Protocol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Protocol Reviews

½ April 13, 2015
A witless Private Benjamin joins the state department.
February 8, 2015
Silly but enjoyable Goldie Hawn vehicle about a cocktail waitress who foils an assassination attempt. Her charm leads the presidents' handlers to add her to their diplomatic corp, where he begins a 1980s twist on "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" with some touches of "Born Yesterday." Buck Henry wrote the script, which makes the comedy a bit sharper than you'd expect from a Goldie Hawn comedy. The film features a lot of familiar 80s character actors. My favorites were Amanda Bearse (in her film debut) and John Ratzenberger as "Security Guard on TV"and Al Leong as "Cook."
½ January 2, 2014
Loved it! Very funny.
June 7, 2013
Non-offensive. Unexciting. Unfunny. Sounds like the perfect fit for a film about the State Department in the Reagan era.
December 8, 2012
Typical 80s Goldie Hawn ditz. I can't imagine being so easy going but she does it perfectly.
July 28, 2012
Sounds like a funny movie to watch.
February 16, 2012
Lackluster comedy, although the wacky political adventure suits the perfected 'dumbstruck' talents of Goldie Hawn.
½ January 22, 2012
This was Goldie Hawn's worst movie.
½ June 3, 2011
Easily Goldie Hawn's worst movie. Billed as a comedy its more a comical trainwreck. Spawned during Goldie's post-Private Benjamin 80s popularity spike, Protocol is a boring and simply awful mess.. No laughs, pointless story and just a bunch of boring old white guys blabbering politics and diplomacy while Goldie looks cute and tries to diffuse the situation with her charm...only she doesnt have any. Hence this movie's downfall. She is just not good enough of an actress to carry an entire film. Can you name any one else who was in this movie? I sure as hell cant. There's a reason why she was the designated eye candy on Laugh In. Nothing she ever uttered mattered or was relevant. Shes just supposed to sit and look cute like a hot mannequin, not carry a crap script on her shoulders. Hell, she can barely keep her head up there.
½ May 14, 2011
Not a great follow up from Private Benjamin but if your ever shot in the ass you should watch.
½ March 21, 2011
Young Goldie is adorable as usual but the movie is just blah as most political satires are to me.
½ January 3, 2011
"There's something funny going on in Washington. Goldie's about to become a diplomat."

After ditsy, Washington, D.C., cocktail waitress Sunny Davis (Goldie Hawn) single-handedly saves an Arab dignitary (Rich Romanus) from an assassination attempt, she becomes an overnight media darling. Soon White House bureaucrats hire her to work in the protocol office, and Sunny earnestly navigates her new role. But when she discovers she's being used as a political pawn, she takes matters into her own hands -- sending global diplomacy into a tailspin. Good premise with a very good Goldie Hawn and a quality cast that includes Chris Sarandon, Ed Begley Jr, and Jean Smart that never gets off the ground.

Vice President Merck: Sunny, what are your plans?
Sunny Davis: I don't have any. I mean, well, I have a job at the Safari club and Lou, well, he's my boss and he's really a nice guy and everything, but business hasn't been so hot and I was kind of hoping for an advancement, you know, but the problem is that Lou's aunt works the cash register and his sister's the hostess so I'm just gonna have to wait around until one of 'em quits or drops dead. I guess you know what that's like, hmm?
Vice President Merck: Hmm!
½ October 14, 2010
Mildly entertaining and horribly horribly patriotic. Remember (in title only) seeing it as a kid.
½ August 10, 2010
Not as funny as most of her films but Goldie Hawn shines bright in this political satire. After saving a diplomat's life, she is hired to work in the protocol office and starts to turn Washington D.C. upside down. Die hard fans will like it more than others, but it's still worth a see!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ April 23, 2010
Goldie Hawn is one of my favorite comedienne.
Most part of the movie is a silly comedy, but those are closed with her long speech. The sequence of the public hearing at the end of the movie is very nice. Especially last three words by her.
½ September 12, 2009
Terriblely unfunny and very boring story where goldie saves a diplomats life and is then used for media spin
August 4, 2009
Cute Goldie Hawn vehicle, with Chris Sarandon playing the part that Kurt Russell usually plays. Still, he looks good and the movie is cute, so it's a winner all around.
July 31, 2009
I collect camels!
Goldie pulls a camel on the poster for this movie!

I love this movie for a myriad of silly reasons! It is silly and yet quite tongue in cheek. I worked for the government for 17.5 yrs and totally recognize the characters in this movie! Knew them- worked for them! Seldom got to work with or under them, these people sadly still run our government! Watch and learn in fun!

Fresh take of becomming an American!
This values the movie, Goldie's character first learning about the Declaration Of Independence and Our Bill of Rights while sharing with Muslam Women, very touching scene in this otherwise very silly and truly fun little movie!

It is simply silly in the underdog triumph way of the little guy/gal in America can sometimes outsmart all the wise-school learnin' of snotty arrogance that will sell us out for a buck & a !

Comedy=Silly Fun Stuff, silliness, funny stuff, sillier than serious, from the silly to the sublime as I say, all shades of silly set off my funny bone for different reasons and I try not to over Anaylse That!

Early Gay theme dealt with very charmingly!
BTW---Will & Grace stuff!
February 1, 2009
Elle est trop drĂ´le dans ses vieux films.
January 17, 2009
Long before there was "Legally Blonde 2", Goldie Hawn gave us this hilarious bit of Washington satire ... you can probably find it at your local Circuit City "goin' out of business" sale