Proteus: A Nineteenth Century Vision Reviews

• May 31, 2013

It was a story, very slow - moving....can be skipped.

It was a story, very slow - moving....can be skipped.

John B Super Reviewer
    Feb 24, 2012

Yuck! What is this thing supposed to be? What it is, is a mess.

Yuck! What is this thing supposed to be? What it is, is a mess.

• Nov 02, 2010

Mala, y esa mezcla de à (C)pocas fue terrible.

Mala, y esa mezcla de à (C)pocas fue terrible.

• Apr 13, 2010

Though newer, this film did not acheive the level of style and creativity in the director's earlier piece "Lilies". It was even more depressing, and less surreal-- the addition of random plastic bags, chain link fences, and radios in the 1700s seemed more like a glitch than anything, while Lilies has so much weirdness that it becomes easy to accept. The characters did not have much chemistry, not helped by the Dutch guy seeming almost devoid of personality to start with. Why is it that relationships in gay movies so often seem random, the characters just jumping on each other one day when they didn't even like each other previously? Maybe it's just that I'm not a gay man, so I'm not picking up on the subtler vibes there.

• May 15, 2009

Dejando de lado los irritantes anacronismos y la mala fotografia (es video digital?), podemos encontrar un filme solido. Interesante historia con algunos chispazos creativos. Aunque nada del otro mundo.

• May 12, 2008

Ultimately not oppressive enough to drive the point home, but it did have enough integrity to override the artsy bits.

• Jan 18, 2008

Found it boring and slow. Not entertaining and definitely not the kind of movie I'll remember by tomorrow

• Jan 10, 2008

Pretty cool I guess, but full of anachronisms which was bugging me!

Pretty cool I guess, but full of anachronisms which was bugging me!

• Dec 02, 2007

A very touching story about the two men set in 1725. If you've been to Cape Town, Robben Island and you are a gay person, it is very interesting and emotional to watch, the backdrop of Cape Town is Wonderful from Robben Island. Despite being a low budget flim it is excellent!

• Sep 21, 2007

John Greyson is another favourite director and I may have to add Lilies to my movie list. This is a beautiful love story and a favourite because it's about South Africa. And prison. I enjoy prison movies. A very sad film.