tries to keep it together. Pretty good. But Paltrow as 27...?! cmon.
February 26, 2015
pointless and not nearly bold enough but very smart.
February 13, 2015
Kinda confusing, but I don't remember thinking it was that bad.
January 18, 2015
Jake was good, hopkin was good, Paltrow was ehh and the story is ok. It's a good film for people who like math.
October 11, 2014
Beauty Within Insanity. A Strong Performance From Gwyneth Pumps The Heart & Soul Of A Good Piece Of Mathematical Drama.
½ August 30, 2014
A stunning performance by Gwyneth Paltrow.
½ August 5, 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow gives the performance of her life in the powerful character drama Proof. In the wake of her father's death after a prolonged struggle with Alzheimer's disease, Catherine starts to question her own sanity, which gets exacerbated when her father's former grad student discovers a mathematical proof that she claims to have written but looks like her father's work. Accompanying Paltrow are Anthony Hopkins and Jake Gyllenhaal, who both deliver extraordinary performances. But it's Paltrow's outstanding work that carries the film, as she gives a brilliant introspective look into the mind of Catherine as she struggles to find the truth and come to terms with her fears. Yet some credit needs to go to director John Madden, who does an incredible job at drawing the audience into Catherine's struggle, and keeps the question of her mental illness and the authorship the proof constantly in question. Proof is an exceptionally well-crafted and transcendent film that deals with some provocative and controversial issues.
½ July 28, 2014
An intelligent tense screenplay from what was a great play makes very fascinating viewing, with a to die for cast who all play their parts to the hilt. Don't miss it. Who would have thought a play about math so engrossing?
July 26, 2014
DREADFUL......AWFUL.....POINTLESS....RUBBISH.....I DID NOT ENJOY THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A REALLY BAD AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH ITS SO POINTLESS ITS AWFUL ITS RUBBISH I REALLY DID NOT LIKE THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A REALLY BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH,......ITS SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH ITS GOT A GOOD CAST BUT THEY ARE ALL WASTED IN THIS MOVIE.....ITS SUCH A DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH ITS JUST SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH.....ITS SO DREADFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH.....
July 24, 2014
I love the premise, and Gwyneth Paltrow executes the brilliant-maybe-crazy role really well.
June 21, 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow in the role of a woman scared to have the same disease as her late father Anthony Hopkins had. Basically a good drama that was transferred from a play to the big screen.

This has all the elements to be an excellent drama. John Madden who has directed several excellent films before is just perfect to handle this cast and this story. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of go or movement in Proof. Excellent acting by the whole cast and honestly nothing that should be lacking. But for this feature, there seems to be something lacking to keep the flow and rhythm on an even keal. I have a feeling the script writer of the original play should have altered or added to the story. I guess it is just a misfire of transfer from one medium to another.

I will say that I did enjoy the movie. If you've gotten this far in my short review, there was just something missing to make it a great movie. I wish it had been.
½ April 3, 2014
It makes me want to read the play just to see if it has a bigger gravity to it than the movie. I liked the story, and loved the cast, but it feels like something was lost in translation when it got turned into a film. The ending seemed rushed and wasn't satisfying.
March 23, 2014
This could've been a great film if Paltrow weren't casted. Anthony Hopkins and the prince of Persia himself were solid and like able. Paltrow, whom I find physically repulsive, was an akward love interest for gylenhaal, seeing as she's 8 years his senior and at the time of the film, looked more like 15 years his elder. Then she goes into her mopey craziness trying to look cinematically haggard, but comes off more as a discarded, shapeless sponge in sweatpants. You feel no compassion for her character which is a pivotal role for the films emotional platform. You just wonder if they found the greatest actor of all time, and one of the hottest actors at the moment, why did they settle for a female who was neither on par with their ability or beauty?